Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I usually have two or three books on the go at once, so they pile up over the year without feeling like I'm trying to bang out a book a week or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I had no idea he had a new book coming out until now. So, who here is going to read it so I don't have to? I'm guessing it's probably a bit like the plot of Seven, dudes being murdered in outlandish ways to match Dante's Inferno. Bets are on that Langdon is assigned some bizzaro role as Dante by the murderer who considers himself to be Virgil, guiding him through each stupid set piece.

I saw a display of them at a supermarket. The tagline is something like "Seven circles, one killer," it's got a picture of Dante on the cover and the jacket copy made a point of saying the hero has an IQ of 204. Basically it's a cool summer read

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Roquentin posted:

Dan Brown is a richer person and a more successful writer than anyone in this thread will ever be.

Hey Dan, will your next book be about about a group of travellers who get murdered outside Rome? Can you call it The Boccaccio Bungle?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Hello. I am looking for some George Herbert and amazon has this: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-English-Poems-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140424555/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any reason no to get it?

It looks like a solid collection (over 100 pages of footnotes, although I hate how Penguin sticks them all in the back of the book) and Oxford doesn't seem to have their own volume, so go wild. I wouldn't overlook this Norton Critical Edition, though: it's doesn't seem as complete, but in addition to notes, it's packed with essays and criticism from heavy-hitters like Auden, Eliot and Coleridge which you might find interesting.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm not sure about that particular one, but I know my other Norton editions keep the footnotes on the same page, so I assume it's the same.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

I realize that. Pretty much all my books are mass market or trade paperbacks but none of them are as bad as this. At the very least all the pages for those other books are in line with each other.

Email the publisher, maybe it's just a quality control issue. I remember someone here a while back had a book printed with paper from the end of the roll, so there were stickers and crap with text printed over them, and I think the publisher exchanged it for another copy.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Personally, I'm really looking forward to Adelle Waldman's The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. and the new Pynchon, although I'll probably hold off on that until I get around to reading Against the Day.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Killstick posted:

Don't know where to ask this but is there any software alike to Steam for books? Where you can follow authors and be alerted when a new book is announced / released? I'm looking for a good ebook source basically with more features then just an e store.

Goodreads will send you emails and such when authors you've read have new books coming out and you can even follow some of them on the site.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

fgwsss posted:

Does anyone know of any good used book sites? I use Thriftbooks right now and was wondering what other similar places are out there.

I swear by Biblio and particularly Better World Books which has great shipping rates.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

taco show posted:

Where do people look for newish book recommendations? By the time last year's Tournament of Books rolled around, I had read only one on the list.

Alternately, is there a metacritic/RT type site for books? I don't need the grade averaging, I'd just like one place to look at reviews and maybe discover new reviewers I like.

If you have a bunch of stuff on your wish list/purchase history Amazon is pretty good at finding new books. The Millions also has great previews once or twice a year, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
For what it's worth, LOA collections are usually well put together: you can lay them flat without hurting the spine, have nice binding and nice paper (and a little ribbon for a bookmark is sewn in, too). If you treat it well, I bet it'll last you a lot longer than a cheaper paperback.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Guacamayo posted:

I remember reading some Greek myths in high school and want to do it again. What books or resources are there with good translations that you would recommend?

If you're looking for an anthology of myths, Penguin just reissued Robert Graves The Greek Myths in one volume, complete with a new introduction. If you're looking for a collection of primary sources, I enjoyed Ovid's Metamorphoses, particularly the Oxford World Classics edition: it's a poetic translation with a good introduction and tons of end notes. I hear Charles Martin's translation is supposed to be good, too and has an introduction by Bernard Knox.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I did a quick search and it seems like the only edition of The Time Machine to include that is by Easton Press. If you want a critical edition, though, there's a bunch out there. Two that seem promising are Broadview's, which includes a ton of appendixes, notes from Wells on the book and contemporary reviews. WW Norton's edition has notes, a bunch of Wells' science writing and a mix of modern and period reviews.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I finished listening to the audiobook of Fifty Shades of Grey. I remember when people said it was basically Twilight fan fiction, but I didn't realize they were being literal. Pretty much every thing about the book is awful, just like the Twilight movies. At least the ending is the logical conclusion.

