Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Playing a non-caster is fun sometimes if your caster friends don't take their most powerful spells and instead focus on buffing you, like the time that my 11th level dervish had haste, sonic weapon, greater invis, recitation, and circle against evil (so I couldn't be dominated). We were fighting something really big with a lovely AC and I critted twice on my four attacks while I was power attacking for full and did 250 points of damage in one round. I killed it in the next round.

Of course if our sorcerer had been rocking phantasmal killer it probably would've died in the first round rather than the third.

edit: later on we had a fight where four of the five monsters had dispel magic at will which meant I didn't have any cool buffs and also the magic circle vs. evil that kept me from getting hosed by a lot of stuff was gone so I was Mazed and stunned and poo poo constantly

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It's actually encounter levels - if your GM makes up encounters based on straight stacking CRs he's doing it wrong. After level 3 or 4, an EL+3 or +4 encounter is totally legit, and in the 10+ area a really challenging fight is probably going to be EL+6 or so

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

happyelf posted:

yeah he's pretyt good, i actually bought some art off him for a nerd book i'm (very slowly) finishing atm

^^^^try and guess what role and power source combo this guy is^^^^^

zealous demagogue

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

All large monsters (and nearly everything past 13th level is large) have 10 foot reach. Thats right, a horse will ruin your spell casting powers. School spec changes are better, I'll admit that; they aren't overpowered though, just useful. And you better drat get good divination powers because the school isn't terribly good for anything other than locating, scouting, or the occasional illusion.

Unless they changed reach in pathfinder somebody's been running horses wrong.

quote:

Also, you need to be level 11 to cast greater invisibility. At that point, there are plenty of monsters who are immune to illusions including undead, stronger deamons/devils, constructs, elementals, not to mention the ones who have blind sight (or tremor sense if indoors/underground). Don't forget breath weapons and AOE attacks don't have to be exact.

They're immune to mind effecting spells, not illusions.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Please describe to me a non-magical way to fly.

edit: becuase my point is without this vaunted non-magical way to fly the Wizard just floats around with Overland Flight on until the Scroll of Anti-Magic Shell runs out and then he casts the spells on the Fighter.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 22, 2010

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Oh wait, a 20th level wizard? He casts Gate and chuckles as a monster summoned by a Conjuration(Calling) (as opposed to summon) destroys you for him. Say, a Titan, who sunders the Fighter's weapons and then proceeds to pound you into a puddle of slime.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Plus the only scenario which you have described that actually works is the anti-magic shell one because if the Wizard feels at all threatened in rounds 1, maybe round 2, he gets out of the Fighter's reach, in round 2 or 3 he disjunctions you, and then you're dead in the following rounds.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Piell posted:

Also laffo at "10 ranks of UMD and a scroll of anti-magic shell", you need to hit a 31 UMD check to use that scroll. Hope your fighter has 30 charisma to have a 50/50 shot of making that check, buddy.

It's a 26 I think but yeah

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Friends of mine who are pretty solid powergamers said that the thing isn't particularly overpowered. It gets lots of actions, but Wizard summoning isn't particularly impressive and the Eidolon's attack bonus is terrible.

EDIT: Woah hey looks like the buffed that sucker.

EDIT2: Actually I'm back to unimpressed. Your 26 tentacle monster is hitting at a +18 at level 20. I dunno. It's probably mid-powerful because it never gets super high level spells, other than Gate.

EDIT3: Ugh nevermind look at that spell list. I doubt he's any more powerful than a wizard, but unless it's a really good player who spends a lot of out of game prep time he'll probably drag the game.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 28, 2010

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You memorize a specific number of cantrips, and then you cast them as many times as you want.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

I just have a quick rules question about Sneak Attack. I'm allowed to ask here, right? ...Right?

