Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So does anyone know a good source of free digital books? I know about the gutenburg project, and I'm kind of looking for ebooks but not really. What I want are files (not :filez:) of books that are semi-suitable for reproduction as a physical book. Pdfs would be ideal, but anything that's workable would be good.

A lot of the sites I've seen have html versions that are all split up into separate pages and would be a huge pain to reformat without totally boning it up. I figure it's pretty unlikely, but I was wondering if anyone had run into something like this?

Any way to browse google books by the ones that are out of copyright/fully downloadable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Awesome, how did I not see this before? But the #1 downloaded item is in arabic???

inspire.pdf table of contents pg 1 posted:

27 The Operations of Abyan in Images
45 I am proud to be a traitor to America
33 The New Mardin Declaration
42 Interview with Shaykh Abu Sufyan al-Azdi
11 My life in Jihad
23 Obama's ploy and the peak of Islam
63 A Call to Islam
69 Legitimate Demands 2
The rest of the contents is all about how sweet it is to be in al Queda, letters to the editor, etc. some kind of militant Islamic magazine?

Then it has like 10 more things about "what to expect in jihad," "it's an obligation," stuff like that. Next comes like 8 pages about how so many agencies and governments are against the mag, then every two pages or so there's a blurb about how al Queda guys never get shot but shoot 50 other dudes rambo style.

"NEWS FLASH [blurry pic of guy with his face covered posted:

"]
In Shabwa, Yemen, the Yemeni army launched an attack on al Queda. There are no reported deaths on al Qaeda's side. In contrast, the Yemeni army have lost 40 of their soldiers as of this report, and many have been injured.
It's packed with obviously fake stories and situations, and has a huge amount of quotes about how everyone hates and is "against us." The whole thing kind of creeps me out. At the same time I've seen similar rhetoric with fundamentalist publications, things like that. It's like people get sucked into a crazy dangerous echo chamber.

Then I scrolled down another page and theres a pic of the twin towers collapsing with this caption in bloody font: UNTIL WE TASTE WHAT HAMZA BIN ABD AL-MUTTALIB TASTED

What the gently caress am I looking at!? This is some actual hosed up for real terrorist poo poo!

As far as google goes, I guess google books got sued? Hasn't something been going on with buzz too?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I haven't read 2666 in years now, and when I did I didn't pay it that much attention, but today I found myself suddenly thinking about two images:

When the Europeans the book starts with take that taxi ride

When the American (p sure) in prison says his dad or uncle maybe, he says he's coming and he's a giant

And I suddenly have this feeling like there's a hidden thread in American culture, like there's a secret cult. Not like illuminati or anything you can be inducted to, but a death cult where like recognizes like. Where some are in some way born apart and these people can look at the night sky and see a vein of stars waiting for them and they're staring into the year 2666 and working towards it.

I don't really know how to describe it, but I think there is something to it. I'm not super well traveled but I've met people who give off that vibe, even if subtly, and only Americans have had it so far. Like... other people do not live like this, they don't have this unspoken acknowledgement of... something... and they don't really seem to have a world view or life style that can begin to detect it. Not even all Americans have it.

I mean sure, think of someone who does all kinds of crimes or whatever, but maybe there's a greater chance that when it's an American there's this sense of a vast intrinsic malignancy that you can sort of glimpse if you're able to peel back the corner a little.

I only really bring up crime because these two images are crime related, although I don't really remember if that second guy is actually American or what he did. If he's not it kind of shoots a hole in this whole line of thought.

I just started reading it and there's an early line where von Archibaldi is described as having an epileptic personal character. I interpret it in the sense of "being touched." Touched and made different, this is sort of what I'm talking about.

I don't know that national character is actually real, but I have known some Chinese and Latin Americans from various places and Koreans and Americans and Europeans who have more in common or rather have a more interoperable worldview, if worldview is even the right word. But then there are these guys, who seem to be operating some kinda alien idea system that is only partially isomorphic to everyone else.

I was just standing outside smoking when this came to me from nowhere and it's not really coherently formed, but maybe if the Portuguese have saudade some Americans have... some thing.

