Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
No jobs, batshit insane professors, idiotic classmates, you will die alone and penniless.

Just kidding. Kind of.

I am currently enrolled in a "prestigious" ALA-accredited (as much as a library program can be famous) MLIS program on the east coast. I went the online route since I am already employed in a library (lower end of full time pay scale). I also started out in the grunt work in an academic library setting, so I kind of have the same background. On the other hand, I came out of a MA program in History and didn't try for the MLS straight out of undergrad.

It's good that you have experience with the grunt work. From what I can tell, any library job will expect you to have experience. So try to get that clerical position in the library. It will look good on the resume. I have been consistently told that three to five years of practical library experience will put you ahead of all the graduates straight out of library school.

There are all kinds of jobs that need librarians. Public schools, public libraries, government institutions (even the US military), archives, museums, private institutions, universities, and even corporate entities. Not all of it is rigorous reference work. Some people went to library school and they check out books all day without one consideration for someone's information needs.

I've also been told by my advisors to get the master's degree in your other field of study ASAP. Every young white female that couldn't get a job with their education or English degree is now going to library school. I have seen this with my own eyes. If you can get your master's in English (or something else), get it now. A lot of library jobs, especially those with specific specializations, are requiring a double masters degree.

Furthermore, the entire library science program is a crock of poo poo. There is almost nothing in the curriculum that you can't learn from six months on the job. A keen mind for research and accessing information will get you farther. The program I am in is ridiculously easy. Don't worry, you will learn things about cataloging, archives, and other things. Focus on those. Smile and just bear the rest. I have no idea why this isn't some sort of certification. It's a one year program masked as a full graduate degree.

And yes, I know some people are in love with the whole magical time you spent in library school and the awesome credentials you now have. However, I am entitled to my opinion.

In short, do the online program (keeps you from strangling your classmates), keep your intelligence and common sense in check and pass the courses, and get as many credentials and skills in other fields first to supplement the MLS.

Edit: You had better also really, really, really like libraries. Your professors will lie to you and say that there are lots of jobs out there. There aren't. Many librarians are retiring and many of them are not being replaced. Also, many librarians are reaching retirement age and NOT retiring. Many libraries are also replacing full time staff with part time staff due to budget crunches. You may be in grunt work for years to come.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

a handful of dust posted:

The field is full of 90 year old cat ladies who refuse to retire, every city/govt./institution in my area has frozen budgets, laid people off, etc. etc.

Oh god this is so true. What is it with the cat ladies? Even the researchers in the field are crazy cat ladies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Dervin
http://web3.unt.edu/news/image.cfm?image=403

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Dear OP,

If you are that into libraries and have the passion, go for it. I would be proud to have you as a classmate.

My advice: get a masters degree in another field first. If you can get a clerical job in the library at the same time, that is a very, very good thing. You will find out if your passion lasts through the grunt work. And you'll have a real degree to fall back on. And work experience for the resume. Talk to the librarians you know. Pick their brains and learn some stuff on the job. Like SIRSI or something else.

You may want to get a certification in an IT-related field if you can. Don't listen to people who pretend Twitter is the next best thing. Master web design or cataloging or databases or something. Foreign languages help a lot. Maybe not French but maybe Arabic or Chinese.

I'm going the digital libraries route and we have to do just about everything IT-related to a reasonable point and beyond. Learning a computer language is a plus. Develop skills other than "libraries," overall.... thus another masters degree and other certifications. I am trying to collabortae with a statistician on a database project and modeling stuff.

Be willing to move. Weird places. Like being an archivist in Alaska or something.

Also, library school can be very very veery stupid. I am in a class of soccer moms and sorority girls who could not get into an education grad program.... and they are getting top marks. That bad. They are shooting out subpar grads and flooding the job market.

Posting from my smartphone. Apologies for grammar.

Edit: it won't be impossible to do this. Just be ready to fight the stupid...... and fight for a job. And go for an ALA accredited school. Yes the ALA is stupid but the name means something on a resume

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 25, 2010

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Pompoon posted:

So you're saying it would still be a good idea to get a dual master's degree, right?

As for those tech courses, did you take those while in library school or before?

Yes, please have some kind of other skills before you enter library school. As it was said, it will make it easier to get into library school (ahead of the hordes of soccer moms). Also it will show that you are competent at doing research yourself (how can you help others if you don't do it yourself?).

I took some tech courses before, but I plan to take more as my MLS progresses. If you have access to free/cheap workshops as a student, go for those too. Everything helps.

