Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Anybody in the academic library field know why it takes so long to hire librarians/associates? From my experience, public libraries are pretty fast, at least in hiring their support staff, but I've had interviews for academic jobs several months after I've applied.

Academic libraries have to deal with the university's HR department every step of the way whenever they hire someone, and sometimes it can turn into a terrible bureaucratic mess. Once I applied for a different job at an academic library and the HR department decided after the interviews that they were going to drop the position to a lower pay band. The top candidates for the job all dropped out as a result, and they had to redo the entire interview process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

innocent_deadly posted:

Thought I'd share my good news. I just got a new librarian job in Maryland. It's superior in almost every way to my current job but I haven't met most of the people yet. So hopefully they're agreeable.

It's at a public library which is absolutely where I want to be. I honestly don't mind the weird or the creepy most of the time. And with this job I'll have more time off the desk so that I can cope when the people get to be too much.

My current job had me on the reference desk from 35 to 40 hours every week. And my supervisor won't listen to me when I say that that's torture most weeks. She thinks that as long as you have enough time to finish all of your projects while working the desk, then there is no reason for off desk time.

Does anyone else think this is a little crazy? I know clerks spend most of their time on a public desk, but it's much easier for them to deflect angry or strange patrons to the librarian thus lessening, albeit probably a small amount, the stress that oftentimes accompanies working with the public.

Congrats on the new job! Considering the crap you had to put up with in your current job, this'll probably be easier on your mental health. 35-40 hours per week at a service desk is just ridiculous.

I had two managers during my time in a circulation department. The first one had all the staff scheduled to work 3 hours of desk time a day, divided up into 1 hour or 1.5 hour chunks. The next person to work the desk would show up a half hour early so the desk would have continuous coverage. It worked out pretty well. Then the new manager came in and rewrote some staff members' job descriptions so he could stick them out at the desk 6+ hours per day. I'm glad I transitioned to resource sharing when I did because circ morale is now completely nonexistent.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

klockwerk posted:

So a librarian is being sued for libel by Edwin Mellon Press over a blog post.

Some details here with links to other sources. Definitely something to keep eyes on.

Some other thoughts from a (former) law librarian and educator at UWO.

As McMaster is the next town over from here, there's a lot of talk going on about this from faculty and students. Things are starting to resonate internationally.

A librarian makes a blog post summarizing why he dislikes a publisher, based on his vast experience with the works produced by said publisher. So they sue him for $3 million. What the gently caress.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mediadave posted:

I guess an academic legal library would be the best fit, but from what I've heard (and this certainly could just be sour grapes, not least from me) at the moment it's very hard to get a good job at a university/college if you don't already work there, and certainly if you don't have current experience of working in another academic library.

This is true. I've been on a few selection committees and I can tell you that for higher level positions, we don't even consider the people who've never worked in an academic library unless their qualifications are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GreenCard78 posted:

Is it common for librarians at universities to hold assistant professor titles?

Yeah, pretty much. Academic librarians work with professors to determine what resources are needed for their subject. Those professors will also bring their students to the library so you can teach them about library resources. You're also going to be working directly with students in one-on-one meetings to narrow the range of their research, as well as finding appropriate sources for their papers and projects (this applies more to graduate and doctoral students). Since you're expected to know a thing or two about the subject you're a liaison librarian for, and you need to share this knowledge with the students, 'assistant professor' sounds about right.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is it kosher to post reference questions to this thread? (As in, a student has asked me for info and I can't figure out where to look for the answer.)

Why not? A little trivia never hurt anyone.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:siren: Career opportunity! :siren:

We've got a librarian position opening mid-August, and our library just started receiving applications. This is a faculty-level position. C'mon let's get more goons in this place.

http://www.seattleu.edu/library/about/employment/

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Can you comment on the quality of the work environment, the organization, or the particular job? What do you do around there?

A job in Seattle is something that could coax me back to the US.

