Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dub Mapocho
May 17, 2010

by angerbotSD

post-feminist rimjob posted:

parsimonious, obstinate, hoarding, and perfectionistic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

Dub Mapocho posted:

A wandering Jew for the digital age -- a neutered dog instinctively protecting its empty sack of testicular flesh -- Dub Mapocho's communal guilt for the death of his messiah and savior at the hands of his forebearers occasionally manifests itself in the form of Book Barn trolls or rooftop violin solos. I'm sorry guys. I'm sorry.

Gene Rod N Berries
Feb 24, 2006

welcum 2 mah realm

LooseChanj posted:

I think it only appears that way. What people are going to discuss on an internet forum they use for recreation is going to give a skewed impression, because who the hell wants to talk about the poo poo they read in lit class when they get home?

Agreed, you can only discuss R.L. Stein so much.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Weed Coach posted:

Agreed, you can only discuss R.L. Stein so much.

I disagree. The literature of R.L. Stein can never be discussed too much.

R.L. Stein's prose > Vonnegut's prose

Debate.

Uncle_Jemima
Dec 1, 2004
I've requested probations time and time again but it just can't seem to stem the spoiling tide. If only we had two Fear Street megathreads.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

jmaze posted:

I disagree. The literature of R.L. Stein can never be discussed too much.

R.L. Stein's prose > Vonnegut's prose

Debate.

One site particularly useful as a critical resource for "R.L. Stein" (sic) can be found here.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

oops. It's R.L. Stine. You shouldn't judge this man's work based upon my own inability. Here's the real source for all things great in literature:

https://www.rlstine.com

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Um, it's nice to see real lit getting a mention here but this is just turning into a classic R.L. Stine circle-jerk. Even within the gothic-nostalgic YA genre, Bunnicula is clearly a novel superior to anything within the Stine oeuvre. Ever heard of Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher? Pretty sure the plot about keeping that dragon hidden is a commentary on adolescent boner-shame. Didn't see your precious R.L. Stine dealing with that sort of gritty, real world issue.

This Stine bullshit is just the Philip Roth/Norman Mailer phenomenon all over again: North American subservience to a liberal-Judaic cultural agenda. Read some Howe or Coville, you sheep.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

BABY FlNLAND posted:

One site particularly useful as a critical resource for "R.L. Stein" (sic) can be found here.

Uh, wow. Interesting... thanks.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

R. L. Stine's "A Shocker on Shock Street" was a much better metaphor for modernity than loving "boner-shame". The commentary on how we're all just cogs in the machine shown through the reveal of the two main characters as robotic automatons is one of the most insightful, moving messages in all of modern fiction.

McCaine
Feb 20, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT MAKING A SICK BURN ON MY
TWITTER ABOUT VILE RATS DEATH FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED THREE YEARS AGO, PS CHECK MY RAP SHEET BECAUSE I AM MOST LIKELY STILL BUTT HURT THAT HE BANNED ME BECAUSE I POSTED PEDO ANIME BOYS

LooseChanj posted:

I think it only appears that way. What people are going to discuss on an internet forum they use for recreation is going to give a skewed impression, because who the hell wants to talk about the poo poo they read in lit class when they get home?
Are you nuts? If everything weren't swamped with 50 page bullshit about bad fantasy novels people could perhaps discuss something actually worthwhile? Why do you think people attend "lit class" if they don't want to talk about it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

McMurphy posted:

Its loving retarded to have two threads for the same series, both of which have multiple pages. This isn't games or something, christery.

Space on the internet is very limited dontchaknow!

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn

LooseChanj posted:

Wait, why are you mod of the forum for talking about books then?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

McCaine posted:

Are you nuts? If everything weren't swamped with 50 page bullshit about bad fantasy novels people could perhaps discuss something actually worthwhile?

Well why are we swamped with such things? I imagine it's mighty discouraging when you're looking to discuss War & Peace and only get a couple replies while the grrm thread is clocking a couple hundred a day. Especially when those replies are poo poo posting trolls. People have different tastes, and it's not surprising that there are popular convergence points like grrm.

Swimp
Mar 27, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Well why are we swamped with such things? I imagine it's mighty discouraging when you're looking to discuss War & Peace and only get a couple replies while the grrm thread is clocking a couple hundred a day. Especially when those replies are poo poo posting trolls. People have different tastes, and it's not surprising that there are popular convergence points like grrm.

do you ever wish you could sleep in space?

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

LooseChanj posted:

Ironically, one of the "poo poo posting trolls" you probated on this page is in fact an English PhD. In addition, one might also describe a sewage treatment plant as a popular convergence point.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

LooseChanj posted:

What is this supposed to mean?

Grum
May 7, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I took a break from reading ASOIAF the other week to read what one might consider "real books" and I gotta tell you LooseChanj after trying to go back to ASOIAF there's no real way to explain TBB's popular topics without acknowledging that SA is primarily a forum full of nerds with terrible taste.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mr. Fun posted:

What is this supposed to mean?

Pretty much this:

Grum posted:

there's no real way to explain TBB's popular topics without acknowledging that SA is primarily a forum full of nerds

And nerds like stuff like grrm.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl
has the argument in favour of GRRM (George R.(Raymond) R.(Richard) Martin) degenerated into "the many GRRM threads are justified because there are many GRRM threads"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BABY FlNLAND posted:

has the argument in favour of GRRM (George R.(Raymond) R.(Richard) Martin) degenerated into "the many GRRM threads are justified because there are many GRRM threads"

I think he's saying just that SA is inhabited by a particularly nerdy group of people in general which is why GRRM is one of the most popular authors.

