Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Way back in 1999 or so I marked every book I had that I'd read with an X and from then on I've marked every book I read thusly. But now I've been noticing I apparently didn't do it for a while for a lot of paperbacks and it's really loving with me since several times now in the past year I've read a book half-way through or more and realized "oh poo poo I know how this is going to end" :negative:

I guess I should've done the old "tear out every page after reading" thing instead :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

and that's why you should keep an exhaustive spreadsheet of everything you've ever read and consult it each time you want to start a new book

the Xing is faster tho, yeah

I'm using a spreadsheet in the cloud now, didn't have one back in 1999 (I did keep a plain-text list but that went when the HDD imploded). Also the read books are in a specific part of a specific bookshelf...

Except the crime paperback series because they're in the living room arranged by series and number.

And the over-sized ones because they don't fit.

e: Reminds me of an old school-mate who heard I both X books I read and also initial them on the front leaf. He got really angry at me and after some heated back-and-forth it was revealed that he'd thought a) that I did it to library books and b) did it in ink. I have no idea why he thought those things.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I know what I want to read next but I hate breaking in the backs on new books so I just keep reading more-than-first-hand ones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

i have a memory

I have far more books than I have memory. I've also read more books in the past 37 years than I can remember.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

if you by "reboot", mean "purge all the horrible 1000 page harry potter-, sci-fi and fantasy-threads for good and never let them respawn", then yes, be my guest

I'm not against it but won't that leave something like three threads open?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

i think all novels should be written in script format like fanfictions were back in the day

Fauninninnia.

(It's a bad book by the by. Probably the only book I've ever regretted paying for.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My am I pathologically unable to read that one author's name as anything except China Melville?

e: Maybe this is a question for the goon doctor though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just BISed "China Melville" and it's a dude :eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

miéville you idiot. you troglodyte

Yeah but I just searched for "china melville" because I wanted to see if Bing would correct it. It did. Very good search engine, one of the very best. They should advertise it as "Bing - the reading man's search engine"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

it's ok, i had to google it because i couldn't remember how to do the accent mark thing

I don't remember outright but I'm guessing it's with the key marked ´, lemme try: Miéville. Yeah that's it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Picked up a fantasy novel and it was dedicated to Salman Rushdie and I don't know how to feel about that

Is Salman Rushdie bad now? I've only read The Jaguar Smile and it was OK.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quad posted:

6th grade reading level

What the gently caress is this poo poo anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

the only book that belongs in any workplace is the king james bible. i will pray for you

Actually the applicable work condition agreement has to be present and freely available at every workplace :finland:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fauna posted:

maybe in far west russia where you are, but in australia we are civilised englishpeople

Nice oxy moron.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is a question about books but not about literature, so sue me: some books - pocket books are the only one's where I've personally come across this but I don't know if it's exclusive - have a band of red ink on the bottom and top edges of the pages. Since it can hardly be for decorative purposes, I'm wondering why this would be done?

e: Also I can't believe how long I wasted recreating the phenomenon in Paint when I could've just snapped a picture with my phone :doh:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 3, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Marking it as overstock maybe?

Ohhh that makes sense. Thanks :tipshat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Where can I find a copy of Butt Smell for my Book Barn Secret Santee?

Call Bookstop and ask for it :newlol:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fell asleep on the bus yesterday while reading Borges. It was the translator's foreword that got me but mostly just being tired.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

How many winding roads did the bus take?

None, but all the forking paths.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried reading some of Stevenson's poems in bed last night (Underwoods) and struggled quite a bit. Now I know I'm dumb as hell but just to check I read some other Anglophone poetry from the same time period (thanks, Albatross Book of Living Verse I bought from the book fair twenty years ago) and most of it parsed fine to me without getting stuck. What the heck is up with that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also if something is not pertinent to the matter at hand, it "has no sexual signifigance". (Nowhere near as common in use as "comma-fucker" but always nice to hear in a serious work-meeting.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I shoulda read Borges when I were still a lad and remembered my Russell :(

(Or! I should re-read Russell!)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

one of my goals for 2020 is to read the man without quality

You may think I'm an open book
But you don't know which page to turn to

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Damon Suede". No way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm at my mum's place and ran out of book so I had to pick something from her library that I also have at home so I don't have to borrow one. I thought I might as well go for Waltari's "The Adventurer" as hey it's only 800 or so pages and I've had a copy since the early nineties.