Does a rogue get the +xd6 to each and every attack made while an opponent is flat-footed/flanked/whatever? Like, say you attack as a full-round action with two weapons, with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, so you've got 10/5 with one hand and 9/4 with the other (or whatever). If you hit with all four of those, do you get your sneak attack damage four times?

Yes, this is the advantage of sneak attack-type builds is the "blender" routine wherein you get a lot of attacks to stack that damage.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Never be anything other than a full caster.

Seriously unless you have some build you've thought up that's quirky that you'll think you enjoy don't do it.

If you stay full caster you'll be a 14th level caster by level 14!! 3 levels later you can cast wish. Don't be dumb.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I just think it'd be sort of fun to play a melee wizard, I'm just trying to figure out if it would render me entirely useless in combat.

It probably wouldn't render you entirely useless but it's difficult and irritating especially lacking the tools that the complete series of books offered gish types.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Didn't you read he doesn't care about being optimum!

*picks most optimum school*

That's a dumb response. He explained why he picked conjuration and wizard summoning is terrible so if that's what he does it ended up being a sub-optimal choice.

edit: If it makes you happy to swing a sword around and you're OK with being sub-optimal I doubt it will totally gimp you. I wouldn't personally do it, but if you're summoning celestial eagles anyway it's probably not going to do too much harm.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 13, 2010

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Just memorize it and then forget about it until poo poo looks like it's going South (as it can often do suddenly in 3.*) and then whip it out.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

Well paladin with a bow is a little odd, but I don't see anything wrong with someone taking craft. Maybe their character has an actual job that they do when they're not murdering goblins. Or maybe carpentry (or whatever) is a serious hobby for them. If they want to multi-class into paladin to placate their patron deity that could be an interesting oppurtunity for some side questing. If people are branching out from pure combat, your DM should make an effort to lower the difficulty of the encounters.

skill points are way too critical and fiddly if you want to make certain kinds of prestige classes to gently caress around with craft or profession or whatever

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Idran posted:

Really? I've never done much optimization-wise, what kinds are those? I always thought skills were the easy part of things.

Well to be honest those were mostly from the Complete line of books. Dunno how bad pathfinder has it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Uh, if the party's 18 int wizard with 5 ranks in alchemy rolls a 6 or better three weeks in a row they'll finish a flask of acid in that time. I'm not sure they really earned that.

edit: actually i just did the math and it's probably more like four weeks. i guess that might be ok

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 21, 2010

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Or just throw the occasional high-AC monster at the party - it's not like his attack bonuses are great

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A 20th level wizard who is int focused has 5 ninth level spells and literally 50 other spells of various levels to cast. One more per level if he's specialized

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Sorcerers are sometimes more fun than wizards, I think, if less optimal. Once you hit level 8 or 9 you have so many spells per day that, even less than a wizard, you don't really need to worry about conserving your spell resources. Plus, it occasionally gives you options that you wouldn't have otherwise.

One time around level 9 in Living Greyhawk a party my sorcerer with was completely terrible and we were stuck in the water fighting a couple of water elementals that totally outclassed us. Instead of sticking around, I grabbed the only guy next to me and d-doored to the shore that was just at the outer limit of my range. The next round I cast haste, and the following round I cast swift fly and ran-flew essentially the entire distance. The following round I swift flew, dived after a couple of my party members, and d-doored them away again. Repeat this whole thing one more time. A wizard would never have three d-doors prepped - it'd be a silly use of his resources.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Wands are hella expensive man

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

grah posted:

Only if you insist on buying them with a full 50 charges. You can dramatically decrease the price of a wand by being willing to come down to 10 or 20 charges.

In order to craft a wand by the rules, you have to craft all 50 charges.

It's possible you'll find the occasional wand that's been consumed down to a convenient number of charges but probably not every spell you could possibly want.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Actually they might have changed it in the magic item compendium, I forget.

It's irrelevant for Pathfinder though since they use the base d20 rules

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Wands are cool and all but you have to either spend a move action drawing them(then a standard or wait for next round to make a full), or spend the feat slot on quickdraw to maximize their usefulness.

wands are a standard action??

