Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys are allowed to make new posts, you know.

You just have to make them interesting enough for people to want to post in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More like dearth of the author, am i rite?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm getting depressed by reading all the comments online about the actress playing Hermione Granger in the new stage play :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a Harry Potter thread?

Early audience reports from the Cursed Child previews are hitting the Internet. The plot sounds batshit crazy:

Albus Potter and Scorpio Malfoy, who are super BFFs, steal a time turner to go back and try to save Cedric Diggory (reason=?????), only to accidentally create a dark alternate future where Harry died in book 7 and Voldemort took over the world. They eventually fix things. Cameos by past and future versions of almost every character who's ever been in the series.

It sounds both :psyduck: and :black101:

I legitimately can't wait to read this crazy motherfucker when the script comes out. :shepspends:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Further thoughts:

I thought time turners didn't work that way.

The plot is literally Back to the Future and even more literally that fan musical, A Very Potter Sequel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Full plot descriptions:

Part 1 - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Part 2 - http://victorkrvm.tumblr.com/post/145680264471/in-depth-plot-summary-of-cursed-child-part-two

Spoilers, duh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/10/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html

A full synopsis of the play in non-Tumblrite language.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FreudianSlippers posted:

probably only reading the Gormenghast stuff one book at a time because that books is a motherfucking tome.

As opposed to reading them simultaneously? :confused:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

William Stoner posted:

Does anyone find that having a long to-read list overwhelms them? Or that access to audiobooks distracts from reading?

I really enjoy reading, but recently I haven't been. This is frustrating because I have a lot of time this summer expressly for reading.

Anyone have any advice for setting the mood for a good few hours of reading?

Yeah, this is me. I have so many unread books it's getting ridiculous, and my attention span for reading is getting worse and worse recently. Whenever I have an hour or two to spare for reading I end up spending it listening to podcasts, or watching youtube or TV shows.

I keep track of all my unread books on Goodreads, but I have so many now that I've had to split my list into many "to read" lists. Keep in mind this is all books I've paid for and own, but haven't read yet:

must-read-collections ‎(28)
must-read-fantasy-horror ‎(62)
must-read-nonfiction ‎(45)
must-read-other-fiction ‎(26)
must-read-sf ‎(88)
to-read ‎(245)

(that last one being the general list of stuff I'll get to after all the "must-read" books)

The number of books I've finished so far this year? 4 :smith:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Let me tell you why videogames are literature

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

Has anyone read Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous , and more importantly, is it any good?

All comments and reviews point to it being good, but the V for Vendetta mask/4chan Anonymous face for the cover makes me incredibly hesitant.

Get it on kindle.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hype levels are low, but I made a thread for the new Harry Potter book that comes out tomorrow in case people want to discuss it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784894

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want to see a "best moving pictures of the 20th century" list made in 1916.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I definitely remember that but I don't have archives to dig it up. It was in the old Harry Potter thread right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It was more someone confessing that they found reading the first book uncomfortable because they had been abused as a child (can't remember the specifics, it was some kind of abuse by relatives, less whimsical than what the Dursleys did), then a whole bunch of goons started making light of the abuse.

It wasn't the barrel of laughs you're expecting.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

corn in the bible posted:

aooooooo, werewolves of london

Quiet Gary, you're gonna start a howl

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

Are we seriously only going to have seven people participate in the Secret Santa? There's less than a week to sign up.

What's wrong with you people? Don't you like books?

I don't want new books. I'm not asking my family or bf for any books this Christmas. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the amount of unread books I own. It's somewhere around 500. It will take me years and years to reduce that. The only exception is if one of my top few authors releases a new novel, it goes to the top of my list. I've only bought like 6 books this year and it's been such a relief.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thanks hedrigall we were really wondering about your specific reasons for not signing up for the secret santa

Happy to help, fam

TV Zombie posted:

How did you amass so many books without reading them? Are you making good headway with some of them?

I have bad spending habits. A lot of them were from when the Australian dollar was really good 4-5 years ago and I was importing tons of books from the US. I would go on lists/blogs to find recommendations and add like 10 books to my online cart at a time. It was kind of addicting! More recently there are a lot of second hand and kindle books in there. If I see something mildly interesting sounding and it's only like $3, I'll impulse buy.

Also I was reading a ton for a few years and if I'd kept up my reading rate I'd be like more than halfway through them now. But nope, video games and YouTube :v: I need to impose more screen-less nights on myself so I can get back to reading.

Tl;dr don't be like Hedrigall

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rob Inglis's version is the definitive. Totally unabridged, and he actually sings all the songs. It's loving marvellous

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TV Zombie posted:

How would he know the melody of the songs?

He composed them along with someone from the audiobook production company

Sorry I don't know if there are canon melodies for each song in LOTR :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's the audiobook version of Boromir's Lament: https://youtu.be/nM0gHCu-FmQ

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Very fittingly for what is going on in the world today, I just read a novella about how the French existentialist army was trying to attack and dethrone God (Kuolleet puutarhat i.e. "Dead Gardens" by Petri laine, I highly doubt it'll ever get translated into any other language) on the bog. Plot twist: God was tired of their poo poo and was already leaving to other worlds, taking all the souls with him.

Are sci-fi "zines" still a thing around the world?

Literature zines seem to have been replaced by kickstarted short story anthologies

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you abolish publishers who does the job of quality control? Self published novels generally suck

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idk, I have no dog in this race (is that a phrase?) but I do know when, for example, I’m looking to see what sci-fi books have come out lately I start by go looking at what Tor has put out this year or whatever

They seem to serve a purpose in like... curating new talent and promoting them and providing services for the books like editing and design/artwork etc

Idk I’m probably just a slave to capitalism so forgive me

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also publishers employ people whose job it is to go through the slush pile and sort out all the crap so I can have some measure of confidence that a new book I pick up off the shelf in a store will not be the worst trash (but hey it’s genre fiction so,

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also publishers employ people

Like editors and graphic designers and all the other dozens/hundreds of jobs in the book world that aren’t the writing

Sorry I’m such a bootlicker for publishers

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m not saying my argument is flawless and I probably could put effort in to research new books that are getting good reviews and junk

But on the other hand I’m a lazy consumer, put me in the aisle of a bookstore and I’m first drawn to whatever book the publishers did a good job of making look attractive and paying(?) for pull quotes on the front etc

*nervously clutches monocle in pocket, hoping that people don’t uncover my true identity as Thaddeus C. Apital, inventor of capitalism*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I think everyone in this thread is in agreement that authors should get paid more

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Except for JK Rowling!!!!!

e: gently caress, pretend I got this in right after my previous post

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna submit this thread to the Internet Archive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall