Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
So. I loiter in Goons With Spoons quite a lot, and they have a splendid general chat thread for matters unrelated to food. They also have a separate thread for people to ask general cooking/food questions (a need which is diminished in TBB). It occurs to me that TBB could do with something similar, but integrated: a general book barn chat and questions thread. You CAN talk about books and reading and writing if you want; or you can just shoot the breeze.

What say ye?

I will get things started. I just finished A Pale View OF The Hills, and while I cannot claim to have completely understood the story, it's still pretty drat amazing. Ishiguro is the master of the allusion, the unsaid, the suggestion - so the reader has to do some work (mostly but not always successfully!). What did people think the story was with Sachiko and her daughter, and Etsuko (narrator) and her husband?

Also, I was just invited to a weekend in Majorca with a colleague/friend, and it was incredible. Even though the weather wasn't brilliant it is such a beautiful place, and the food was delicious too. It didn't hurt that her mother's house, in which we stayed, was absolutely spectacular. We picked oranges off her trees to make fresh juice for breakfast...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wickles posted:

I was thinking of creating just such a thread last night - but then fell asleep and forgot all about it. I thought it could be more for book news or general chat but if off-topic stuff works well then so be it.

Radio 4 is one of the best things in the world and at the moment they have an 8 part series called Capturing America: Mark Lawson's History of Modern American Literature "Mark Lawson tells the story of how American writing became the literary superpower of the 20th century, telling the nation's stories of money, power, sex, religion and war".
It features insightful interviews with the likes of: Cornwell, DeLillo, Doctorow, Ellroy, Irving, King, Mailer, Roth, Updike, Vonnegut, (you get the idea).

The programmes and the individual interviews are available here for UK users at least (does any of this work for anyone outside the UK?)

Yeah, sure you did. :smug: I thought off-topic by people who like books and reading could be neat-o.

Radio 4 is awesome. I podcast The News Quiz every week, and "In Our Time" with Melvyn Bragg. It's always on in the background when I am cooking, clearing up, etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Machine posted:

Where do you guys read book reviews? :3:

Looking for something that would have a large mix of new/old books (that isn't just Amazon user reviews).

The New Yorker, The Guardian (https://www.guardian.co.uk), used to get NY Review of Books and London Review of Books, but cancelled them - only reason I used to get LRB was to read the hilarious personals.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wickles posted:

If Radio 4 was ever affected in any way I think there'd be a middle-class uprising! Have you ever heard some of the random poo poo people complain about on Feedback? (Fridays at 1:30PM)

Actually, if any one has any copies of The New Yorker, New York Review of Books or London Review of Books they no longer want can I have them? I'll pay for shipping.:unsmith:

Sorry, man - I hoard my New Yorkers.

Yes, can you imagine if they made cuts to Radio 4? People would be marching in the streets politely, waving grammatically-correct placards, and registering their objections in the strongest possible terms (without resorting to foul language). They'd egg the minister in charge with Waitrose organic free range eggs. (I must confess to being squarely in this demographic: Radio 4-listening, Guardian-reading, media-working, organic food-eating middle class liberal.)

PS glad to see people climbing in to this thread. That's the spirit!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shonagon posted:

They aren't necessarily making anyone much money, because they don't sell many copies. Say you've got a print run of 4000 copies, and after four years you have to pulp any remainder and bring out a new edition. The cover price on that 4000 print run has to pay for:

- Author advance/royalty, maybe 7.5% of receipts (don't know about academic)
- Bookseller discount, anything from 35% at your local bookshop to 80% if you're buying through Amazon. (Yes, Amazon get an 80% discount from the publisher.)
- Print costs, pretty high if the book is full of photos or colour. High print cost and low print run = crippling unit cost
- Production costs, also high if the book is full of diagrams and charts and numbers that have had to be painstakingly double checked
- Salaries, heating and light at the publisher's office (if a book doesn't make any contribution to that, the publisher goes down)

So on the £35 you just paid for a textbook, the publisher gives away maybe 55% in retailer discount on average. That leaves around £17 to cover author costs, image costs, freelance costs like designers, proofreaders, indexers, running costs including salaries, print costs (which could easily run to £3 per book or more for this kind of thing), and the small profit without which the publisher is just not going to bother to do it in the first place.

