Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I need help from fellow goons in identifying a book. It's bugging the hell out of me!

Many years ago in my teens I read this awesome book, a collection of sci-fi/horror storries. It was in the library of my grandparents' village. I am sure I jotted down the name somewhere at that time, but after a few readings I knew the book so well that it didn't even occur to me to leave a more serious reminder of it somewhere, just in case.

Well of course now many years have gone by and I've totally forgotten its name or writer (not even sure if it was all by the same author or not).

I have really vague memories of 3 particular stories in it, and an even vaguer recollection of a story about a cube (?) which might have also been the title of the book (but don't take my word for it):

Sorry for any spoilers to those who get interested in the book in case we identify it, but I remember as it is too little details about the book, so I need to write all I remember in case someone remembers it:

Story A: 3rd person pov: Character is a male, writer. There's a sort of dust/hair(?) cluster small thingie or something which would look very inconspicous normally, but it keeps moving when he doesnt look, and he starts noticing and thinking he is crazy, in the end the stuff kills him. I know it sounds silly! But the story was creepy, main ideas being writer guy and small inconspicous thingie moving when he doesnt look and killing him in the end.

Story B: 3rd person pov: Busy city on random planet, filled with weird stuff and lowlife and thieves etc etc. Two guys spot one day a pretty girl, who seems to be malnourished, poor, hiding in a garden/park(?) They also notice each other. They were rivels either from before or now for the girl. The girl is wearing a weird furr cover. One of the guys manages to find the girl, get her alone, tries to rape her, the furr cover on the girl eats him alive. Second guy doesnt notice this, he gets to the girl also, is filled with sense of success over beating the other guy and in getting the elusive girl, but quite soon he is eaten also, the furr thingie is protecting the girl.

Story C: 1st person pov: Alien planet, alien race (main character not one of them) strange festival, everyone wearing masks, at midnight something with the masks is supposed to happen (?). Main character gets his mask taken off only to discover his face was the same as the mask or another mask? or something similarly weird.

My memory is awful, I know. :gonk:

Not 100% sure that story C was part of that same book, but pretty sure.
This was more than 10 years ago, and it being in a crappy library (and translated) means at least 14 years ago original publication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Interesting but don't ring a bell.

I loved this book so much. It's so frustrating, feeling so close to remembering, almost seeing the cover and title and author, but not quite getting there.

I always felt its an advantage that I forget details of books and movies in time, and get a high re'play' value later and then again, experience them in part as if it was the first time. But in this case..:suicide:

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Ah no thats not it, but thanks :) My story is indoors, the guy is a writer, and the whole thing has a sort of Edgar Alan Poe vibe to it. And the thing is not a box or anything similarly well defined, shaped, it was something small, like a ball of hair and dust or something.

Merope fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 2, 2010