Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Half the time the stuff people write in books is completely indecipherable to me. So its as if someone took a book and just started scribbling all over it for no reason. I picked up a library book a few months back and it looked as if someone had drafted a letter in the back. Couldn't make out a single word of it.

On the other hand, in the copy of "Roman Revolution" by Ronald Syme, someone managed to correctly translate a couple of the latin phrases within it. Which was nice.

quote:

I love getting annotated books. I picked up a copy of Dead Scrolls at a flea market in Brighton and not only got an excellent book but some excellent backstory on Gogol and a short comparison of the influences on him from Pushkin and Lermontov. Writing in library books is pretty dickish though.
Brighton as in Brighton, England? Its just that I'm down at Sussex Uni right now and every Tuesday these 2 guys turn up at the front of the uni with a load of cheap second hand books. Anyway, last week I saw "Dead Scrolls" there, only I went back today to go and pick it up and some bugger had nabbed it already...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I say go for it. We need more topics on this forum that aren't just about fantasy and sci-fi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I do actually remember a thread in E/N for books which I think was intended to be a sort of self-help topic. Didn't take long for someone to recommend sci-fi.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Splash Damage posted:

Is it worth, me not being a total sperg, to buy this H.P Lovecraft collection?

http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-GollanczF/dp/0575081562/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews say its not a DEFINITE collection, which is OK by me since those are really tiny details, but I'm more worried about the technical aspect of the book, lots of people mention that it isn't particularly well put together.
Well, I have that edition, and its a hardback leatherbound book thats pretty huge. Its got plenty of stories and pictures and theres a nice little afterword at the end.

However, I don't know much about Lovecraft so I have no idea if this really is a collection of his best stories. Furthermore, I live in the UK so the version on Amazon.com could be different from the one sold over here.

I think some of the reviewers are expecting a little too much though. As an introduction to the mans works, I quite enjoyed it and I'm interested in reading more when I find the time.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

seravid posted:

Yes, but that one isn't available in hardcover. It seems like the only Pevear & Volokhonsky translation in hardcover is the one I linked n my previous post, published in 2001 by Viking Books. Others are either the right translation but in paperback (like the one you suggested) or hardcover but translated by some other people.

If there's really no other choice, I guess I'll bite the bullet, but a 800 page paperback will probably self-destruct in my hands (I really don't like paperback).
Uh, you're really going to pay a huge premium just to read it in hardback? Its only £7 as a paperback. What exactly do you do to your paperbacks to make them fall apart anyway?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So I'm about halfway through MaddAddam.

I haven't read any Atwood outside of this series (which will change soon) but I had no idea that Atwood could be this funny. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I have and it owns. No idea about its historical accuracy but I couldn't put it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The lad is a unit. You might not trust him but you'd definitely fall asleep in his arms.