Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

therattle posted:

Only reason I used to get LRB was to read the hilarious personals.

My creative writing teacher in uni used to read these out to us at the end of every class. Money well spent.

This is a good website for sci-fi reviews. I also find the New York Times Review of Books to be interesting. And I'll plug my own book reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think he means at the end of the actual story, not jsut the afterword. I've noticed this too, especially in current Penguin classics (the ones with pictures on the cover, not just plain orange and white).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's not that hard to figure out. For example: I read on average 30 or 40 books a year, and at 21 I can expect to live for another 60 odd years. Therefore I will probably read between 1500 and 2500 books before I die.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Van Dis posted:

Probably because they look like poo poo. Who wants bookshelves full of identically-spined and -presented books?

Yeah, I'm with you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah this thread actually makes me appreciative of my city. I have a Borders, plus countless regular chain bookstores like Dymocks and Collins, plus at least three great indie bookshops, plus three second-hand bookshops within 10 minutes driving distance.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wow. That site looks awesome and I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. But how the hell is it profitable?

edit: Never mind. I forgot that, as with video games, books are priced ridiculously high in Australia for some reason.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 29, 2010

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has there ever been a Patrick O'Brian thread here? I was reading the Naomi Novik Temeraire series and I had to migrate over to Aubrey/Maturin just to get my head clear.

Are they any good? I've been meaning to read them. I couldn't loving stand Temeraire.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Archyduke posted:

I'm poor and lovely so I mostly use milk crates/real shelves left over from college

This is living.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can anyone reccomend a decently written but amateur book review blog? Not something professional, I can find those myself, just something on blogspot or wordpress. Ideally one with a linked archive. The only one I've found that I like is this one, rather imaginatively titled Russ' Book Reviews.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In Australia, both Borders and Angus & Robertson are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Do any Australian goons know if this means we can soon expect masses of free/heavily discounted books?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you say so. :( I don't know how these things work.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK, I was right - Borders is 20% off today and Angus & Robertson is 50% off. Why, that's almost as cheap as ordering from overseas in the first place!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Just an update on this, it's only the stores that are closing. Which is none near me (although apparently the Town Hall Square A&R store in the Sydney CBD is one, so I might go check that out some day soon).

That may just be Angus & Robertson - I'm pretty sure the Borders I went to wasn't closing down.

Like I said, though, it's not really worth getting excited about, because even with huge markdowns the prices are still about the same as buying from overseas. Australia is a silly country.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I only shop at independent and second-hand bookstores now, and only out of guilt.

On another note, I know the Booker nominees are usually announced towards the end of the year, but is there anyway to get a good guess as to what they will be beforehand? Just once I'd like to have read the entire shortlist, so I can actually have a proper opinion about how badly the judges hosed it up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ulio posted:

Quick question

Where do you guys and gals buy your books? Is there any good online option?

In Australia there's an awesome price comparison website called Booko. I'd be surprised if there weren't foreign versions, though I have yet to hear of them. Maybe there's less demand - is it actually any cheaper in Europe and North America to buy books online? In Australia it is almost always more then 50% cheaper, even taking into account exchange rates and shipping.

I still shop at indies and secondhand stores, more out of compulsion than any kind of loyalty. I just like being in bookshops and can't resist impulse buys.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In addition to Borders and Angus & Robertson going, Reader's Feast (semi-independent) in Melbourne has now closed down too.

Aside from being generally crummy, this also sucks given that I'm hunting for a bookstore job and am up against about 600 or 700 refugees.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 26, 2011

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Asclepius posted:

The South Wharf Borders has changed into some weird discount book store, where everything is $5. I have no idea if they'll be around for any appreciable time, or if the proprietors of the Borders just needed a better way to get rid of stock.

Dirt Cheap Books? There was a CD store in Perth called Dirt Cheap CDs with the same kind of logo, and the Camberwell A&R turned into a Dirt Cheap Books. They actually had some pretty good stock left, I picked up Black Swan Green and Shriek: An Afterword for five bucks each.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting article about why Angus & Robertson and Borders collapsed in Australia; not because the bookselling industry is dying, but because of lovely business practices.

http://www.scribepublications.com.au/blog

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ereader question:

I have a Sony ereader a got as a gift in 2013 and have happily used it all these years because all I use an ereader for is epub books I get from the library via Libby or Overdrive. But now the software I use to upload books to it (Reader for PC) has stopped being able to recognise them, I assume it's something to do with DRM, and when I tried to re-download it I noticed it was last updated in 2014. So I begrudgingly think I need a new ereader.

I assume Kobo is best for epub, but do all ereaders these days emit light? The Sony one didn't and I liked that, I could read it in broad daylight at the beach, and I just generally don't like reading off any kind of screen.

Also, am I correct in understanding that Kindles don't support epub at all, i.e. I won't be able to borrow books off Libby or Overdrive with one?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

(a) The Sony PRS line is still supported by Calibre, which is free, so if you really want to keep using your PRS you can use that; that said, it does take some work (and some additional software) to get Calibre to process DRMed books, so this is only a practical suggestion if you're willing to spend a while loving around with your computer in to save the cost of a new e-reader.

I've had a crack at this, but the problem is then getting it onto Reader for PC (the software, which hasn't been updated since 2014) because I can't seem to make my Sony ereader sync with Calibre. It's only DRMed library books that I'm having trouble with in Reader for PC (and which only started a few weeks ago, so I assume there's been some change in how Overdrive manages DRM files); I can still download and then transfer onto the reader unprotected public domain .epubs from Gutenberg just fine.

I also tried hooking the ereader straight onto my wifi (which I'd never bothered with before) to see if I could log on to my library directly and cut out the middleman, but no dice, it connects but won't recognise any websites.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Huh. Does Calibre not see the e-reader at all, or does it see it but can't send books to it? I don't have a working PRS anymore to test with, but my calibre 5 install still has "sony device interface" and "sony PRST1+ device interface" plugins enabled.

It recognises it, but says it's not a "suitable format" to send to the device. The library books I'm getting are ACSM files... they used to have a little arrow that I'd click to extract the data (?) or convert to an EPUB (???) in the Reader software, but that no longer works. This only happened in the last few weeks so I assume it's some sort of change to how DRM works with Overdrive.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

ACSM is the format that you open in Adobe Digital Editions that downloads a DRM'd EPUB from them. Try downloading the latest version of ADE and opening it in that?

I tried this earlier but ADE for whatever reason simply won't open after I installed it; I tried installing the earlier version, 3.0, but then uninstalled it because when I was trying to open ebooks in Calibre it would default to opening them in ADE... I think I'm just going to put all this in the too-hard basket and buy a Kobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I need a little Christmas guidance.

I have a family member that wrote a book. This is their first attempt at writing something and it's a little rough around the edges in terms of formatting, grammar, etc...

As a gift, I'd like to hire a professional to proof read and format their book. Can anyone recommend a service that does such? Its about 18k words.

This book is more intended to be shared with family, not self-published on Amazon and attempting to sell. I just want to help them get it the best it can be, maybe get it printed and a few hardcovers for the coffee table.

Even if it's not intended for professional self-publishing, the self-pub thread here or the people at the Writer's Cafe on Kboards should be able to steer you towards a good editor/proofer/formatter.

I don't have a regular editor or proofer I use, but for formatting I really recommend Phil Gessert:

http://www.gessertbooks.com/