I don't mean burgs and piss beer and all the upper layer poo poo, I mean some seem like they don't even have to look, and they can't even be said to have faith, but they have this fully integrated intrinsic understanding that something is going to step over the horizon, that there's something coming.

Does this make any sense? Maybe there are other people that radiate this vibe that aren't American and I just haven't met any. It's a weird loving country and I say it as one of em. Maybe I'm in this too. Maybe I have been too into the ligotti lifestyle and it's not real.

Those two images when compared to each other show you the difference though, if anyone wants I'll look up the passages to quote. I guess I don't have the vocabulary or haven't thought it out enough to describe it other than by comparison. When I think of people I've known in real life this same difference also shows up. What do you guys think?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

hello im permabanned poster bolanostomper88

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel that it's irresponsible to attribute a trait to an entire nation. That's not how it works, and leads you down the road to nationalism and other bad things.

As for the sense that Americans are aware of the end, or something like that, uh, have you seen our government? Our media? Our health care? This isn't a national ennui/expanded mind/etc, this is what happens when most of the population cannot afford to see a doctor and now we're all losing our jobs because of the plague.

"something is going to step over the horizon" it's the Man and he's been out to get us for decades, and it doesn't help that a section of our ruling class is actively out to usher in the christian rapture

I agree, I just think 2666 sorta has a vibe of it, the way it talks about Espinoza or whoever else, or like german lit or something.

I don't mean an end as in an upcoming catastrophe I mean more in the sense of like... you know how animals can supposedly feel an earthquake is going to start? Something like that. Not an end that has any sort of physical action but some kind of subliminal thing. I for sure get the feeling that some people are really walking around and their worldview is somehow different. In an important way that I can't figure out a good way to describe.

e: As if some people have an impossible to analyze alternate source of motives? Something like this.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 21, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Krankenstyle posted:

I guess you could say that millenarianism has a pretty big place in American culture, such as it is.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You might want to look up doomsday preppers. Which I googled and is apparently also a reality show that profiles these guys.

Yup & yup, but I'm not talking about this and am sort of struggling to choke out what I really mean.

The fact that bolano is himself not American helps throw out the idea that this otherly-conceived worldview is primarily American, although it could be. It's probably an artifact of my life that the kind of people who "have 2666" that I have seen in real life are mostly American.

I don't think the book itself is really primarily about this but it sort of intersects with what is written and without the book I might not have consciously, uh, apprehended it. More like grabbing the tail of an idea than really getting a good grip though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Have any of you guys seen the ganbreeder choose your own adventure thread?

I feel like if you had two normal people, they would look and pretty much act the same in almost any circumstance.

If you popped the hood on the regular person's mind it would be a regular car engine, in whatever state of repair.

If you popped the hood on the mind of someone who has 2666 it would look like an ai generated version of a car engine, normal, but on second glance there are connections and substitutions between parts that would break an engine, yet it runs.

Or like one of the tools talked about in "The Sick Land." Also normal at first glance, but it operates differently even if it almost always gives the same result and performance as the normal mind.

But the more you look the more you realize you have absolutely no ability to understand the most basic principle that governs this thing you thought you understood.

Anyway I started reading it again and only just got to the taxi scene.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Catfishenfuego posted:

I feel like the sense of impending doom and unreality in 2666 has a lot to do with the fact that he wrote it while dying.

I could see it. That's the only book I've read of his, what's his other stuff like?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mrenda posted:

I think you're stumbling across a new country's (person's) fear of destruction, dismay, doom, whatever. Beckett wrote about it in Murphy, where a man shakes himself to death (with help) because he's tried to commune with madness. The actual mad people are already living their life.

Go into an early morning pub with functional alcoholics, a support group for domestic abuse, an out-patients centre for people with mental health issues, talk to homeless people on the street and you'll find the same "same-recognises-same" going on there, maybe tailored to specific examples where their doom has already come.

You only seeing this in America and Americans would indicate to me it's a young country thing. Other nations have been through this many times over. Some nations might be experiencing freedom from it for the first time ever in the 20th century. You might die, you might live, everything might change. Keep going while you can, the people who manage that keeping going won't look back, or at the very least they won't stop. A simple recognition to take what's coming as it comes could be helpful.