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A wand of summon monster is dumb as hell anyway because it's the minimum caster level unless you want an even more super expensive wand

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A couple of rods of lesser extend will be your friend if you like buffing at all!! Lesser rods of empower are also cool, although I'm not really familiar with the inquisitor spell list.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Well keep in mind that if you're fighting something like undead or constructs you'll have to spend an action to suppress merciful.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I think he just means a character that isn't super dependent on the rest of the party (fighter) and without too much potential to gently caress up other players if you do something a little wrong.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Well, if pathfinder didn't change the wording of wild and your DM is the sort to allow bullshit rules lawyering you could pick up a Wild Tower Shield

edit: yeah, according to the PFSRD you should be able to use it without any problems

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2011

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Maybe just explain how things are and offer them the chance to rebuild? They can probably make mechanical adjustments without totally destroying their characters.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
SR is also dangerous, if you drop and need to be healed, your healer has to get through the SR in order to help you out.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

LightWarden posted:

Aw, you missed the fun of the high level opponents. Level and ability drain everywhere. And Malcanthet atop a throne of writhing limbs in a throne room that is a continuous orgy.

Yeah man I love trying to figure out the impact of ability drain plus damage in addition to the impact of lost levels combined with round-by-round tracking of various buffs

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Ironically organized play tends to exacerbate the problem because the fact that there's a more standardized "formula" for how a module plays out means you can plan your resources around four encounters, and very likely you'll get a chance to rest at least once. So going nova doesn't have the same impact as an extended multi-session dungeon crawl like you get in a home campaign.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

I can't imagine a DM dickish enough to rule that you're not touching yourself unless you have an open hand, but then again if they're still running a 3.x game...

Look man the power says lay on hands, you're lucky I'm letting you do it with just one hand.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The other problem with monk is that SR is kind of a mixed bag because if you need in-combat healing your cleric either has to beat your SR or you have to spend an action suppressing it.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

peak debt posted:

I don't think this has been true since 3rd Edition. SR is always inactive against harmless spells.

Spell Resistance
Spell resistance is a special defensive ability. If your spell is being resisted by a creature with spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) at least equal to the creature’s spell resistance for the spell to affect that creature. The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks. Include any adjustments to your caster level to this caster level check.

The Spell Resistance entry and the descriptive text of a spell description tell you whether spell resistance protects creatures from the spell. In many cases, spell resistance applies only when a resistant creature is targeted by the spell, not when a resistant creature encounters a spell that is already in place.

The terms "object" and "harmless" mean the same thing for spell resistance as they do for saving throws. A creature with spell resistance must voluntarily lower the resistance (a standard action) in order to be affected by a spell noted as harmless. In such a case, you do not need to make the caster level check described above.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

But why are some spells marked with spell resistance yes or no?

Because spells that are SR:No don't need to pass an SR check to effect them.

Harmless is only relevant for Saving Throws, really. It just means you can take a saving throw if you want. It's important for spells like cure light - nobody except undead ever want to make a saving throw against it, but without the (harmless) entry you'd be forced to make a saving throw every time the cleric wanted to heal you.

The difference of course is that lowering your SR is a standard action while choosing to fail a saving throw isn't any kind of action.

edit: If there's one thing that all that Living Greyhawk was good for, it was learning all the ins and outs of tiny, stupid rules like this.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 8, 2011

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Devorum posted:

The gunslinger isn't that bad. We have one in our group, and with the feats to reload faster and not provoke AoO he is not only holding his own, but often has superior DPS to the rest of the group. His ammunition does get expensive...but past a certain level, what else are you going to do with the money?

Sure, he doesn't do as many tricks as some classes, but it's definitely not a "bum class".

More and better magic items? There's always something more and super expensive that's worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Agreed, and as far as weapon enchants go keen is pretty unimpressive.