Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pompoon posted:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about this thread.

Regarding languages, I've talked to a lot of the librarians I've worked with, and all of them said it was a big plus if you can read a few different languages. But maybe that's more important for academic libraries...I don't have any experience with other kinds.

Reading languages is a big deal if you are dealing with cataloging or making original metadata. I worked at the Yale archive before moving on to grad. school and the people who could do foreign language stuff always commanded a higher salary/had more responsibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I have been working in-and-around libraries for the past 5 years now, and I am finally resigning myself to getting an MLIS and making a career out of it. However, I wont be able to start school for another year and a half since I don't know where my better half is going to get a job (she is just finishing her residency and will be applying for work next year).

With that said, I figure now is as good a time as ever to go to take a few community college courses and give myself a background in IT, since knowing a bit about computers will make it (hopefully) easier to get a job in a library/transfer my newly found computers background outside of the library world and into another occupation.

So, with that said, what should I take? PHP/MySQL stuff? Web Design? I've never actually tried to broaden my horizons before, so this is all new to me.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 27, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So when you're applying to Library School does it help to have references from actual professors? I graduated from college in '05, have been working in libraries ever since, and don't really see myself applying for my MLiS until 2012 or so. In short, after being out of college for 7 years I doubt I'll have a good chance at getting a letter out of an old professor.

The University of Missouri, a program I am looking into, says that a letter writer should be able to "attest to your potential for success as a graduate student and/or success in the field of library science (e.g., former professors, instructors, individuals who work in libraries and related fields)." Would doing the latter, asking for a librarian to write me a letter, be a bad thing? I can't imagine that it is too difficult to actually get into a library program, but I'd like to put my best foot forward nevertheless

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

VideoTapir posted:

I think at some schools it helps to have a pulse. That's the impression I got at mine. But then, I had an old professor (well, I didn't take any of his classes, but I worked with him a bit) I could hit up for a letter. It probably doesn't hurt.

Does the librarian in question actually know you well? Does the librarian in question know about your academic background or your skills? I'm pretty sure that's more important than the letter writer working in libraries.

Yeah, she most certainly does. I work for one of those vendors that get contracted to do cataloging in MARC for universities/institutions that don't want to bother making fulltime positions. I've been there for about two years and by the time I get out it will be four, so they certainly can attest to my skills and background.

Speaking of which, we're hiring for part time and full time positions right now! We're located in the great state of Connecticut, the job is happening in New Haven. My company is the "Donohue Group" and you can find our hiring notice here: http://www.ctlibrarians.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=23.

It is a temp. position until 2012 with benefits and low pay (12-15 dollars depending on experience). They are looking at resumes as we speak, so if you are a CT library goon now is the time to apply!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Sure! josephlordan at gmail! I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have, but bear in mind that I'm just a lowly temp. myself (albeit one who has been with the company for a while) so I don't have much sway in the hiring process itself :/

You should totally apply, though, regardless of if you email me or not. The work is beginner-to-intermediate cataloging using MARC and OCLC

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 12, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hey guys! Does anyone here have any experience being a technical services librarian? I recently moved to Kansas and there is an opening for a "technical services assistant" for the KC library system. The job posting makes it sound like you do a lot of data entry and lifting heavy boxes (as well as doing ordering for the city library system). Do jobs like this basically turn you into a glorified warehouse worker? I've been employed by university libraries for the past 7 years or so and I've only now decided that I want to bite the bullet and become a librarian, so I'd like to take a job that is within the field before I start on the MLS.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I took some time off from my library career to be a stay at home dad, but my kids are now old enough that I can cart them off to daycare a few days out of the week. The other night I was looking at part time library jobs (I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get my MLS) when my wife looks over my shoulder and says "12 dollars an hour? Teenage babysitters get paid more than that."

:(

• Locked thread