Obviously these costs apply to everything, but you can imagine that when you're printing 30,000 copies of a mass market paperback, and expecting to reprint at 10,000 without changing a thing beyond the copyright page, your unit costs are very small. (You are really getting gouged when you pay £6.99 for a Dan Brown p/b, in terms of cost to the publisher vs cover cost.) If you have to make a new edition every few years, your unit costs are huge, and you have to price accordingly. This is also why travel guides are so absurdly expensive.

I completely agree that all travel guides and academic texts should go electronic, though bear in mind what that will do to the costs of texts for people who don't have/like/can't afford e-readers.

The London Deanery (NHS UK) has been giving out e-readers already loaded with medical textbooks to junior doctors and apparently it's been really successful. I'd expect that kind of thing to become the norm in the West soon. But again, where does that leave places that can't invest in that kind of technology?

(This is not an apologia for publishers and obscene cover costs, we operate on a retarded business model and have only ourselves to blame. Just an explanation...)

My question then would be why so many very specific textbooks are needed, especially at relatively introductory levels? Why write your own first-year economics textbook (with the corresponding low print run and high costs) when there are plenty out there that would probably be 95% as good?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Shonagon posted:

Wouldn't you try to be the recognised expert in the subject, and the guy getting the royalties, rather than just telling people to buy someone else's book? Of course a professor would want to pimp their own texts. The real question is why universities don't lean on flagrant abuses such as the above. (Out of interest, how many of those texts were printed by the university publisher?)

Hah - my ex studied philosophy at Oxford, with a highly renowned ethicist, who set all his own stuff as required reading for the course and, when asked a question, would reply, 'Let's see what I think about that' and flip to a relevant page in one of his books. Ethicist.

I'm not defending the practice at all, I think some of the stuff above is disgusting abuse. I just wanted to point out that academic textbook prices aren't set at £35 purely because the publisher knows people have to buy them (though there's always an element of that in any pricing strategy); poo poo costs money to make, too.

In answer to 1, sure, yes, but I suppose the job of the publisher is also to ascertain whether the demand would be there, and if said book will be the one to succeed.

The ethicist one is classic. I wonder if there was any self-awareness or humour in what he did and said. I certainly hope so...

I think that we're both actually seeing both sides, and this isn't really an argument anyway: poo poo costs money to make and distribute, and the system is also abused, with elements of monopoly pricing.

Group hug!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Irisi posted:

Thank you for the explanation, Shonagn, you're always so informative!

It does make sense for the NHS to be giving out the e-readers, given that little details about methods of treatment, etc. are constantly being updated & revised. Wish they'd give them to us poor, underfunded nurses & midwives in training too. (Mind you, that would mean that I wouldn't get to colour in diagrams of the lymphatic system anymore, and I quite like doing that; it's not every field of study that classifies "colouring with crayons" as a legitimate method of revision)

Stop complaining bout being underfunded, whinging nurses. All you have to do is nursery-school-level colouring-in, and changing bed-pans.

I'm voting Tory because that George Osborn is sooooo dreamy, and they'll show those lazy public service workers a thing or two!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

McMurphy posted:

Gentlewoman and gentlemen, I implore you: if you are going to write your brilliant observations in a book then give away that book, write is loving pencil. If it's a library book, just kill yourself. That's all.

Yes. Otherwise it's desecration. People who write on books other than their own make me furious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LGBT War Machine posted:

Actually, they would register their protest without hesitation or repetition and sung to the tune of an entirely different complaint. And then they'd drive the minister to Mornington Crescent and stick his head under a tube train.

Sorry, you used "then" twice there. One point for me!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Why on earth hasnt this idea caught on in UK or US?

Those are awesome. Maybe it hasn't caught on in the UK or US because the books are still selling strongly enough in their original forms; or there might be issues with who holds the rights and how they can be sold. Perhaps they are trialling it in Aus? Also, having just confirmed that AU$20 = £12, I think another reason is the relatively high cost of books in Aus compared to here, where a paperback very rarely goes for that and is usually between £6-£10 listed price (with lots of specials and buy 2 get 1 free offers etc - I just picked up Wolf Hall for 50% off listed price of £9). A bargain range wouldn't be able to undercut existing books by that much.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LGBT War Machine posted:

Nope, just the once. False challenge!! Point to me and my go.

On the other hand, this may count as a deviation and so we both lose. Sandi Toksvig takes the round.

Bugger! I meant to say "They". False challenge indeed. I shall send an angry email on the subject to Question Time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
hey? A mod stickied this. Thanks, friendly mod! :smug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wickles posted:

With Borders gone where can I pick up the occasional copy of The New Yorker in the UK for when I'm feeling all :monocle: ? Someone must know.

