Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The worst is when the book you have to buy is written by your own professor.

Then when they leave for a new job, the book has no resale value because they're the only people who set that book :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It also depends on how widely distributed the book is. Like my college professor that set his own book, was only used on that one course he taught ever. Niche subjects are going to have high costs just from supply and demand.

Whereas my friend whose dad was a high school teacher and ended up writing a high school textbook that was extensively used throughout Europe made quite a bit of money. Not Dan Brown money, but enough for a nice Volvo.

Really nice textbooks though can really be worth the money. The ones with illustrations and diagrams etc. I think people mostly resent the ones that just seem to be copied across from a word document.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

criptozoid posted:

I have arrived at a conservative estimate of the number of books I may realistically expect to read between now and the time when I finally kick the bucket, and it hovers slightly around 1000. Life seems short when measured in unread books.

(This is not viral marketing for those awful "1000 ... you need to ... before you die" volumes.)

If you get hit by a bus next week it may only be one more book!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Searched all 5 pages, and I don't see any posts about the Sword of Truth series.

I've seen a few people refer disparagingly to it, but that's it. Is it just completely hated (and so not talked about) by the Goon intelligentsia?

There's a very large thread here about it, and there was one in the TV IV.

The one here got pretty hilarious.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

mcustic posted:

Over my dead body! But seriously, my hatred for Franzen aside, I think that we can't even try to guess what will be considered a classic from our time. Probably something that has had commercial success but little critical acclaim. Think shopaholic and that kind of crap. It usually happens like that - most of the 19th century classics were their equivalent of soap operas at the time they were published.

It's actually quite interesting. Wasn't Dickens or something the Tom Clancy of Victorian times? Broad populist literature? Same with Shakespeare.

Harry Potter, Twilight, Shopaholic etc. are probably going to tell future generations more about our culture than what we consider high level literature today. (I still argue that the first Shopaholic is actually pretty good)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Maybe, if you want to essentially ignore the social context of Dickens work.

Comparing somebody's popularity with something else doesn't mean you're comparing the quality of the work.

As Mcustic pointed out it's hard to evaluate what will be seen as classics down the road, especially from our generation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's probably worth studying in 50 years why Stephanie Meyer has made more money than all the authors born before 1940 put together.