Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

So I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I've been accepted to a good MSIS program for archival studies, at a university with great archives and libraries (one of which I've volunteered at in the past, when I knew I was applying), but I'm not funded yet for my first semester at least. I talked to a student who said that about half of all students in the program have either partial or full funding.

I have a master's in history and would be pursuing archival studies at a university with archives that fall right into my specialization. So I think I would be a good candidate for funding and jobs assuming I work hard and make the most of it, but I'm still pretty nervous that employment will be totally random and thus that the program is a horrible idea. Does anyone have a sense of how much the university you get your MSIS/MLS at matters for archive jobs? I only ask because the program talks about how well-regarded it is and I want to know if it would be better to just go to some tiny-rear end school.

Is it a bad idea to commit to a program like this? I'll probably have more specific questions if I see that this actually gets responded to (hopefully!), and I'll crosspost to the BFC thread. Thanks in advance for any help. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread