Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ras Het posted:

Hardbacks are gross vanity items

I feel the same way about sheets and refrigeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

End Of Worlds posted:

actually ebooks, due to their existence independent of physical substance as pure idea, are closer to the Platonic Form of the book and therefore innately superior to atom-bound material texts

You're probably being sarcastic, but this was legit my experience when I first bought a kindle. It removed all the distracting and non-reading aspects of a book, all the collecting and organizing and preserving dust covers and showing off and looking for fonts in the colophon.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

TheCool69 posted:

Hi. Can somebody help me. Im looking for books similar to James B Stewarts DisneyWar or Lawrence Wrights Going Clear. Exposes basically.

I remember there being a similar book about Sony Pictures but i cant remember the name?

Any other suggestions?

Crash Course by Paul Ingrassia is an easy read. It's about the rise and fall of Detroit's big three.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hedrigall posted:

How do you guys decide what books to cull when you need to?

I have like 7-800 books now and it's getting loving ridiculous. Especially as I just moved in with my boyfriend who has at least half that himself.

I can get rid of crappy paperback novels and get the kindle edition, but my hoarder instinct kicks in for anything I bought in hardcover or spent more than $10 on in the last few years.

I did (and am still doing) this.

Keep anything that was hard to find, or makes you happy when you pick it up. If you still have too many books, up your happiness requirement.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hedrigall posted:

I was with you with all the book-culling, but this bit hurt me. Books are precious, if not to you then to somebody, somewhere.

Is having to wait for a sale before you donate the only option where you are? Here in Australia, nearly every city/town has a charity shop like Lifeline who take donations all year round. They sell anything they get in their stores, and consolidate stuff every few months for massive book fairs in capital cities.

I dunno, I just think books should go anywhere else before the recycling bin, unless they really are damaged beyond usability.

If you live in America, Goodwill is a good choice.

But if there's any mold on a book, just toss it now.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

RentACop posted:

I don't know if this is the place but I've been plowing through a lot of short fiction collections and wanted to vent: it seems like there's a lot of magical mystery women who lurk in the wilderness waiting to bang dudes until eventually he returns to the real world because reasons and is forever haunted by her half-forgotten memory? I feel like I should take up urbex or something so I can meet some fey broad who may or may not be a ghost

A nymph trope, maybe?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

mcustic posted:

Is getting Infinite Jest on Kindle a bad idea? Would it be unreadable, with all the annotations or whatever?

If you like keeping track of your progress, the last page of the book is ~85%.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

quantumfoam posted:

hard pass then, thanks.

If anyone likes weird literary associated meltdowns, whoever runs the Project Gutenberg Canada website has been having a extended meltdown for quite some time.

Holy poo poo http://gutenberg.ca/index.html looks like a geocities rant.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
About Canada being a new colony of America?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Alex Shephard: Spoilsport

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If your wanna get weird with it, Old and Cold, by Jim Nisbet. First person POV of a schizophrenic who kills people for just enough money to buy just enough martinis.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Very good. Very weird.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I borrow a lot of books off overdrive for my kindle. It’s a two step process that sends you to Amazon.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Solarpunk was coined just for people who think cyberpunk fiction should have a moral purpose. I’m not a fan, but it’s a growing genre.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Looked this up and wasn't disappointed.

Edit: Found it through the developer's comment on this blog post, which I also want to share.

Holy poo poo I used to play this guy’s games all the time. Honeycomb Hotel is a great logic game.

He never really adapted to a post 2002 internet. Or mobile. Or Steam. Or any app stores.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I remember some time ago there was a popular thread here for reading the Bible. Basically was a guide to cut out the fluff and get the meat. Anyone got a link? Not finding it now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916138

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Online bookclubs are hard. I tried running a short story reading club on the trekbbs (way back when it was big and growing) and even that little bit was a struggle.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m reading a paperback from 1963 and everything I open it another piece of the cover cracks and falls off.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gripweed posted:

Can someone point me towards good resources for college textbooks? I'm taking a summer course and the textbook is 98 goddamn dollars, so a more affordable option would be preferable.

eBay. Look for international editions, they’ll have the same content.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When I’ve removed books from kindle it retained all my notes and bookmarks.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Didn’t Amazon just integrate Comixology into their main site after a decade of ownership?

I’m glad I canceled my Comixology Unlimited subscription, I really have a hard time browsing Amazon.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Plus kindle will be recognizing the epub format soon.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I read them in a near random order when I was younger. Pratchett does a good job of reintroducing the characters in each book. So just grab whatever’s closest.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I have encountered a cow orker who to date has recommended I read Paolo Coelho about forty times. I have osmosed mostly bad-to-bland things about his work from people whose tastes align with mine - should I just bite the bullet and read the Alchemist or something?

It’s about as well written as an MBA fable style book but with less useful lessons.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What themes are you liking?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A few classic sci-fi recommendations.

Blood Music by Greg Bear is about intelligent nanotech. It’s a better short story than novel, where the ending is a bit too kind and happy, but it’s the kind of flaw that could make for good discussion.

City by Clifford Simak is a series of short stories that slowly fit your theme. Mankind gives intelligence to a couple species, almost accidentally. And then leaves.

Startide Rising by David Brin is about a universe that is filled with aliens uplifting species to intelligence in exchange for a millions years of slavery.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Just buy smaller boxes. The last time I moved I had like a hundred of the small box size from Home Depot, and only a few larger ones.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m mad at how much they destroyed comixology. It’s not that the original site was great, but it was so much better than amazon.com.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Pale Fire.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Everyone has already mentioned Borges, so…

I haven’t read it yet, but S by JJ Abrams is a puzzle book.

Illuminatus Trilogy, if you want to read what not-really-edgy teenagers read.

Sheep Look Up had a lot of elements hidden in the newspaper clippings, that added up explains why things are happening to the world. But someone else here called it out for old fashion gender roles.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Goodreads has traditionally loved reviews for unpublished books, to give them a boost right out of the gate. They even have giveaways. I’ve gotten a couple through it.

Review bombing is gonna happen no matter when you allow reviews in.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I liked listening to this lecture series;

https://www.wondrium.com/william-shakespeare-comedies-histories-and-tragedies

It’s covers fifteen plays, two or three lecture per play, half hour lectures. I like it because he uses each lecture to do a little bit of talking about the plot, and a deep dive into a theme or technique across his plays that’s exemplified here.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of history books, what are some books that would be recommended if I wanted to just generally improve my knowledge of history, assuming most of what I know is based on vague recollections of poorly taught high school history classes? I'd be happy with books on specific subjects, I'm just looking for what would be the "everybody should read this/know these things" kind of history books.

Cartoon History of the Universe, parts 1-3, for the broadest and most entertaining overview.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair she wasn't the only Nobelist involved, if I remember correctly Günter Grass also played a part?

Also happened in America with Jack Henry Abbott, who was also supported by a group of well meaning literary types.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It’s a great example of a certain type of sci-fi where a whole book is written to explore a cool, physical, sci-fi thing, and then later some plot and characters are added.

I do remember one character very well, because she was bred for luck, which is so stupid I love it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I say don’t read any sequels to any BDO book. The sequels always chose to answer the question of who built the Rama or the Ringworld, and that answer doesn’t really matter.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

ovenboy posted:

For Christmas me and my buddy usually give each other a book that we've read during the year and think that the other might like. I happened to reread both Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea and McCarthy's Blood Meridian and couldn't decide which one to give him until I figured: why not both. They kinda work together in a way, both coming of age stories, but one being sparse and optimistic and the other cumbersome and pessimistic. I am thinking of leaning into it further and adding some non-book thematic thing to the package but can't really think of anything at the moment.

A small piece of butterfly art?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Tree Goat posted:

like famous austrian author adolf hitler is still sitting at 3.18, tied with can xue’s love in the new millennium, that’s sort of a number to keep in mind

* - Better known for other work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t know, I can sympathize a little. In a healthy book culture you’d have access to that information, maybe not directly, but through book reviews, blurbs from authors you trust that aren’t generic as gently caress, an evocative plot description on the inside jacket, friends. I remember one time I was just in the mood for some university novels, so I found a review I trusted and read a couple. That feels like it’s in the same ballpark as looking for tropes to fill a need.