Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
I was thinking of creating just such a thread last night - but then fell asleep and forgot all about it. I thought it could be more for book news or general chat but if off-topic stuff works well then so be it.

Radio 4 is one of the best things in the world and at the moment they have an 8 part series called Capturing America: Mark Lawson's History of Modern American Literature "Mark Lawson tells the story of how American writing became the literary superpower of the 20th century, telling the nation's stories of money, power, sex, religion and war".
It features insightful interviews with the likes of: Cornwell, DeLillo, Doctorow, Ellroy, Irving, King, Mailer, Roth, Updike, Vonnegut, (you get the idea).

The programmes and the individual interviews are available here for UK users at least (does any of this work for anyone outside the UK?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Irisi posted:

This is entirely true. Here's hoping the cuts the BBC are having to make won't harm it too badly. I particularly like the 5 o' clock news show with Eddie Mair and the ineffable glory that is The Shipping Forecast.
If Radio 4 was ever affected in any way I think there'd be a middle-class uprising! Have you ever heard some of the random poo poo people complain about on Feedback? (Fridays at 1:30PM)

therattle posted:

The New Yorker, The Guardian (https://www.guardian.co.uk), used to get NY Review of Books and London Review of Books, but cancelled them - only reason I used to get LRB was to read the hilarious personals.
All of these are great plus the TLS is useful too. For other stuff I guess sites like Goodreads are good for reviews.

I can't afford subscription to The New Yorker, NYRB or LRB and used to buy an occasional copy from Borders but now that's closed in the UK does anyone here know where I could buy a copy from? They put up a few articles online but the bulk is subscription access only.

Actually, if any one has any copies of The New Yorker, New York Review of Books or London Review of Books they no longer want can I have them? I'll pay for shipping.:unsmith:

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

Irisi posted:

... it's not every field of study that classifies "colouring with crayons" as a legitimate method of revision)
Hey, leave Geography alone!

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

criptozoid posted:

I have arrived at a conservative estimate of the number of books I may realistically expect to read between now and the time when I finally kick the bucket, and it hovers slightly around 1000. Life seems short when measured in unread books.

(This is not viral marketing for those awful "1000 ... you need to ... before you die" volumes.)
How did you arrive at that figure? Seems very conservative to me.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Why on earth hasnt this idea caught on in UK or US?
According to one company source in London, bosses were so doubtful about the concept that they limited the sales area to Australia, New Zealand and India, a decision which cost them dearly in Britain's Christmas market.

It is now rumoured that Penguin will launch the series in Britain this year. Asked about his bosses' reluctance to launch the concept globally, Blake parries politely: "They think it's a terrific initiative and they are watching with a lot of interest."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/books/novel-idea-of-an-oldfashioned-bargain-a-big-hit/2009/01/03/1230681812431.html

Hope they really are coming to the UK soon.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

This has got to be the best Waterstones around

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vento/412712961/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98474855@N00/390986506/

However I find Waterstones to be a huge rip-off and don't recall the last time I bought something from there.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

With Borders gone where can I pick up the occasional copy of The New Yorker in the UK for when I'm feeling all :monocle: ? Someone must know.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

therattle posted:

Depends where you are. In Soho there is a newsagent on Old Compton St that stocks them - pretty sure various other newsagents do too. My question is why you want an occasional copy when for US$112 you can get a whole YEAR'S worth delivered to you?
I'm nowhere near trendy Soho, I'm a student in Yorkshire which means (according to stereotypes at least) I'm poor and tight so can't justify $112. Also I don't think I could subscribe to just the one magazine, I'd have to add the LRB then the NYRB and then why not Private Eye too and so on.

Why does WHSmith still even exist? Thought it would have gone the way of Woolworths by now.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

There is no decent independent bookshop in the Leeds area that I know of so most of my money goes to Oxfam books in Headingley, ah well, at least it goes to a good cause.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

betamax posted:

I am on ther market for an ebook reader right now and I remember there being a thread in this forum with comparisons and opinions on ebook readers. I also remember also a link to a wiki there with further reviews and whatnot... did that thread really exist or was that all in my head/somewhere else?
Ebook readers are now a gadget so it's been moved http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3142969&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

LooseChanj posted:

I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

Ferdydurke, Witold Gombrowicz.