Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I won't dog-ear pages in a hardcover, but paperbacks are meant to be used and abused. Dog-earing a page is much more convenient than trying to find a place to hold the bookmark while reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

therattle posted:

I can. Not bothering to look beyond the first page! sheer laziness which deserves a thorough horse-whipping.

Ha ha. I just noticed your avatar. That's awesome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Hedrigall posted:

Time to play the Wangernumb round, let's rotate the board!

uh, um, 23!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

wickles posted:

Ebook readers are now a gadget so it's been moved http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3142969&pagenumber=1

Ha ha, I didn't even notice that it had moved. I have it bookmarked, and just thought they changed the title.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Though I like some of the political ideas presented in Rand's work, I think the books are terribly written. I liked reading Atlas Shrugged at first, because she was presenting these ideas in ways I hadn't thought about them, but after she started just repeating herself over and over again, it got pretty old pretty quick. Her characters are just terrible, too.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

One is the old thread full of jerks who love to spoil new readers. The other one is a spoiler-free thread to entice new readers to try out the books and for some of us to re-read. We're following a schedule so we can talk about the books as we read through them.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

One is filled with spoilers, and one isn't. The one that isn't is for new readers so they can discuss the books while reading them instead of having to avoid the cesspit that is the old thread. I don't see why this is a problem.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

barkingclam posted:

But isn't that the very exact reason there's this stuff?

The old thread is filled with people who intentionally spoil new readers. Changing that thread at this point would be impossible. A new one has been created that will ban people who post spoilers.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Daniel J. Geduld posted:

Do you ever wish you could sleep on your stomach?

Yes, actually. Yes I do.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Weed Coach posted:

Agreed, you can only discuss R.L. Stein so much.

I disagree. The literature of R.L. Stein can never be discussed too much.

R.L. Stein's prose > Vonnegut's prose

Debate.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

oops. It's R.L. Stine. You shouldn't judge this man's work based upon my own inability. Here's the real source for all things great in literature:

https://www.rlstine.com

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

R. L. Stine's "A Shocker on Shock Street" was a much better metaphor for modernity than loving "boner-shame". The commentary on how we're all just cogs in the machine shown through the reveal of the two main characters as robotic automatons is one of the most insightful, moving messages in all of modern fiction.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

inktvis posted:

Countdown to trophies being implemented for the Kindle begins now.

YES. That would be awesome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Viconia posted:

Finally got caught up with this thread, was busy all week. If anyone has a problem with 2 GRRM threads, take it up with me and leave loosechanj out of it. The 2 GRRM threads is 100% my doing and if you have a problem with it, take it up with me.

Catch me at viconia@somethingawful.com or PM!

---

In other news, the book store down the road from me is closing, so I can't have a gander at lunch in there anymore. I'm really annoyed about that!

Also, not sure about ye, but I've been to about 5 bookstores and none of them have the SA Book Club's Book of the month "Vacation". Anyone else found that problem? Like what the hell?

I just got the kindle version. Get with the 21st century, jeez.

edit: I guess bookstores closing is my fault. sorry

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

So, I just created a goodreads account:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3834760

I assumed this would give me recommendations based upon the books I like, but I don't find that. Am I an idiot, or does it not do that? I'd be happy to accept anyone as a friend, I'm just not quite seeing the point of this if it doesn't offer recommendations. What do you guys use it for?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

ultrachrist posted:

When you guys first started a goodreads account, did you just start recording books you read from that point on or actually enter in everything from your past read bookshelves/libary?

I entered a bunch of stuff that I remembered reading fairly recently. I didn't enter everything I had ever read.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

LooseChanj posted:

I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

Accelerando by Charles Stross

It's available for free!

http://manybooks.net/titles/strosscother05accelerando-txt.html

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Chinaski posted:

I think I might want to get back into some Sci-Fi. How well has Snow Crash aged? I've never read the author and I've heard so many good things.

I read it for the first time about 6 months ago and still enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminds you that it was written awhile ago when it describes things that basically exist now, but it's still a good story.

edit: I like The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson better. You should read that one. It starts out seeming really, overly cyberpunk cheesy, but it quickly stops and becomes awesome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Diamond Age is good, I didn't finish Children of Dune because it was terrible, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is awesome.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm finishing up the first book of The First Law trilogy. I can't decide whether to keep going and plow through books 2 and 3, or read something else for a change of pace in between. What would you do?

I, however, read it all in one go and loved it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

maxnmona posted:

ideas for poll themes:

-cool books about dicks

-musician tell-all books (written by former body guard level or higher ONLY, no tour bus driver memoirs!!)

-books with just pictures (maybe two because it'll only take two weeks to read one???)

-newest issue of newsweek and time

If you do the books about dicks one, you should include "Accidental Billionaires".

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Parker Lewis posted:

Have you read Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy?

I concur. This series was really, really good.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I just read 2666, and there were a lot of mentally unbalanced characters, including a mentally unbalanced poet and a follower of said poet who became unbalanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

coyo7e posted:

I picked up the first book in Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy right before Christmas, and upon finishing it, I immediately rushed to the store and got the other two. It's a fairly new trilogy and it's a pretty rollicking good time of a pulp fantasy novel about assassins and thieves' guilds and battles and politics, I was wondering if anybody else had read them yet? The author has a lot of strong twists which caught me off guard, and I'm looking forward to finishing the third book this week.

Anybody else checked these out? I've quite enjoyed them so far and am looking forward to more work by the author as he just published the first book in a new series, which seems to be set in the same world.

The author occasionally goes on long, 'breathless' run-on sentences but I'm pretty pleased with his writing overall, it's a lot better quality than a lot of sword-and-sorcery stuff I've read.

Yeah, I really liked these a lot. I just finished his newest book, which is the start of a longer series, I think. It was even better. It's called The Black Prism. Both the wife and I loved it.

The first Mistborn book by Brandon Sanderson has a similar feel to it, and I'm really liking it as well. They all three have an interesting novel magic system that is pretty cool to discover, and the worlds feel well developed and thought out.