Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I'm one class and two incompletes shy of finishing my MLS at a well-respected, public midwestern university. I have plenty of professional experience accumulated along the way, too -- it will have taken me about six years of part-time work to get my degree, but I worked as a special collections library assistant, reference librarian, and doing cataloging throughout this entire period.

My question is about employment. I'm desperate to get out of the midwest.

Will I be best off applying to jobs from afar, in say, Boston, NYC, LA, Seattle, etc., and then go through the hiring process?

Or should I save some money and relocate to a chosen city, with the intent on working at finding a job 'locally'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Despite my neurotic posting a couple weeks back, I'm happy to report I received - and accepted - a job offer for a position squarely in my (very narrow) field. (Rare books / special collections and Eastern European studies.)

In the event anyone else is looking into RBMS librarianship, I can't stress enough the utility of a couple additional languages. Not even fluency, just a rudimentary grasp will assist you in so many ways.

I have one class left to finish my MLS and will be doing it in spring or summer 2015.

• Locked thread