Upper management here is pretty big on innovation and keeping our services modern and relevant. Our library underwent some major renovation and construction a couple years back, and the results are drat pretty. The construction added a cafeteria near where the research librarians are, added a math lab and writing center, some 24/7 study rooms, a media production lab, and all sorts of nice stuff. It’s really turned the library into THE place to go on campus to study or do group projects.

Seattle University is expanding its online courses, and a large part of this position will be planning and coordinating our efforts to get library services to those off-campus students. You'd also be a research librarian and liaison for the College of Nursing, so you’d be doing a lot research consultations with Nursing graduate students. Y’know, helping them narrow their topic of research and figuring out what books, articles, or whatever else would work well for that topic. You’d also be teaching all the Nursing students in classes on how to use library resources.

As for me, I work in interlibrary loan and Summit (our local reciprocal borrowing consortium). I’m not on the search committee or anything, so feel free to ask me whatever if you want to know more.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Okay that is the coolest group interview ever.

If people took notice of the way you matched your nails with your shirt, then they're paying attention to what you're wearing. I think wearing a different outfit would certainly help, but wearing the same thing wouldn't hurt you, I think. Keep in mind I'm a guy who knows jack poo poo about fashion, so take that with a grain of salt. The phrase "practical session" makes me think the second interview will be more about problem solving than the typical question/answer format. You might be tested on your computer proficiency, or be asked how you would approach everyday library problems (handling irate patrons, stacks need shifting, finding resources for narrow topics, how you bring systematic problems to the attention of upper management, etc.).

Honestly though, as long as you're enthusiastic, make eye contact, and actually know a thing or two about library trends, you should do fine. Good luck!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

I'm finishing up my application. I've been a bit busy lately, and I'm putting more effort into this application than most, partly due to asking for a "comprehensive CV," I thought it a good opportunity to create such a document.

Do you know to whom a cover letter should be addressed for this position?

Sent you details via PMs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mediadave posted:

Has anyone worked an evening or weekend job at a university?

How would you answer a question in an interview about, say working an evening or weekend, having no supervisor immediately available and being asked difficult questions, or being asked to do stuff you're not quite sure if you should be doing for users?

For difficult questions, I ask for the details first to give me time to think. Then if it's something that I know I can't answer, I refer the patron to someone who should be able to answer it. Hopefully you're not working solo, so you can ask your co-workers for help until you get more accustomed to the job. Some academic libraries have online librarians available 24/7. Ask them if they have this, because it's something you should refer people to if you can't answer reference questions.

Know how to find your library's policies/guidelines so you have something to refer to when asked to do something you're not sure about. If you think this problem should go to your supervisor, give them his/her contact info, and ALSO tell your supervisor yourself. If it's something that really isn't mentioned anywhere in policies, consider whether or not doing X is in line with the library's mission, and act accordingly. Write down all the details so you can ask your supervisor about it afterwards.

Something important to figure out ASAP is what actions in the ILS are permanent and what ones aren't. Altering stuff to satisfy the patron can really gently caress things up if you're not careful.

Ask the interviewer if the library uses Gimlet. It's a really useful tool to consult in exactly these situations, and it helps to break the divide that usually exists between the morning crew and evening crew.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mediadave posted:

Thanks for the advice! I got the position - a weekend 'reading room invigilator ' position at a prestigious university library. Very happy, for the first time in a few years my career seems to be progressing.

Sweet, congrats!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mediadave posted:

Lots of debate in the UK library twitter community about the rebranding of the UK professional body - currently CILIP (the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals).

http://www.cilip.org.uk/about-us/brand/pages/rebranding-cilip.aspx

They've sent out a survey about the rebranding, with suggested names such as 'The Knowledge People' and 'Inf Pro UK'. Presumably they were there to make the only sensible option 'The Information Association', look great by default. Notably none of the suggested names has 'Library' or 'Librarian' in them...

I can understand wanting to get away from the 'library' term. It's a pretty loaded word. Thanks to TV and movies, for the general public the word 'library' conjures up images of musty old tomes where you read about history or genealogy, rather than of a place you go to access information. I can't tell you how many people were surprised at how many basic services we offer at our library, as though we were some other building entirely.