This is pretty interesting and something to think about.

But I pretty much botched this whole thing by starting off phrasing it in a way where I'm half talking about dooms and reckonings coming.

I mean to say for people who have the quality 2666 something is coming and they are acting towards its coming. Or they have a 2666th sense. They're tagged with a radioisotope. They can taste it on the wind, always. Those are garbage explanations. The coming thing's not a change or an overthrow and the the 2666ers aren't looking towards it, because they are it. It's at least a part of them even if it hasn't eminated out into the real world even only in the littlest bit as a mere idea can be said to be a little bit real.

When Pelletier turns on every light in his apartment and calls about Moroni it's disgusting, Norton and Espinosa and Pelletier's relationship is disgusting, Moroni and his condition and his sadness are together disgusting, Norton and her beauty and how she knew about the guy who chopped his hand off is disgusting to me.

When Pelletier has a strange dream or Norton explains having friends or Espinosa thinks about being all so modern it is like looking very closely at a big lizard slowly open its eye, but utterly repulsive to me in a way that an everyday real lizard could never be. I think it's because they don't have 2666. They have an active absence of it in a way the taxi driver didn't, he was neutrally buoyant.

The taxi driver was fine. The Parisian prostitute and her husband and son lack, but are less disgusting because they're pathetic & Moroni is a little like them by virtue of being crippled and having that dream about the pool.

(The pool dream and how it went through with Espinoza and Pelletier telling the story to Norton was something I really like about the book and completely forgot)

I think I honestly hate the critics because they are the opposite of the guy who set them on fire with his incredible writing. I can't remember what happens to them, I hope they're entirely destroyed. I don't even remember much about Archibaldi himself or if he even shows up in person.

The artist with the chopped hand I'm not sure but I think he has it. I'm entirely convinced the guy in prison has it strongly but I still haven't made it out of part one. I feel like Archibaldi has it intensely, but the guy he ate tacos with doesn't have it. Btw I'm pretty sure I'm spelling Archibaldi completely wrong and only do it because I'm phone posting.

I'm wondering if I was depicted in the book in the same style as the critics how I would evaluate myself.

I'm also pretty sure now that there is some name for this character trait already. If you know the phase "my hate is pure" like from cspam probably people with pure hate are more likely to have it, but I don't think it's the same thing as having 2666.

Krankenstyle posted:

as a european who hasnt read the book, my input is probably worthless but anyway: every time ive been in the states, it just looks incredibly worn down and cheaply made. i dont mean this as a diss, but like everything is falling apart. roads have potholes, wires are sagging, walls are leaning etc.

patriotic individualism, kinda? "we are all in this sinking boat together, but none of us will try to stop it"

im finding it hard to express what i intended to say

Yeah this is one hundred percent true but I don't think it's because of individualism, because every human being I've ever interacted with who has even a little bit had to deal with any of it either hates the situation and vocally bitches about it, or doesn't seem to notice anything is off

It's a fact of life, like sometimes it's gonna rain, sometimes you'll gently caress up your rim and need a new tire by accidentally slamming into a giant pothole.

They use compulsory labor to "maintain" some of the infrastructure around here, but the prisoners are untrained and don't know how to do the repairs correctly and they immediately deteriorate worse than if the problems had been left alone. It's bitter, grueling work that fills these people with resentment.

Then the guy in charge of this gets on tv and jerks himself off about what a great idea it is, and the reporters are very deferential and never question any part of it, and the people who voted him in jack themselves off for picking such a smart no bullshit guy who gets the problems solved, and then even more people vote for him.

Some places in the US this whole complex is even worse, I think the earth has become poisoned like the land is cursed by the people who have lived on it and are buried in it. No good thing comes from those places, ever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I refuse to read the epics and instead pay an aoidos to recite them to me, AS THE GODS INTENDED

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a convention I've seen in a lot of 19th / early 20th century adventures where it's claimed this is a real account the author has verified and is relaying the true story to the reader (Tarzan, Frankenstein, countless others that I can't recall at the moment).

