Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I haven't read it. It's got that The Lottery (Shriley Jackson) vibe, but it's obviously not it. The doorknob twist is pretty corny to me, but it might work pretty well in the text.

It would help if you say what year you read it first, 2010, 1995? Just for an upper limit on the publishing.

1999-2000, a photocopied version my English 8 teacher gave to us

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a thread here for the Aubrey-Maturin series?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mcustic posted:

Yes, a bit further down, inactive since March. Can't link it for you because I'm posting via the app at the moment.

Awesome, thanks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm thinking of designing (another) bookplate. A lot of bookplates appear to feature the owner of the books naked for some reason... why is that?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In Lord of the Flies, what is the deeper meaning as to why do dead things (plane fuselage, pilot, Simon, Piggy) leave almost as soon as they have died? Either the wind takes them or the waves do. Does it have to do with memory?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there some good books that have the same themes as Frankenstein? Internet suggested Do Androids Dream…, which I’ve read once when I was a teen, but I don’t remember if it really qualifies

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Responsibility in creating new life, irresponsible use of new technology, playing God

I know Jurassic Park is a homage but I don’t know if I could get away with using it- I want to give some options for my Senior English class next year

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Back for another BBC Radio Mystery Drama ID: a naked woman is found stuffed into the cabinet of a dentist. All I remember besides that detail is that a former lover of the accused dentist claims that his “style” would be to be naked as well, not clothed or something.

Anyone recognize it, it’s driving me nuts!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Has anyone ever read The Dark Island by Robert Barr? I’ve listened to the fantastic BBC Radio adaptation and have questions about it that I’m hoping the book could answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So I’m reading Jaws right now and I’m wondering what is up with the images Benchley is drawing between Hooper cumming weird, with his eyes fixed and unblinking with his jaw set (like a shark) and Brody peeing weird (the wife remarks how large his bladder is, calling back to the opening chapter where mentions that Great Whites don’t have a buoyancy bladder like other animals). Is the idea that Hooper is predating Brody’s home the same way that the shark is the community?.