Then when I pulled it out of the bookcase I LOLed out loud because it has loving Donald Trump on the cover:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/MikaelKarvajalka.jpg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selachian posted:

Apparently this rear end in a top hat also managed to piss off Chuck Tingle, which is quite an achievement.

One of these days in going to read me a Chuck Tingle. Or are they digital only?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to read books but I get so sleepy at night, and I keep buying more and make it just out of chapter 1.

Reading in bed is bad sleep hygiene anyway. Reading on the bog is just bad.

When's a guy to read? :( (I read on the bus and during breaks which works for me.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philthy posted:

I do most of my reading on my lunch breaks. It's the best stress relief ever, and it's something I always look forward to.

Badly handled updates and migrations that take hours on end are the best thing at work because I just sit there reading and sipping free coffee and if someone asks me to do something I'm just "yeah nah sorry computy no worky come back tomorrow" while getting paid.

This was how I finished Waltari's "The Adventurer" in less than a week last week.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can read any book one-handed because I'm strong.

But also because I open the spine properly before reading so that keeping the book open isn't much of a strain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lex Neville posted:

wait isn't skipping forwards and back for annotations way simpler on an ereader?

No.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Those are lovely editions anyway. If they weren't looking to save money they'd be two-parters to begin with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I say this knowing it's very silly:

I have a strong adverse reaction to ripped books and ripped cardboard. Its a weird texture thing, like how some people can't eat oranges cuz they hate the fruit's flesh. If a front cover falls off of my book, I throw it in the recycling bin. Can't stand it.

I tape it :unsmigghh: (I really should get library tape.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

That's even worse.

Unless it's some hard-to-find book, I'd throw it away. I have hundreds of others on my shelves, I can part with a worn out copy of whatever.

Nuh-uh - I'd rather throw my expired milks away!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanks for making me snortlaugh on the Hell Bus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tmi i know.. One time I read The Plague by Albert Camus and it scared me so i hope this virus thing doesn't take off.
I like how in the Plague this one character was going to write a book and spent the entirety of his time rewriting the same sentence over and over and trying to make it perfect.

Just found a copy of this behind a shelf the other day. And a lot of dead spiders. Maybe the book carries the plague?!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just found a copy of this behind a shelf the other day. And a lot of dead spiders. Maybe the book carries the plague?!?

Aptly enough just started reading this on the way to work, and also coughing a lot.
:ironicat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had forgotten how many of the illustrations in Van Gulik's judge Dee novels portray topless or nude young women. Also how many of the plots involve incest or hints thereof.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I suppose illustrations depend on the publisher, but I really only remember only one plot that involved incest, the one set in Canton.

The Necklace and the Calebash. Maybe it was just the two, they kind of blend togerher when you read four in a row :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never heard of Judge Dee. So it's classic detective books set in like Ancient China? Yea I like that concept. I'd really like to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Speaking of detective genre, I went through a phase of reading most all the Raymond Chandler books, and two Dashiell Hammet. Red Harvest was my favorite, the bloodiest goriest book I've ever read.

Right now I'm reading Redwall. It's a series I really liked at 10 years old, the first 'serious' series I ever got in to. I'm impressed with the big vocabulary, it' not dumbed-down or condescending like what I think of as being children's literature.

The Dee books are all very matter-of-fact but that makes them fast reads so if you feel like it give one a go.

I read Red Dawn as a kid and frankly don't remember anything about it apart from one character wearing a scarf? I guess I should re-read it but ars longa vita brevis.

Re: children's books, I just found my mum's copy of Watership Down and realized I've never read it. I guess the title "Ruohometsän kansa" (People/nation of Grass Forest) didn't make it tempting to child me.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://imgur.com/klywLOr