Was this taken at face value by the public or was it a lampshaded trope?

this is old as gently caress isn't it? I wanna say it's a hundred years+ older even, did gulliver's travels use this frame? Don Quixote?

It feels like something that would have originally come out of classical era histories or something like that but I don't even know where to look to figure it out. Like in the first part authors finally realized "holy poo poo people could be putting fuckin lies into books!? Who would just write a book and lie in it?? Better let everyone know this is legit." Maybe literature had a certain naiveite like I sort of remember the early internet having.

e: Quixote using it obviously would be for ironical satire reasons, similar to how A True Story starts off explicitly saying it's a lie

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How even is the stuff Darger wrote? I heard it was super weird and huge, and that there's a reason his art impressed people but nobody knows the story. (the reason is the story is bad.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I mean is it worth thinking about looking at or no? I'm getting the sense it would be under Tails Gets Trolled which is pretty much the lower limit imo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Eh his journals and then 30,000 pages total how hard could it be to get through? The last one is an autobiography, so

"Spanning eight volumes, the book only spends 206 pages detailing Darger's early life before veering off into 4,672 pages of fiction about a huge twister called "Sweetie Pie""

Hmm. Did anyone even save all the books? It seems to me stuff like this is what would probably be better off digitized then on dead tree.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Disagree. Faust era was the first serious sci fyi that "took" (although not the earliest that survives, p sure the "totally for real and honest tales" was mentioned somewhere around here earlier), and was pretty markedly different from fairy tales in that the sorcerer examines the laws of nature and then develops a method to use them more effectively.

Vs, say, actual fairies. Or like Merlin is half fey or whatever. Or half these big players had a god in their family tree and are super juiced up from it.

Potentially I think some rabbi literature could count as sci fi but I know basically nothing about it, just heard the basics of the golem and some bits and pieces of other stories. Dunno even what the genre would be cause it sounds like something rabbis would be writing not about them doing rad stuff by better understanding reality and the big guy.

Look pretty much scifi is different from fantasy because there's structured non mystical rules to the universe.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wish there was a cheap way to get a decent flat bed style printer so you could print pirated books into signatures and sew them into real books

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
holy poo poo what

i'm pretty sure i have the 2 color version and assumed the other versions were lies

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alienation is a hell of a drug

in conclusion, bomb oil refineries now before it's too late

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
welp that's what happens when you get rowdy in the library

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i got your "begats" right here buddy

apparently conjunctions lost all its funding from bard and could end up just totally hosed. I used to have a subscription.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Don Quixote is fuckin incredible and it's something that might have been published today, it's basically modern.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if ur writing a videogame instead of a book it's ludonarrative dissonance

e: wait that's a little more different

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What is the deal with internet archive wanting me to "borrow" ebooks

it's been like that for a while is this some kind of nft scam poo poo or what

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean, it is kinda hosed up that I can't keep the ebook. But the more I think about it the more I'm starting to suspect some of the way things are set up are kinda bs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
DQ is basically completely modern and would be a better tv show than 90% of the trash that came out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'm both impressed and irrationally consternated that the telescope isn't pointed out of the diorama into the room

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tree Goat posted:

ideally you should have learned the divine tongue that was taken from us in the chaos of babel and read the akashic records, op

the akashic records are a modern fabrication of theosophists, imo the root concept can be at least partly traced back to occult stoicism. The idea of an ancient & correct wisdom, which is sealed within language and can be uncovered, and the unseen order of correspondence relationships are some things they were big into i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1av438mLY

so then look at it from the other side, what the gently caress is your life like where you are the first person to think of things like this and be that guy who invented it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Needing to be divine tongued so u can utter some primeval truths is probably not book barn materiel & iirc dpph was closed long before I ever stopped lurking

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Looks like it just gouged down the side, what the gently caress? What's the pin hole on the other side look like? How the hell does this happen without tearing the wood, these middle parts are plywood too, right? That should be strong enough.