Depends where you are. In Soho there is a newsagent on Old Compton St that stocks them - pretty sure various other newsagents do too. My question is why you want an occasional copy when for US$112 you can get a whole YEAR'S worth delivered to you?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grushenka posted:

Used bookstores are the way of the future. Oxfam books in Headingley is claiming much of my stipend right now.

Lords knows I've used them often enough but I fear for their effect on decent independent bookshops.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I work 5 minutes walk from Foyles on Charing Cross Road, and if they don't have it there is Blackwells across the road and a Waterstones 5 minutes away. :smug:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Isn't there a US version of the site now, though?

Yep. It's in Texas. Mostly school books though.

I use little scraps of paper or train or tube tickets as bookmarks. New Yorkers have the handy subscription card. Whenever I try and remember the number I find I only remember the number when I find the page I was reading: "Oh yeah, I remember p60 now." D'oh!

I never dog-ear pages, but I do break spines. Books are there to be read - but not necessarily defaced.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jmaze posted:

I won't dog-ear pages in a hardcover, but paperbacks are meant to be used and abused. Dog-earing a page is much more convenient than trying to find a place to hold the bookmark while reading.

leave the bookmark where it was and continue reading from there? Doesn't seem too tricky.

I've just bought Wolf Hall, but it's just too drat big to carry around with me to read while commuting. Small novels and magazines for me. That's why I never buy hardbacks (cost too, of course)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I don't know if anyone here can help me, but. I just read a book called The Baker's Boy--picked it up used and was looking for a pulp fantasy "young man finds noble destiny/spoiled princess discovers own strength" kinda read--and I hated it. I bought the sequel at the same time, and I may end up reading through it (because I'm weird like that), but really disliked the fact that the author seems obsessed with the darker/ickier aspects of human sexuality and the incredibly lame, pseuso-Dickensian religious villain. So I'm wondering if anyone here has read the full trilogy and can tell me what happens, because I really don't want to have to read two more full books to find out that the titular character dies unexpectedly, mourned by his love interest, but not before bringing low the blah blah blah. Thanks! And if no one can help, uh, I advise you not to read these.

You're weird! I read to enjoy. if I don't enjoy, I stop. I have no qualms about not finishing a book I don't like. YMMV. It's like saying "This movie was terrible, but I am gong to watch the sequel anyway!".

Haven't read the books, can't help you. Would love to be able to allow you to stop reading terrible book 2 though!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LooseChanj posted:

There's a thread for that, which I can't blame you for not noticing because it's fallen to the middle of page 2. :cheers:

I can. Not bothering to look beyond the first page! sheer laziness which deserves a thorough horse-whipping.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jmaze posted:

uh, um, 23!

I'm sorry, that isn't Numberwang!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Someone needs to start a Numberwang thread in GBS :laugh:

Maybe I will.. maaaybe I will... I was thinking of Mornington Crescent, actually, but Numberwang works too

Well, that got gas-chambered pretty quickly. Fun while it lasted.

therattle fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 16, 2010

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

There's some fiction series about a British soldier (mercenary?) around the Victorian era, with at least some of the stories happening in Afghanistan and India. It's a relatively well-known work, I think relatively modern historical fiction, and the character's name somehow reminds me of "Lord Flashheart" from the Blackadder comedies.

I've tried googling up variants of all the above, and coming up short. Any ideas?

I'm 99% sure you are looking for the hilarious, superb, historically accurate "Flashman" series by George MacDonald Fraser. Flashman isn't a mercenary, he's a soldier, but the period is spot-on, and there are books set in India and Afghanistan. (Yes! got one that I knew before I was beaten!)

I highly recommend them. They are that rare beast, the high-quality yet entertaining book. (I like the Patrick O'Brian's too).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dr Scoofles posted:

Are these spoof books? I've seen them in the bookshop and have avoided them because I'm too fond of O'Brian and Cornwell's cheeky yet grubby takes on that era. Characters like Sharpe are sometimes absurd but the love of the history is there and so he doesn't do overly dumb poo poo like holding a rifle in each hand at the same time.

They are highly accurate and detailed. The are humorous but not spoofs per se. The character of Flashman is a bully, a coward and a lech who gropes, bumbles, screws and drinks his way through various historical events. The different angle to the conventional historical novel is his vile and weak character (with some redeeming moments - Fraser makes him seem nonetheless likable and sympathetic, which is no mean feat). For what it's worth, I really, really like the Sharpe and O'Brians too; I'd place these firmly in the same camp, but with the tongue slightly more in cheek.