Edit: http://www.ala.org/ala/educationcareers/education/accreditedprograms/directory/index.cfm

A list of online-only MLS programs that have ALA accreditation. You can take classes while looking for a grunt job somewhere. In fact, a lot of the programs are designed for full time librarians who are finishing their MLS.

1. Clarion University of Pennsylvania
2. Drexel University
3. Florida State University
4. North Carolina Central University
5. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
6. San Jose State University
7. Southern Connecticut State University
8. Texas Woman's University (Conditional)
9. University at Buffalo, State Univ. of New York (Conditional)
10. University of Alabama
11. University of Puerto Rico
12. University of Southern Mississippi
13. University of Tennessee
14. University of Washington
15. University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
16. Wayne State University

Astfgl posted:

Also, I'm sitting on a reference desk as I type this. :(

Sup, night shift reference goon buddy. Are you at a university?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 25, 2010

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Pompoon posted:

Would you mind explaining what SIRSI is? I did a brief google search and just ended up a little confused.

ALA = American Library Association

SIRSI is made by this company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SirsiDynix

It is one of many different brands of library management software that lets you keep track of everything from cataloging to serials. And it is what runs underneath the OPAC (library catalog).

Wikipedia actually covers a lot of it pretty well and you can go deeper from there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPAC

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Pompoon posted:

I was a little wary of online programs, since I wasn't sure how valuable they were vs. actual classroom work. But that might make getting another degree simultaneously a lot more doable. Is your program online?

My program is 100% online. From what I can tell, nobody can tell that you took it online or on campus. If that's worrying you, I mean. I can't speak on the effectiveness of the on campus course work versus online.

I just know that the online courses keep me sane since I don't have to trek into class and see the smug soccer moms day after day.

Astfgl posted:

Yeah, or at least I was when I wrote that. The students just got back from reading week, and they are both ornery and demanding.

I wish they actually gave me... actual reference questions. "Where's the bathroom?" "Do you know a good pizza place?"

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Just a thought. Depending on whether or not you want to go into public libraries or school libraries... you may consider just volunteering on weekends for your local public library. Some people think "volunteer" means "second job" for some reason and they overlook just doing a kids' story hour once a week.

Managing thirty wailing kids as you read Dr. Seuss? WORK EXPERIENCE.

Astfgl posted:

Why aren't the printers working?
Do you guys do change?
Do you have a stapler I can use?
Is the internet down?
Can you cite this for me in APA?
What do you think my prof means here in this assignment?
Will you proofread this paper for me?

Welcome to being a grunt on the front lines, OP.

My favorite story:

"Hi, I'm in the English department and I need a copy of the Kama Sutra for my students. Please order me a copy through interlibrary loan."

TWO WEEKS LATER...

"THIS ISN'T WHAT I EXPECTED. PLEASE TAKE IT BACK. OH GOD WHY WOULD YOU ORDER THIS FOR SOMEONE?!!!"

I love our faculty members.

BTW, sometimes a university library won't close in inclement weather if the vast majority of the students aren't commuters.

:(

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 26, 2010

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I think a problem with some people is that they think of "libraries" only in the context of public, academic, and public school libraries. There are certainly more options out there. But yes, even in those cases, pickings can be slim.

And if I am being advised correctly, the more you focus on technology in your degree (and I mean, real skills, not the stuff in your required class on social networking), the most appealing you are to most institutions. What's really disheartening to me is that a lot of people who recruit students for the MLS don't mention anything about this, the fact that you may want a second masters degree, or that you and every other MLS graduate has a Humanities BA and YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

Then again, some people want a bubbly children's librarian.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
For the record, I really love cats. There should be an library science class just about cats.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

tirinal posted:

Can somebody explain to me why librarians are all convinced Second Life will forever rend the current zeitgeist and usher in a new dawn of empowered bohemian artist-activists?

Because they want to be "with it" when it comes to technology and the Internet. And since they have little to no IT skills, they improvise with pre-made technologies such as Twitter and whatnot. You know, instead of meaningful change such as updating archaic software and making catalog searches painless.

So let's create a virtual library world! And yes, they missed what Second Life is really about.

(flying penis attacks)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That always concerns me in the sense that "are new MLIS graduates not able to get jobs because they are stupid or because there really are no jobs even for your intelligent grads?"

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Confirm or deny this statement:

"All ALA-accredited schools with an online program give you the same degree even though you did online/distance ed."