While I'm not a fan personally and think having more than one GRRM thread is stupid, there are plenty of other online book discussion communities inhabited by very different kinds of people that talk about very different kind of books, so if this place really rubs you the wrong way it's really not that hard to find another place more suited to your tastes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Pretty much this:

And nerds like stuff like grrm.

You selectively cut the most important part of Grum's post

Grum posted:

with terrible taste

I like talking about nerd books but even there tbb falls short, threads that aren't about grrm or a couple other hugely-popular series die quickly.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There's a longstanding thread on Russian literature, a good thread on DFW, we've had some decent discussions of Joyce, Shakespeare, Pynchon, and others.

Yeah, SF and fantasy is the majority and the fact that there are long threads about Warhammer and Star Wars books is not a good sign, but still, it's easier to complain and talk down about others than it is to contribute positively.

If everyone who complained about how TBB is too nerdy would instead focus on posting about books they do like and consider worthwhile, and supporting threads that aren't about nerdy poo poo, it wouldn't even be an issue.

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Here is a question I've been asking myself.. How can I read more? Back when I didn't have internet access, or cable TV, or video games I could get through huge books in no time flat. In fact I think I read every Hitchhiker's Guide book in like 4 days or something.

But now it seems like I can only read when I'm either a passenger in a car or when I'm laying down to go to bed. I only get a couple chapters of whatever I'm reading a day and it's taking me like half a month to get through a single paperback.

Also while I'm asking questions, are the Dune books written by Brian Herbet any good?

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rotten Punk posted:

Here is a question I've been asking myself.. How can I read more? Back when I didn't have internet access, or cable TV, or video games I could get through huge books in no time flat. In fact I think I read every Hitchhiker's Guide book in like 4 days or something.

But now it seems like I can only read when I'm either a passenger in a car or when I'm laying down to go to bed. I only get a couple chapters of whatever I'm reading a day and it's taking me like half a month to get through a single paperback.

A fun little thing I like to do is to read while playing turn based rpg's. Setup your attacks, then read while the fight happens. I used to be able to get through 75-100 pages a day like that.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Rotten Punk posted:

Also while I'm asking questions, are the Dune books written by Brian Herbet any good?

Set up an Excel spreadsheet so you can keep track of the number of pages per day you read. Try to set a target, and use graphs and so on to reach that target. Treat it like a diet, or something.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I dunno, if you get to the point where you have to force yourself to read by setting page goals, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? I think most people read because it's relaxing and enriching, if it becomes just another treadmill to hop onto then you lose that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Rotten Punk posted:

At certain points during the day, choose to read instead of watching tv or playing a video game or posting questions about how to read. Good luck.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Countdown to trophies being implemented for the Kindle begins now.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

inktvis posted:

Countdown to trophies being implemented for the Kindle begins now.

YES. That would be awesome.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Honestly I think that'd be a really popular feature and that scares me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dub Mapocho posted:

I thought that snipe was damnably funny. And I'm Jewish. Simmer down, angry mod! They were being funny!

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Earwicker posted:

I think he's saying just that SA is inhabited by a particularly nerdy group of people in general which is why GRRM is one of the most popular authors.

While I'm not a fan personally and think having more than one GRRM thread is stupid, there are plenty of other online book discussion communities inhabited by very different kinds of people that talk about very different kind of books, so if this place really rubs you the wrong way it's really not that hard to find another place more suited to your tastes.

So, wanna hook a brother up with a few links to other book discussion sites you visit?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

That's a good question, actually. What other book discussion sites are there? I know librarything, but that's sort of a giant hodgepodge clusterfuck of everything. Are there any other book discussion forums dedicated to thoughtful, informed discussion?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Goodreads has groups, which basically means anyone can make their own forum there. Some of the groups are good, others are lame. The only problem is you have to wade past fifty zillion loving "roleplay" groups made by little kids who use them like a chatroom.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Abebooks.com has a pretty active discussion forum. I only lurk in the BookSleuth section though, so I couldn't speak to how thoughtful and informed the discussions are.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

So, wanna hook a brother up with a few links to other book discussion sites you visit?

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

In addition to those already mentioned there's We Read, Book Army, Shelfari, and Amazon has discussion forums tied to certain books and genre's, though I can't say they are all that good. There are also various genre specific discussion boards out there, and a lot of interesting discussion actually takes place on blogs rather than on forums. There are hundreds and hundreds of book related blogs of varying degrees of interest. Also there are now literary/publishing discussions on Twitter that can be pretty interesting. #litchat is one of the good weekly ones, authors and editors are often invited to participate.

deety posted:

Goodreads has groups, which basically means anyone can make their own forum there. Some of the groups are good, others are lame. The only problem is you have to wade past fifty zillion loving "roleplay" groups made by little kids who use them like a chatroom.

I've found that not really a problem at all. If you want to discuss classics of western lit for example you can pretty easily find large active discussions about it without having to deal with any of that kind of stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

I've found that not really a problem at all. If you want to discuss classics of western lit for example you can pretty easily find large active discussions about it without having to deal with any of that kind of stuff.

I dunno, whenever I went to discuss, say, The Brothers Karamazov there were always brats in there arguing about who got to play Dmitri, Ivan or Alexei. (everyone always wants to play Ivan. drat emo kids).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
World Literature Forum is one of the best, especially for European lit. They can't hold a candle to the squalid human drama of your average Book Barn thread, but the breadth of coverage is great (even 4 pages of threads on translation alone).