Oh, and TapTheForwardAssist - there is a dedicated thread for questions like that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

Going through some rough changes in your life hmmmm? I recommend the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin.

How long before some Objectivist recommends "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

Speaking from experience you should not read that while depressed.

Or at all!

:munch:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jmaze posted:

Though I like some of the political ideas presented in Rand's work, I think the books are terribly written. I liked reading Atlas Shrugged at first, because she was presenting these ideas in ways I hadn't thought about them, but after she started just repeating herself over and over again, it got pretty old pretty quick. Her characters are just terrible, too.

Well, that worked better than intended. I did actually read both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead (twice I think), and while I quite enjoyed the stories themselves, the writing is pretty awful for the most part. She can construct some nice images though, to give her some credit. I remember skipping through pages and pages of stultifying speechifying in AS. I was younger then; I think now I'd find the writing even worse and the Objectivism even more objectionable.

Oh, I also read We The Living. I am afraid that I don't even remember what I thought of it, thus probably not very much.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Van Dis posted:

This forum has terrible taste but here goes nothing.

I'm on a cross-country bicycle trip and would appreciate recommendations for actual good books relevant to the places I'm riding through. For example, so far I have read:
  • Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent (before the trip)
  • Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose (through the Columbia River Gorge, Idaho, and parts of Montana)
  • Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It and Other Stories (along the Blackfoot River itself and other parts of Montana)
  • John Fire's Lame Deer, Seeker of Visions (through the Indian reservations of South Dakota, including Pine Ridge)
And right now I'm blazing through On the Road. I am currently in Omaha and on my way through Des Moines, Kansas City, St. Louis, Nashville, Atlanta, then northeast through Richmond, DC, Philadelphia, New York, and finally Boston. Since you guys can't seem to read anything not in bold, let me just ask,

What literature do you recommend for going through those parts of America?

Keep your lovely science fiction, fantasy, airport books, milporn lit and all similar recommendations to your goddamn self, you worthless loving teenagers. I swear to Christ I will ride to your house and stab you with my spare spokes if you even think about posting that poo poo at me. I will tear your limbs off and beat you with them. I will kick a hole in your torso with my ironwoon legs. I will use your entrails as handlebar streamers. Why is this forum so obsessed with bad literature. It's like you are actually retarded, unable to read anything without a spaceship or elf babe on the cover, unable to think about words and sentences and paragraphs and narratives beyond "That was a cool fight/sex scene." God drat every single one of you.

(Also, I've read a ton of Mark Twain, which is what I'd recommend first to someone asking me this question, so don't bother recommending him. Thanks in advance!)

Jesus, talk about a way of alienating the very people from whom you are asking for suggestions. Let's all tar everyone with the same brush, shall we? Done being all venty-venty? Good. You're lucky I'm a forgiving man with a heart of gold etc etc.

Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon for your Pennsylvania portions.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (author forgotten).

I am sure that there are oodles of NYC books. I can't think of that many right now, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dub Mapocho posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I thought that snipe was damnably funny. And I'm Jewish. Simmer down, angry mod! They were being funny!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

I've found that not really a problem at all. If you want to discuss classics of western lit for example you can pretty easily find large active discussions about it without having to deal with any of that kind of stuff.

I dunno, whenever I went to discuss, say, The Brothers Karamazov there were always brats in there arguing about who got to play Dmitri, Ivan or Alexei. (everyone always wants to play Ivan. drat emo kids).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Viconia posted:

In other news, the book store down the road from me is closing, so I can't have a gander at lunch in there anymore. I'm really annoyed about that!

Also, not sure about ye, but I've been to about 5 bookstores and none of them have the SA Book Club's Book of the month "Vacation". Anyone else found that problem? Like what the hell?

Choose a better book, buddy. Sheesh. (Book shops closing makes me sad).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

deety posted:

I've only gotten really good deals on eBay when the books are listed in batches, I've sometimes found listings for 5-6 books that include the one I want for the same price or less than one copy is going for individually.

In general, I tend to find better prices through Amazon Marketplace.

I can do this because I can afford to, but I do now try to buy books new from independent booksellers. i) They need the business; ii) authors need the royalties. Does anyone feel, just a bit, that buying second-hand slightly screws authors (and publishers)?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

deety posted:

Usually when I've resorted to searching eBay, it's for books or specific editions that are out of print.