So far I have found this to be true.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I would call it far from the norm. Most of the male LIS students I know are very goony.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That 85-15 ratio has never gotten me laid, let me tell you that much.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
We need a general "Goon Librarian" thread.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Is this a MLS program at Cornell or somewhere else?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
If you want to do the more in demand technology part of library work, sure, go for it. There are a lot of people who don't have a "real MLS" and work in libraries doing all the technology services and tend to not engage in reference work unless it pertains directly to something computer-related (HALP, EBSCO NO WORKY).

(Actually, you might be more likely to be hired than I would, if I'm seeing the trends correctly)

(I'm in a MLS program right now)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Be prepared to relocate, that's all I can say.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Negotiate for a higher starting salary? I would KILL (hyperbole) for that kind of position.

That being said, what's the harm of asking?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

manguero posted:

I definitely agree on the computers point. I'm not sure how a museum curator (or special collections librarian) can manage accessions without feeling comfortable with computers.

I came over to the library science side because museum studies was a dead end. Yeah.

From my experience, there are tons of elderly curators I know who are just fine with cataloging on computers.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

VideoTapir posted:

How many of those people would be able to cope if you asked them to do anything else or use any other program besides their cataloging client?

Probably pretty good. They've been there for decades and know all their poo poo pretty well.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
People actually use RDA? I was under the impression that most (academic) libraries were still using AACR2. Generally I was told that RDA was another "they come up with a set of rules that only adds minor improvements and everyone ignores it" standard.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Salt posted:

Oh, I don't know if it's all bad. Librarianship has worked out okay for me. I've been a reference librarian for about 28 years, make around 90k and get 4-6 weeks off a year. Very few of the librarians I work with or have worked with are either crazy or own cats. Most of my colleages are pretty good with machines having worked with computers for the past 30 years or so.

Almost all of the library school students or grads I've worked with through the years have gotten professional jobs they're happy with. Teaching and administrative specialties seem to have served them well.

I don't know about the market lately, though. As for the future, who knows?

Obvious troll spotted.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
My workplace in eastern PA is now hiring. PM me if you are interested. Very entry-level, though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I bought a tote bag so I wouldn't be left out.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Why do librarians love Delicious.com?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
The number I keep hearing quoted is $35.00 per monograph, even assuming a reciprocal agreement, including staff costs.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Sorry, that was for the costs on both the borrower and lending side.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Hell if I know. It was brought up at the last regional consortium meeting.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
From what I can tell it's still a drop in the bucket compared to the normal acquisition process and those costs. Especially for large academic libraries, who may see it as "targeted acquisition" and is preferable to buying books that nobody ever checks out.

In fact we are implementing right now a system where we buy from our distributor AND borrow monographs through ILL simultaneously.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
As in all requests for monographs published after a certain cutoff date (in order to target recently popular and useful books) are forwarded to Acquisitions. We do the ILL request as normal. If the book is appropriate for our collection (generally it is) then we purchase said book. From their POV, paying $15 on top of the usual egregious price for a science monograph is chump change I guess, especially if there is a high volume of ILL requests for that book.

Most libraries have reciprocal "freebie" agreements for articles and books with other libraries anyway, though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I've thought of leaning towards academic libraries, but I don't want to have to deal with the political bullshit of being designated faculty or staff, and I don't want to get a second masters degree. Do community college libraries have the same issues as universities?

In my experience, if you don't get the political bullshit, there will be other kinds of pettiness. Even in public library settings.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What was your first master's degree?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That's the word I was looking for. "Passive-aggressive."

Something about the profession attracts the weirdos. Including myself.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Networking. There's also a fair amount of what is basically cronyism in libraries.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Change happens slowly in libraries. Cue stereotype of librarians never dying.

Or change happens retardedly fast like librarians all gushing about social media and jamming a dozen different WEB TWO POINT OH services onto their crappy website.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
If a library wanted to lock their public site printer paper trays, what's a good way to do so? We're having a lot of people stealing the printer paper...

I've seen these before:
http://www.locdown.com/paper-tray-lock.htm

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
http://www.versalock.com/papertraysecurity.php

I also saw this product. It looks less mechanically complicated and thus less prone to failure.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What if you like cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

My fiance just started at Drexel for mlis this week, the research we did showed it to be a pretty good program, I can give you more updates as time goes by.

Drexel was my 2nd choice. :)

• Locked thread