I dunno, I've been getting the feeling lately that in order to stay relevant and well-funded, libraries have to become Google-with-human-interaction, and that's a huge shift from how the public views libraries.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

When's a good time to start looking for another job after your first full-time job? I started about a year ago, and I'm thinking it wouldn't look too bad to start looking in 2014 so that I'll have about two years of experience combined with the one year of part time experience at my first job. For those who have hired library staff, would I look flakey applying to a new job so soon?

I only think it'd look odd if you were applying to a similar position at the same pay range. Unlike a business, a library isn't going to generate tons of revenue and get a bunch of new upper-level positions and promote people. Good positions in libraries don't usually open up until someone switches positions or retires/dies, so there's really nothing odd about leaving after a couple years to pursue a better position elsewhere.

I do think that having only two years of library experience could hurt your chances, but don't let that keep you from applying. Really, the worst that can happen is that you don't get the job, so there's no need to hold back for fear of appearing flakey or inexperienced.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Including as a reference in one's application a person who is on the selection committee: good idea or stupid idea?

I mean on the one hand it's a reminder to the people who DON'T know me that hey, this person does. On the other; it might seem a little redundant.

FWIW, I've done it before, and ended up getting the job.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

You might want to check out the student loan debt thread for info there, and I don't know how old you are but if you are over 25, at least based on my experience, have an easier time getting the max amount for federal loans. I don't think any degree is worth taking private loans for unless its just a very small amount to fill a gap. With the federal loans and if you do get a post in an academic or other non-profit or education type situation you can apply for an IRB and pay based off of your income and after 120 payments (10 years) anything left is forgiven. There are a lot of unknowns here both for the student and the program but the point is there is more to the decision than X debt.

I just want to emphasize this here. If you're positive that you want to stay in non-profit work (and assuming you're in the US), try to only get federal loans so you can take advantage of Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

apdear posted:

maybe random question....i'm going to buy a new laptop soon. At work (in most library settings), do you all use PCs? And in library school, did most people use PCs?

Never been to library school, but the vast majority of computers at our library use Windows (that's what you're asking, right? Mac v. Windows?). A few staff members use Macs, but emulate Windows to run certain programs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

To clarify on #4 I mean that grads are taught that they're special because they have an MLS, which is horse poo poo. "You're now a guardian of knowledge and a guarantor of democracy" etc etc

I've gotten that spiel from a lot of my co-workers who have an MLS. It's pretty irritating because they're also the ones who are the least customer-oriented and also the most resistant to changing the way we do things ("Who cares if only 8% of our stacks get used? Putting old books into storage to free up more study space is sacrilege!" :byodood:). This is why I'm getting an MPA instead.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:siren: Job opening in Seattle! :siren:

Our director of public services is stepping down this fall, so the search for her replacement has just begun. This is a non-tenure track faculty position. An ad for the position was posted in the Chronicle of Higher Education, so you can see more details there: https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000827142-01

Initial review of applicants is set for early May, so if you're interested you should get your application in by then.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Am I alone in thinking that the ALA is a goddamned mess? That their website and online community is so fractured and disorganized as to overall be counterproductive? I mean there are bright spots here and there, but when I bothered trying to get involved, it was like a maze of dead forums with every path ending in a brick wall of apathy; it was really discouraging.

Is there any forum for librarians that isn't like this though?

Seriously, if you know of a forum for librarians that is full of active members who discuss things beyond newspaper comics and cats, please let me know.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Let me know if you find a library that doesn't fit this description. The university library I work at has unofficial break times for everyone to share coffee and cat pictures.

Our library has a Christmas party every year, with a bunch of wrapped gifts to be raffled off. When I say 'gifts', I actually mean "crap that the higher-ups got at various conferences and couldn't give away if they tried." My prize for last year was this gem. I unwrapped it, and about half the staff perked up and told me how lucky I was and that the comic was just soooo hilarious. :smith:

VideoTapir posted:

The Association of Librarians Who Say Motherfucker, last I checked.

