Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
There's some fiction series about a British soldier (mercenary?) around the Victorian era, with at least some of the stories happening in Afghanistan and India. It's a relatively well-known work, I think relatively modern historical fiction, and the character's name somehow reminds me of "Lord Flashheart" from the Blackadder comedies.

I've tried googling up variants of all the above, and coming up short. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I moved to West Africa to do development work, and at least part of the time will be in rural areas where I don't have internet and don't want to wear down the batteries on my phone reading the Kindle app. So I'm encountering one of those increasingly-rare modern circumstances where cheap books on paper are suddenly really useful again. So what's the current good way to get a hold of a number of cheap new paperbacks in a compact format for classics?

I've bought the Dover Thrift Editions frequently in the past for deployments, those are a little taller/wider than standard paperbacks but very slim, and run as low as $1 new on Amazon, so those are pretty cool. Is there any cheaper way to buy those in decent numbers other than just scouring Amazon for whichever ones are $1 today?

Back in the 1990s when I did NGO work, there was some other relatively established publisher that had a number of books of classic short stories and poetry, in paperback books with relatively sturdy covers that were between the size of a deck of cards and a regular paperback and really slim, similar to the City Lights pocket poetry books but slightly smaller, really inexpensive though sturdy, with a yellow/cream cover framing the cover image. I really wish I could find just one of those somewhere in the house so I could figure out if they're still printed.

Any overall suggestions on how best to get paperback books (but with sturdy covers) of classical stories/poems/plays of literally pocket-size, reasonably cheaply, and without having to scour eBay to buy used copies individually over time?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

blue squares posted:

Get an actual Kindle. The batteries last for weeks. You can get books instantly from the internet.

Right, but a Kindle I can't just freely hand over to another expat or local employee and not worry about ever giving it back, can't just gift it away to a local kid when I'm done reading it out in the field, etc. There are still some legit uses for cheap paperbacks.

quote:

Look into AbeBooks, Thrift Books, and Better World Books. Goodwill has stores set up on Amazon, and you can buy a lot of amazing books from Amazon and only pay for shipping.

Thanks, will give those a look-see. I've had mixed success in the past buying used books by the lot off eBay, like in Afghanistan I got a box of like 15 different Faulkner paperbacks for $30 or whatever. I'll see if I can find an individual seller with a number of cheap books where I can get them packaged up together for efficient shipping.

I still would love to find a good source specifically for little pocket-sized editions that aren't too expensive. I have a couple of those Shambhala Pocket Classics that I carry around while traveling, but they're all like $5-7 and mostly about Buddhism, so rather niche and just slightly pricier than I want to freely just give away as the spirit moves me.