But even when I end up in a used bookstore getting something that's still available in other ways, I can't say I feel too bad about it. For one thing, authors and publishers have gotten a hell of a lot of money from me over my lifetime. And, while it's not like I can't afford them new, bargains lead me to buy things I wouldn't typically get. So while the author doesn't benefit from that one purchase, if I enjoy the book then they have a new fan searching for their stuff and talking them up to friends. If I don't like it, then it's still not like they've lost anything because I wouldn't have tried them at full price in the first place.

I'd love to shop at indie stores more often, because while I can usually beat them on price their selections tend to be worth the expense. But there are fewer independent shops around here than used bookstores, and they're more inconvenient to get to.

That is a good point, and in my mis-spent youth of loitering around the 2nd-hand bookshops of the Charing Cross Road I definitely bought things I would not have otherwise tried and was richer for it. If I am looking for something specific though (and not just browsing for things which catch my eye), like the new Tibor Fisher, then I like to pop into Foyles (and end up buying more than I intended to anyway). Alas, I read less now, so most of my reading is of books that are either recommended, lent to me, or bought because of reviews or I love the author.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LooseChanj posted:

That sounds like a really lovely thing to do, making money off it. On top of never giving anything back.

I agree. it is taking advantage of people's' goodwill, and contrary to the reciprocal nature of the site. Too many free riders and the system will collapse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Hopscotch (Cortazar), The Good Soldier Svejk, Suite Francaise, The Voyeur (Robbe-Grillet)

Svejk is a good call.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

inktvis posted:

Published in 1923, so maybe it falls under the same extension of copyright that's keeping the last volumes of Penguin's new Proust off the shelves in the US. Something about copyright being extended to 95 years after the artist's death, that being 2018 in this case.

I am all for copyright protection (my livelihood depends on it)m but give me a loving break. 95 years is ridiculous. Even 70 is pretty drat long. This goes beyond the original point of copyright protection.

While the original miiight be out of (c), the translations probably aren't.

I just saw that the Malazan book of the fallen thread has almost 5000 posts. The mind boggles. What the hell are they talking (more likely, arguing) about in there? (I'm too scared to look)

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 17, 2010

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FakeHipster posted:

I'm about 75 pages into Gravitys Rainbow, and I have no loving clue what is going on. How many drugs was Pynchon on? I read Against the Day, but at least that book had a semi coherent plot.

I've tried it three times but with no luck. Mason & Dixon, I've read six times (as I keep stating on this forum...), Against The Day, piece of pie - but GR? Can't freakin' do it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

abagofcheetos posted:

Any tips on buying used books online that don't charge and arm and a leg for shipping? I managed to find a single book seller on Amazon marketplace that had like 10 books I've been wanting to buy, but their policy is $4 shipping per item, period. I'll be damned if I pay $4 to ship a book I'm buying for $.10.

I guess Half.com is a popular place to buy books, is there a way to easily search if a store has multiple titles, so I can see which sellers have the highest quantities of books I want to save on shipping? Any other good sellers?

obviously he reason that shipping is $4 is that the book is $0.10. What net figure do you want to pay? Have you looked at ebay sellers?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Also, I'm considering starting a poetry discussion thread in TBB. It'd be pretty much a free-for-all discussion, so a bit different from the PHIZ thread I had a while back. If there's dedicated interest in one, I'll do it. I think one comprehensive discussion thread might allow for it to stay alive in the sea of sci-fi and fantasy threads.

Free-for-all, or free-form? :downsrim:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has there ever been a Patrick O'Brian thread here? I was reading the Naomi Novik Temeraire series and I had to migrate over to Aubrey/Maturin just to get my head clear.

Not that I can recall, but there have definitely been O'Brian references and discussions in other threads. My minimal contribution: Thomas Pynchon name-checks O'Brian in Mason & Dixon with a joke about O'Brian who knows rigging better than any sailor on board. I love that little joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:words:

What he said 100%.

I've dug up the Pynchon O'Brian quote, from the inestimable Mason & Dixon:

quote:

Excuse me, Captain, problem with the Euphroes again".
"Get O'Brian up there, then, if it's about Euphroes, he's the one to see."
"Hey t'en Pat. Scribblin' again, are ye? More Sea Stories?" Not only does O'Brian know all then is to know and more 'pon the Topick of Euphroes and Rigging even more obscure, - he's also acknowledg'd as the best Yarn-Spinner in all the Fleets.

If it's good enough for Thomas Pynchon it's good enough for me.

I also thoroughly enjoy the lighter but equally accurate Flashman series.