Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

LooseChanj posted:

I think it only appears that way. What people are going to discuss on an internet forum they use for recreation is going to give a skewed impression, because who the hell wants to talk about the poo poo they read in lit class when they get home?

I think probably for the same reason I don't base all my interactions with women around visualising our coitus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dub Mapocho posted:

But, is two threads enough? Could I post another GRRM thread with a specific focus on linguistic analysis and hermeneutics? Or would it be gassed due to Superfluence? Thanks in advance.

Indeed, a multiplicity of threads is necessary for investigation of the ASOIAF sequence by George RR Martin in its aspect of text-as-intertext.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Earwicker posted:

What the hell? McMurphy has a pretty valid point - having two threads for one book series, one just to "entice people" to read it seems pretty ridiculous.

The primary objective of this forum is actually GRRM evangelism. Please respect our cultural mores.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dub Mapocho posted:

I'd dispute the idea that books can be 'spoiled'. The notion of 'spoiling' i a relic of the pre-post-modern age when texts where assumed to have a single 'meaning' imparted by 'the' Author. The Book Barn needs to develop new paradigms informed by current theory. imo

"Spoiling" imposes a linear revelation sequence upon the narrative, intentionally restricting the freedom of the reader to consider the phenomena-qua-novel in alternative sequences, permitting a contrapuntal reading of the novel - indeed, mapping the novel to the psychogeography of the culture at large.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

jmaze posted:

I disagree. The literature of R.L. Stein can never be discussed too much.

R.L. Stein's prose > Vonnegut's prose

Debate.

One site particularly useful as a critical resource for "R.L. Stein" (sic) can be found here.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

LooseChanj posted:

Well why are we swamped with such things? I imagine it's mighty discouraging when you're looking to discuss War & Peace and only get a couple replies while the grrm thread is clocking a couple hundred a day. Especially when those replies are poo poo posting trolls. People have different tastes, and it's not surprising that there are popular convergence points like grrm.

Ironically, one of the "poo poo posting trolls" you probated on this page is in fact an English PhD. In addition, one might also describe a sewage treatment plant as a popular convergence point.

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl
has the argument in favour of GRRM (George R.(Raymond) R.(Richard) Martin) degenerated into "the many GRRM threads are justified because there are many GRRM threads"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BABY FlNLAND
Mar 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Rotten Punk posted:

Here is a question I've been asking myself.. How can I read more? Back when I didn't have internet access, or cable TV, or video games I could get through huge books in no time flat. In fact I think I read every Hitchhiker's Guide book in like 4 days or something.

But now it seems like I can only read when I'm either a passenger in a car or when I'm laying down to go to bed. I only get a couple chapters of whatever I'm reading a day and it's taking me like half a month to get through a single paperback.

Also while I'm asking questions, are the Dune books written by Brian Herbet any good?

Set up an Excel spreadsheet so you can keep track of the number of pages per day you read. Try to set a target, and use graphs and so on to reach that target. Treat it like a diet, or something.