Weird. DIY will surely have a wood working thread who knows.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Why would the shelves have to be changed at all? Check that one that's all hosed up -- there's like 3 that have damage. I dunno, something isn't right but I'm not sure what

E: those metal brackets are damaged too, one's in the wrong socket but they're all bent up
e2: maybe it's the right socket, they seem to all line up correctly could just be from me looking at the pic wrong

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 30, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In the last pic the back bottom pin is already falling out. I don't think they're actually bent out of angle, can't really tell, but that sucker is not all the way in its socket

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tezer posted:

I work in residential construction and specify cabinetry regularly. I also own around 1k books and related shelving.

There aren't any obvious flaws with the cabinetry you've described/shown. I assume the sides of the cabinetry are also plywood. I'm having a hard time visualizing the original pin (specifically, how it could drag down the side of the cabinet creating a groove while failing, without just falling away entirely from the load).

I typically specify a reinforced edge on any shelving wider than 33 inches. I typically specify a lock mitre: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/lock-miters/

It looks like you have a standard mitre, but there could be a detail I'm not seeing and perhaps your shelves are under 33 inches. In any case, if there's an issue you'll notice it pretty quickly (the shelf will bend when fully loaded).

I also specify bookcases with backs and one solid shelf (when they exceed 60 inches in height) roughly in the center to create a more rigid frame. Your carpenter may have attached everything to studs which would accomplish the same thing. If you push on the side walls in the center and they bend in or out, ask for them to be attached to studs around the midpoint to prevent this. There is nothing wrong with your carpenter's method, I typically need pre-built items for faster install but site-built is a fine solution. Just pointing out that there is an additional 'failure' method with site built cabinets without backs/solid shelves that has to be kept in mind.

Yeah this makes sense, if the walls aren't attached and can bow sideways that might explain why the pin sorta dragged down without ripping the wood

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How many leechbooks you all on

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
balds is the one i was thinking of. unrelated I pulled a bunch of info for dit da jow and made it and it worked! didn't actually write down what i put into it tho. probably trying to carefully translate some ole bs is out of my reach these days.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if it's not good as hell you've clearly been cursed with a crap translation of some kind

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FPyat posted:

I was under the impression that "crypto-Jew" was probably already a part of the anti-semitic lexicon.

same. but now it's got layers

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i only read house on the borderland & night land. possibly night land 2? don't remember i think there was a sequel

Eh, kinda archaic, probably worth the time to read, kinda interesting mysterious vibe, but not super incredible mind boggling stuff. Idk 6 or maybe 7/10 if you wanna just sorta focus on the feel of situation. Worth it but not worth going completely out of your way to get to it for those ones i guess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i went and looked him up on wiki to see if i had caught anything else he wrote, and somebody said something like he focused on "the ubiquity of potential terror, of the thinness of the invisible boundary between the world of normality and an underlying, unaccountable reality for which humans are not suited." I mean yeah that's prob right, i wouldn't phrase it that way but it's very much a feeling of something under the surface with those works.

Night land is a weird mix and has almost magitech, which is something that is also mentioned. It's a world with super weird stuff, iirc there's an axe that's basically a proto-lightsaber, and some monolithic easter island head kind of monuments that are infused with weird power. IIRC there's literally what you could consider a normal haunted house in the night lands -- there could be some gothic horror book only about that house, and it's just a fragment of setting, a scene, not even a major plot point -- but also weird dinosaurs and stuff. It'd def not scifi and not magic and not horror and not adventure, but a kind of chemical compound synthetic genre?

Honestly a lot of it i do forget, and i don't even remember if i read the whole night lands or just the short version (apparently there was not a sequel, he just wrote multiple versions). I would describe everything I've read of his as primarily vibes-based. It's not contradictory with itself or anything that blatantly breaks the story, and the plot is important, but it sorta seemed like the plot was an excuse to present a series of imaginary setpieces.

Now that i consider it i've subconsciously injected some of this sorta thing into my dumb rpg games writing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i wish i had been able to have gone thru with my idea to make a wide format flatbed printer and start slamming out copies of books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Got a boner from thinking of huffing rear end, but can't actually huff atm? Next best thing is post about it. The only difference is you can get perma'd