I'll check this out, thanks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You are not moving too quickly. Jump at every opportunity for advancement that you can, because they don't come up often, and competition is fierce.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

apdear posted:

Thanks for your feedback. Kusaru also suggested ILL. Textbooks are very expensive! It's worthwhile to think of other options.

Many academic libraries won't borrow textbooks through ILL, so you should probably check your library's ILL policies.

mediadave posted:

Well, I ended up taking the temporary job anyway and in hindsight I don't know why I was feeling so sick with stress about it, so I guess I'll be working at the Bodleian library! Woo! Admittedly in five months time I'll be frantically looking for another job, but at least then I'll be doing so from a different position.

Tell everyone at the Bodleian library that their policies on thesis purchasing sucks. I've been trying to buy a copy of a 2005 thesis in the Bodleian stacks for one of our faculty, who needs it for a book he's writing. It's completely stalled because they require permission from the author, and he's not responding to anyone's attempts to contact him. It's been eight goddamn years dude, just let ProQuest sell your thesis already.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

I was at an outreach conference this week and one attendee called Library Administration "where good ideas go to die."

Besides being told "no" outright, the other admin response I hate is "we tried that x years ago, and it didn't work then, so...no." And almost invariably, when the idea was tried years ago, it was attempted in a half-assed way by some uncreative lump of a librarian who didn't have a clue how to do it.

In my experience, if a change requires consensus from several librarians, then yeah, this is a pretty good assessment. Not because they hate ideas, but because Library Admin has limited time to meet, and optional policy changes are far, far lower on the docket than everything else related to sustaining current operations, so stuff like that just kinda sits in limbo. On the other hand, I've found that it's not that hard to get change that requires approval from just one person, so long as you present it competently, explaining what problems it fixes, why we should spend resources to fix that problem, why this solution is the best one, how long it will take to implement, etc.

Insane Totoro posted:

The corollary to this is a librarian wants to change things but expresses it to admin in a way that makes no sense to them and therefore makes no headway. Contrary to popular belief, administrators are very open to change. They love to make a splash and to talk up how much they're changing the world and making things better for the DIGITAL CENTURY, preparing ARE STUDENTS, etc. But you have to answer the following questions in your presentation...

1. Is it good marketing for the institution?
2. How does it advances relations with the patron and will it make the library look like it's advancing?
3. Does it sound good in a press release?
4. How much exactly will it cost and why do you not have exact details on that?
5. Explain how it doesn't actually step on anyone's toes OR how can you make it sound like it doesn't?

This is also true.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

I've always wondered why librarians drink so much.

*sits at reference desk for two hours, uninterrupted*
*is shocked and excited to see someone approach the desk*

"Excuse me, do you have The Great Gatsby?"
"We sure do! Which edition would you like to read? We have-"
"Nonono, I mean the blu-ray. Do you have that?"
"Uh, no we don't, I'm afraid. Our copy is checked out. Would you like to place a ho-"
"Figures. Where's the bathroom?"
"Down the hall, to your left."

*watches patron leave*
*chugs from stash of Maker's Mark*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

What about academic librarians?

*sits at reference desk for two hours, uninterrupted*
*is shocked and excited to see someone approach the desk*

"Excuse me, I need a copy of each of my textbooks."
"Sorry, we don't carry those unless your professor gives us a copy, and then checkout time is a few hours."
"That's bull. You guys are in league with the bookstore."
"No, it's just that stocking every textbook for every student would literally cost us millions of dollars annually."
"Whatever, I'm working on a paper on Aristotle, and the prof says I need sources."
"Ah, well let's schedule a research consultation with our philosophy librarian."
"I have to schedule a meeting? Never mind then, I'll just use Wikipedia."
"Now hold on, that's not a good ide-"
"Hey, where's the bathroom?"
"Down the hall, to your left."

*watches patron leave*
*chugs from stash of Absinthe*

• Locked thread