Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Does the outlook look good that the 'August' release implies GenCon?

"August" for anything tabletop RPG should ALWAYS be read as "GenCon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have been informed that Galt doesn't actually look like what its name might suggest it is.

This pleases me.

It's more "Revolutionary France if the guillotine mobs never knew when to stop and spent a hundred plus years plotting to overthrow the current batch of backbiting bastards so they can install their own, new band of backbiting bastards."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

There is already some precedent for something along those lines in Pathfinder, the Half-Undead option for creating races.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

juggalo baby coffin posted:

hmm that's a good point.

or even.. sailor ettercap

the ettercap is my favourite ugly-cute monster and i really wish they had player race stats in pathfinder

By my math they come out somewhere around 25-30 RP, depends on how you want to normalize stats and how much a bonus to a really specific skill like Craft (traps) is worth.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I've got my books. I'm pretty "meh" about it. I definitely don't hate it, and I can see how it'll play better in many ways than 1e, but still, it just doesn't feel like what I think of for the games I want to run and play in. Some of 1e's issues are "feature, not a flaw" type of stuff to me.

Maybe it's just because I usually play spellcasters and I like the chance to make the laws of physics scream for mercy every so often, but the spells here are underwhelming.

Also the "ancestries" change irritates me a bit. I know "races" is a loaded word, and an inaccurate one, to use in describing things in the 21st Century, but it's just such a bedrock traditional term for RPGs in my head. Every damned game for 40+ years has used it. If you want to go to that degree of adjustment in language used, then why not go even further and change "classes" to "careers", since "class" might make people think of the socio-economic disparity in modern society? There's a point past which it all gets a little silly, and I guess that's one that hits my "too far" threshold.

(Though I'd be alright with abandoning the 3d6-based ability scores and just going to straight +/- modifiers as the ability scores. I'm somewhat inconsistent in my "back in my day" neckbeard grognard-ery.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Iomedae has no LN followers? Dafuq? Lamashtu is CE only? Pharasma has no CN?

Who came up with all of this mess? The 1e "one step away" rule actually made some sense.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nihilarian posted:

no gods, no alignment

So run Dark Sun?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Staring at the SRD and I think I'm missing something - do weapon proficiencies count as skills? Can you increase them when you increase your skills?

Let's say I take the elf weapon feat on my nerdy spellcaster to get access to longbows. The feat let's me treat longbows as a simple weapon. If I take sorcerer I'd get natural increases to my simple weapon profs, and so I'd get better with the longbow over time.

But a wizard only gets increased profs in a subset of weapons, so I'd be poo poo at the bow for all time, right?

I think. I mean, I'd read it that way. Now an Alchemist, they'd treat martial elven weapons as simple, and their proficiency increases for all simple weapons, therefore I'd assume it would increase the proficiency of an Elven Alchemist with the appropriate Ancestry feat.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

All Paizo releases are supposed to work that way. A 2020 release takes place in AR 4720. Just add 2700 years to get the current date in Aroden Reckoning (AR).

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Pyronic posted:

ahhhh i never experienced a ton of 3.5 and never from the DMing end.

While looking more into Summoner/Unchained Summoner (as per leshy talk a few pages ago)

It seems like discussion and excitement of the Summoner as a class basically died as soon as Pathfinder Unchained came out. Like everyone saw that Pathfinder deemed it Nerf-worthy and banned the original summoner in PFS and then everyone just stopped playing the class.

In all my delving the internet for weird class ideas and builds i've rarely seen so few people actually discussing a pathfinder class.

New Pet idea for a high level campaign: Construct Caller Summoner Giant Robo adventure

Legendary Games has you covered - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199966/The-Robot-Summoner

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Roadie posted:

and that's very easy to houserule or add a skill feat for.

I think that's my big problem with 2e vs 1e. Tons of ways to fix things in 2e, but they all take up feat slots that characters need just to keep up the class features that were automatic in 1e. Tons more options than even in 1e, but you can have a lot fewer of them with any one character.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blockhouse posted:

That's such a minor problem compared to all the 1e baggage 2e completely sidesteps or improves on, though.

Our definitions of "minor problem" and "baggage" obviously vary.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Merciful Spell is a normal metamagic for 3.x D&D and now Pathfinder. It's just part of the game. Nothing noteworthy.

https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Merciful%20Spell

Traits and class abilities let you deal non-lethal damage at no attack penalty, reflecting training or oaths around how to avoid killing if at all possible are also just things in the game.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 12, 2020

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arivia posted:

PDF is out to subscribers now, wide release end of month.

PDF is out to a small number of subscribers, but not all of us.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arivia posted:

That's weird. Is that one of those charter subscriber things?

Nope. Otherwise I'd have mine. The algorithms for their shipping process are a mystery to a great many people. Afaik, they base it on SKUs almost.

"Kvantum's subscribed to lines 1, 2, and 4 but none of the rest so when do we send out those boxes?"

"Thursday next week."

"Sucks to be him."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

thespaceinvader posted:

Wow, the guards pay themselves using civil forefeiture? Whateverthefuck could POSSIBLY go wrong with that holy poo poo Paizo.

The anarchy of an under-policed city?!

This was... definitely written in 2010s America.

Yeah. Yikes. If ever there were an AP to do automatically improving bonuses and just a set guard's salary, this would be it. Yeesh.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blockhouse posted:

doubleposting because APG is out! Lost Omens Legends isn't yet because they broke the PDF purchasing link

look at this loving kobold!

I'm not a fan of the 2e Kobold look. Too much like brightly colored Gila Monsters and less Dragon-lings.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Let's take it to the absurd. Level 19 Monk with One-Inch Punch and +3 Major Striking Handwraps of Mighty Blows.

1d6 base + 3d6 from magic = 4d6 + Str + 6 from Greater Weapon Specialization (Master) per hit. 3 actions means a potential of 12d6+18 +3x Str mod, but also the potential or more misses or criticals.

A One-Inch Punch adds 6 extra weapon damage dice at 18th level so +6d6, or 10d6+6+Str mod damage.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

wdarkk posted:

I'm playing in Mummy's Mask with some friends, this will be my first time playing Pathfinder 2E (or either edition really).

Is there anything I need to know about the Sorcerer class or the adventure path that isn't obvious? Like "actually the draconic bloodline is really bad" or "there's a boss that's really hard and immune to fire"?

Three things. Traps. Undead. Constructs. Don't focus on mind-affecting spells, in other words.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

GeauxSteve posted:

I'm going to be doing a 1E Demon Hunting centered one shot this weekend where we get to build level 10 characters. Anyone have a cool class recommendation I should check out? I've played a witch (loved it) and a fire kineticist (was fun in combat). I was thinking maybe a paladin or a wizard of some sort.

Our prompt: "URGENT! Adventures, Investigators and Pathfinders required for of a string of murders. Must have knowledge of handling and quelling demons. Meet at the card table of the Grog Pit tavern in the Docks District of Absalom." signed Osprey

Demon hunting? Yeah, Paladin. Smite the crap outta stuff. The Demonologist and Demon Hunter feats are fun for builds like that.

Edit: Also the Scholar of the Great Beyond trait to pick up Knowledge (planes) as a class skill for a Paladin.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 7, 2021

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I'm a little disappointed in the Sprite and Strix. I know, I know, flying PCs break so many things from a game balance view, but you don't get flight at will until 13th level? Totally ruins any idea of a naturally flying species.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

They shipped 3 volumes of the Adventure Path all at once because volume 1 of the 3-volume AP got delayed by like 6 weeks, so I got all 3 volumes of the AP and a module and the Mwangi Expanse book all in one box. I hadn't gotten anything from my Paizo subs for two months before that.

Also they just delayed the release of the "10th Anniversary" 2e update of Kingmaker to April 2022, so at this point I think it's more like a 12th anniversary edition.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

berenzen posted:

I've been invited to play this game with some friends, and I've never touched the system before. Is there any sort of hexblade/swordmage build or support that exists? It's one of my favourite archetypes to play.

1e or 2e? If it's 1e, then the Magus class is exactly what you want. The Magus isn't out for 2e for another month or so yet. Secrets of Magic will release at GenCon, and the PDF comes out August 25th.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

There are literally rules in the starfinder corebook to convert Pathfinder (1e) content, so presumably it’s intended and has been done. Also, there are elves in starfinder, just, straight up.

Because elves are literally aliens from another planet in Pathfinder, not native to Golarion. Gnomes are also invaders from the planes, though much more whimsical and in a "oh, what's over here?" sense.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Golux posted:

Magus would make sense. The reason is that in-universe the Magaambya is pretty much a school for wizards and a few druids, but I would imagine that Magi and (arcane or primal) Witches would probably be easy enough to work in.

I would figure by that token you might be able to get arcane or primal bloodline sorcerers in there too. They'd be essentially the art department or the theater department compared to the rest of the university.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I didn't like much of what I saw of 2e during the play tests, or the core book. I was holding off on making my decision until after the APG. Well,, I still don't care for it. Magic just feels too weak compared to my idea of what I want out of my fantasy games. I freely admit it's a lot more balanced than 1e, but for me that was a feature, not a flaw.

Although I will admit I like the idea of playing a Goblin Inventor in a 2e game at some point in time.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TaurusTorus posted:

I'm surprised to see Kineticist so early in PF2.0, I never saw it as a major class, I thought we'd be seeing Inquisitor before it.

You're not the only one. Inquisitors were one of those unique Pathfinder things that no edition of D&D ever did, a way to set the games apart, and yet... Nothing.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arivia posted:

What does an inquisitor do for you that a paladin or martial-oriented cleric doesn't do? Honest question, it's a class that I've never found really has a unique spot.

They're a divine skill monkey that feels like it can't really be approximated by a Ranger/Cleric.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

sugar free jazz posted:

who wants Shifter that class was dogshit

The idea is decent, but the execution? Yeah, it took the Legendary version to make Shifter even worth considering.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Because Rasputin is supposedly Baba Yaga's son and Anastasia is his daughter, and the queens of Irrisen have all been daughters of Baba Yaga, but now she's going with a granddaughter. The queens reign for a century before Baba Yaga comes and drains their life force to fuel her magic, and then she installs a new daughter as queen. One of them betrayed her and tried to imprison her to fuel the daughter's own magic instead, leading to this entire AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ryuujin posted:

With the release of the Shifter DLC for the Wrath of the Righteous CRPG I am once again tempted to homebrew Shifter again. Taking some ideas from stuff people mentioned back in the day, and also some of the changes Owlcat made, and some of my own ideas. Making Aspects at will but since it isn't a CRPG I kind of want to give some movement options to Aspects but I am having trouble thinking what kind of ranges I should put. Since Horse improves land speed by 5, 10 or 15 ft I am wondering if I should even give a Swim or Fly speed greater than 45 ft. Could possibly do something like 30, 45, 60 or 30, 60, 90 but if I did that I feel like Horse should be improved beyond the +5/10/15.

I just use the Legendary Games' version, the, uh, Legendary Shifter. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/232988