Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaini Industries
Jul 3, 2007
I'm currently in the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) industry. I worked for all four years in my undergrad in the university library system (mainly the map library), and I find myself missing that environment all the time. I've seriously considered going back to school to get my MLIS, but I get pretty disheartened when I hear about people going so long without finding a job.

The thing is, although I would LOVE to work in an academic library (it was always so much fun talking with people about their research and pulling out all of this data and info that they could use), I like working with data and information in general (hence my work in GIS). With my GIS and library experience, I already have acquisition, cataloging, Python, Oracle, SQL, and Excel experience.

So I'm wondering if I have better chances by focusing on the technology/IT/database/etc aspect? Is there a growing need for that in the academic library field? Maybe I could combine that with extra IT courses? And like I said before, working in an actual academic library setting is lDEAL, but I really wouldn't mind working for a government or private agency for a while either, or even something else in the academic world. There is only one college in my area (Minneapolis-St Paul) with an accredited program, but I've heard really mixed things about it, so if I did decide to do this I would probably move to Milwuakee to get my degree. I also figure if I do take the leap and get my MLIS and I can't find something right away, I always have GIS to fall back on (which I'm sure my MLIS work would add more skills in that area for me)

Kaini Industries fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaini Industries
Jul 3, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Any e who wants to do something with library or information Science that is beyond what most people think of as a school/public/generic academic librarian should definitely be encouraged to ask more questions in here and elsewhere.

Thatkind of sounds like how I feel. Yeah it would be great to be a librarian, but I also wouldn't mind working more in the general fields of database and information management. For a while I was planning on finding a low end library job and then going from there to get my MLIS, but I found most of the jobs required knowledge of things like specific schemas, etc. (I've been told this was why I didn't get a library job in the past). I enjoy working with data and information (both digital and paper) with my clients at work, similar to when I got to work with students and professors while working at the library in college.

So now I'm considering taking some ancillary classes on more of the tech side (more database architecture, developing, etc) paired with an MLIS. If anything I think it could help me with what I'm doing now (I work in information services with a GIS focus)

Kaini Industries fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 5, 2015

• Locked thread