Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

These things exist, they're cheap, and they work. This picture was stolen from the listing of the first random one I found on Amazon. $23.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ugh don't read the Belgariad. Just don't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Eddingses were hacks. They were also child-abusers but they were also hacks. So you may as well read some garbage that wasn't written by child-abusers, instead. I picked up a random free Dragonlance paperback from a box in the vestibule of a K-market and enjoyed it despite it being poo poo.

If Don Perrin and/or Margaret Weis are monsters, I don't want to hear about it.

e: I was a fool and looked them up. Apparently (according to Wikipedia) Margaret Weis lives in a barn!

Dragonlance is bad it's way less bad than any Eddings books. The original Dragonlance trilogy is perfectly readable and fine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Ursula-K-Guin-Hainish-Stories/dp/1598535374/

I want this so bad. I promise you that's a clean Amazon link, no nonsense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Re: spoilers

When I was a lot younger and I'd be wondering how a book turned out, I'd allow myself to skip ahead and read the last page. Only the last page, never anything before. I felt that if I could infer the whole plot from that final page, then the book was obviously stupid and my disrespectful actions were okay.

Sometimes the last page was long, sometimes the last page was short.

More often than not I would find out something I didn't understand at all, without any context, and then going back to where I was currently reading was even more interesting because I then had to find out how A connected to B.

All I'm saying is that if you want to spice up your reading experience take a page from 13 year old TH's playbook and look at ONLY the last page of the book you're currently reading.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The great American novel is The Corrections, because it contains the most accurate depiction of depression in any work of literature this far. So accurate that I will never read it again because it made me feel so bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's very sweeping, actually, because I'm saying that "being depressed" is the most American mode, past or present.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Does anyone know a book about the Yugoslavian experience in WW2 that is not written by a British person, that does not have some particular stance to it??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All British history writers are bad and should be thrown in a volcano, even the "good" ones

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Which one of you recommended the novel Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I know for a fact it was someone on this message board who told me to read it. I'm 9% of the way through and this is just terrible. I paid money for this book! I mean I'm still going to read the whole thing, I just want to warn people away from it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dark Mage posted:

How bad? The premise sounds close Stephen King's The Stand.

That post was based on 9% of a very long book and let me tell you, it got a lot better. Some interesting twists and turns, some fun ideas. However, there was far too much cliche nonsense. Some of the characters were complete caricatures. I wouldn't recommend it and I rather wish I hadn't read/paid money for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dark Mage posted:

It actually got better but still ended up ducking? That's a shame. That book is a hefty time investment.

It's so nothing that it just clips by, though. Some books have high page counts but can be easily chugged. Sort of like a obscene flagon of extremely light beer.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone read the Accursed Kings series? I've just finished the first three and enjoyed them quite a lot.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Harry Turtledove has a way better and more active Twitter than you think he might

https://mobile.twitter.com/HNTurtledove

Genuinely surprised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm rereading Shattered Sword and as always it's the humor in this book I love the most:

quote:

It is necessary now to turn to an examination of Yamamoto’s operational plan as it emerged in its final form, a task for which the reader would be well advised to pour a rather tall glass of spirits beforehand.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dolly Parton and James Patterson: together at last! Sounds like a joke from a bad early 2000's Simpsons episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Currently working on my short story about Myron, a young man who is obsessed with the indie films produced by a company called B25. After a disastrous week, Myron buys some glasses from a man who runs a mysterious new shop that has seemed to appear overnight. These glasses transport Myron into the world of several of B25's prominent films. However, Myron comes to learn that the wearing of the glasses carries with it a terrible price.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's fiction, but one of the best looks at the war from the Vietnamese side is Novel Without a Name.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Another Donald Westlake recommendation that answers your question: The Ax.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The later Altered Carbon books do offer a path forward. From what I recall it is "communist revolution enforced by orbital laser"

I read all the books and have zero memory of what transpired in them and reading this post that makes me sad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

tell me about this dream frasier episode of yours...

Just a redtext somebody bought for me but I have several dream Frasier episodes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

John Bellairs books scared me greatly as a child.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is there a book of classic Aesop fables for adults? Where they don't make things too cutesy and tell you the history and other versions and stuff?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Does anyone have any advice on reading the Gene Wolfe New Sun books? I tried and failed a year and a half ago and I'm thinking of getting back on the horse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I hate mysteries and going with the flow, perhaps it's not the series for me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'll go back to reading Hammer's Slammers by David Drake

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm so sick of zombies in everything but holy poo poo Zone One has reinvigorated the love I have for the genre. It's brought me back to where I was in the mid-late 2000's where I loved the classic Romero movies, the early 90's Night, and the Day of the Dead remake. Where I was when I started watching the first season of Walking Dead. The book has heart and soul and action and honest truth. It's amazing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Amazon should have a dedicated button that sends the Culture series to everyone in your contacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just listened to this lecture by Barbara Kingsolver from last October.

https://lectures.org/podcast/barbara-kingsolver-2/

Holy poo poo, I've been on literal inverted roller coasters that had fewer twists and turns and ups and downs than that lecture.

Barbara Kingsolver is an incredibly wise woman and also she is a complete lunatic.

I've never read any of her books, I've never had even the slightest desire to, but after listening to that lecture I found myself ordering Demon Copperhead off Amazon. I think I was in some sort of fugue state.