Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

vegaji posted:

My books are mutilated. Every page has multiple sentences underlined and things written in the margins, along with "important" pages dogeared (either from just a compulsion to dogear them or for marking them for when I have write about them in class). I'm almost done with Nabokov's The Gift and I have an ungodly amount of text underlined and circle, pages dogeared, and little illustrations drawn in the margins. I always try to leave a mark of my first reading of books so I can "recreate" the feelings I had when reading the book -- you can only read a book for the first time one time.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

(though I never do this to books I borrow or check out from the library. Those books are left pristine)

Marginalia! It's one of my favorite words. My uncle reads like this. I always mean too but I get distracted by the reading. Also he reads slight more noteworthy stuff.

My wife dog-ears the pages, even in library books. :haw: And she works in a library. Myself, I prefer sticky notes. Because they stick. And I can make notes on them.

The only unacceptable bookmark in my experience/opinion is toilet paper. It's bad enough when my dad would do this with books he owned and I'd occasionally borrow. (Curious to see you stopped reading right after they ran a consensual train on that girl in IT, dad.) But it's especially unwelcome when i find it in library books :barf: I know what goes on in the world, I just don't like to be reminded of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
What's wrong with Chuck?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

7 y.o. bitch posted:

His absolutely awful and limited vocabulary, his freshman-level philosophical musings, and his lack of anything approaching a complex or innovative symbol or metaphor makes him think that any poet or writer who does things differently from him is a pretentious bore. He's also a huge misogynist.

e: His poetry is also just prose with too many line breaks. Bad prose at that.

High school freshman or college?

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

7 y.o. bitch posted:

College. High school freshmen are just idiots. I'm not calling Chuck Buck an idiot, just a terrible poet and thinker.

Honestly, I couldn't tell from your posts that you differentiated. I've always loved this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrn1LDDoRc

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

That's hilarious; I have a friend who loves Ellroy so much I like him just by association. It's weird that I haven't read him yet as enthusiastically as he's been recommended. Is Bukowski really that popular with Germans or is that part of the joke?