Yeah, when it was self-published, the author had to change the character's names because it was a literal Twilight fanfiction. Think about that: one of Art Garfunkel's favorite books is an erotic Twilight fan fiction with the names changed.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Sad news: Colombian poet and novelis Alvaro Mutis died today at 90. If you're not familiar with his work, NYRB has a great collection of his Maqroll novellas.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

DerLeo posted:

What's generally considered to be the canon for American war novels? I can name Catch 22 and A Farewell to Arms, but beyond that I'm a bit stumped n

A few big ones:
  • The Thin Red Line by James Jones
  • The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
  • From Here to Eternity, also by James Jones
  • MASH by Richard Hooker (really, though, it was WC Heinz ghostwriting for army doctor)
  • The Enormous Room by ee cummings
  • A Fable by William Faulkner, which might be stretching the canon a bit but it's Faulkner
  • Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon (which is probably stretching the canon to the breaking point)

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Over at Grantland, there's a neat Q/A session with Don DeLillo. They ran part of Pafko at the Wall, too, which is a fun read if you've never read Underworld.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I thought a big city library would have every book I've ever wanted to read, but they rarely have even one book just by the author :smith:. What a total drag, I lovehate buying books.

Don't they do inter-library loans?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I remember a while back, there was a Let's Read Dante thread that fell apart for some reason before it really got started. If any of you are still interested in something like that (I am), The Paris Review is recapping it canto by canto every week. Here's part one and they're five cantos in right now.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Rass P posted:

don't get me wrong, the failure of the gay jew named rusty to find authenticity in his personal life, which was mirrored by the same failure in culture at large definitely resonated. but when i turned off the poisonous empathy i could see that good books were still bad; and there was nothing left to do but post. then some fag in the literary discussion forum told me literary discussion is impossible because of solipsistic mind-blindness

its actually because you werent reading a game of thrones: the crow's feast by george r "r" martin

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
There's also a nice PDF of Salinger's out of print stories floating around online. It's a through collection and makes me wish stuff like Hapworth 16, 1924 was more easily available.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

When you're reading a book of short stories or essays is it trashy to tick off the ones you've read with soft pencil on the contents page?

No. Hell, I write in the margins of just about anything, even sports biographies.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Sphinx posted:

Has anyone bought books published by Dover Thrift Editions? Their books are very cheap, ranging from around $2 to $5 depending on if they are giant versions. I've read that the paper and binding is of poor quality. Would I only get about one sitting out of these books before they fall apart or is that an exaggeration?

In my experience, you get what you pay for: the paper's cheap, there's no notes and usually barely an introduction, but if you don't mind those (or if it's translated, a translation that's in the public domain), they're fine.

That said, if I'm going cheap, I usually go with a Wordsworth Editions. I think they're pretty good quality for the price and I like their covers better, too: just about every Dover book has a cover that looks like Victorian wallpaper.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

Do people actually read the introductions? Unless the book is nonfiction I can not believe anyone wanting to read several pages of some other dude go on and on about how great they think the book your about to read is.

Generally they're more about putting the book in context: a history of the author, how it was published and received, what influence it's had on other writers, a note on the translation, that sort of thing. I usually read them after I've finished, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Juanito posted:

Yeah, I never read introductions before reading a book. It's kind of like watching a short special about a movie, right before you watch the movie.

Just completely out of spite for ya'll I read the introduction to a book today, before I started reading the book :rms:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

tonytheshoes posted:

Regarding Infinite Jest--my paperback copy has this weird typo phenomenon where in various places, there are superscripts gone wild. I don't have the book in front of me so I can't cite an actual example, but in places the book l1o1o1k1s1 like t1h1i1s1. Does anybody know if this problem persists in newer copies of the book? I also have it on the Kindle, but I'm assuming those typos don't pop up there--I just feel like IJ is a book best read in physical form, but it drives me C1R1A1Z1Y1.

That's probably the zillions of footnotes DFW infested his writing with.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Unless it's star trek, in which case both the movies and books suck

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Doom was both a good movie and a good book

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I don't really have an opinion one way or another about deckle edging, but I enjoy how it makes some people so mad that Amazon has to specify if a book has it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Joramun posted:

They specify it because it's a selling point, not a deterrent.

I always thought it was because of complaints. Either way I enjoy how they specify. But maybe I'm weird; I bought a book yesterday and didn't even realize it's deckle edged until I got home.

Helmacron posted:

Unless you're on the decklage that steeps down yonder from you, the page underneath's width that mm longer or so, then you gotta play some tricky poo poo out because someone, somewhere, thought that inconveniencing you personally with some weird old fashioned book cut was his God Given mission circa 2012. I feel like people who like deckled edging would be the people who appreciate Monty Python for it's timelessness and don't entirely think we should, you know, but that it would be pretty cool if we only used the original Oxford Dictionary for english and here's why:

loving deckling. My friend works at an opportunity shop, or volunteers or whatever, and he's always bringing stuff home and it tends to be great but he has such a huge collection of books at his disposal, we're always trying to think of something to do with such a selection of Crichton and Steele and Smith, and it never occured to me, like, not even as whimsy, until he brought home I think some Eggers book with deckled edging and it hit me, book burning party. Deckled Edging Gave Me The Idea For A Book Burning Party.

:golfclap: