Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Marc Laidlaw of Half Life fame wrote a couple of Fantasy books and they need to be more widely read, he made them temporarily free because he's apparently sold very few copies (like less than a hundred).

I read Underneath The Oversea and it's a very good, fun fantasy adventure, and I'm about to start the second book (which was written first? and happens before Oversea)

Cmon, you can't go wrong with this price, he's a great writer, and I loved that book, it's criminal that it hasn't become a bestseller. (I think it's the cover, too abstract maybe, but I promise this is fun). If you're into fantasy, give it a shot and leave it a review.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0914ZMHH9?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin&qid=1627176428&sr=8-1
(This link was taken straight from his twitter, I don't make anything off of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/marc_laidlaw/status/1424176878991011843

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Currently working on my short story about Myron, a young man who is obsessed with the indie films produced by a company called B25. After a disastrous week, Myron buys some glasses from a man who runs a mysterious new shop that has seemed to appear overnight. These glasses transport Myron into the world of several of B25's prominent films. However, Myron comes to learn that the wearing of the glasses carries with it a terrible price.

Is the terrible price that you become a huge cinema nerd? Because you can head to Cinema Discusso for character inspiration :v:

Good luck with your story, PM me if you want someone to read it :buddy:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I think I own enough books to start a small library... Does anyone know of an iOS App that keeps track of books you own, and maybe if you lend them to someone?

I thought about giving some away, but maybe it would be better to lend them, so people feel some pressure to actually read them, not just take them and hoard them. Like me

Also just curious, does anyone own Encyclopedias? Like the Britannica. What do you do with those once you've read them ? (if you've ever opened them). Keep them for background in photos where you need to look fancy ?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Anyone know good/entertaining book podcasts or YouTubes?

Like the DLC podcast but for books

I got into the Brandon Sanderson podcast and he’s interesting, surprisingly wide amount of subjects (including depression), but not exactly book focused

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

i set my goodreads to one (1) book a year so i get the confetti and the congratulations messages and other gameified rewards but also feel like i'm getting away with a minor computer crime, which feels good as well

Goodreads agent reading this: Captain, we found him! Dispatch GoodSWAT team now now now

I also failed the 100 books challenge lol, I can do it but I’d have to give up movies and video games, or internet browsing, so that’s a no

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thegreatestbooks.org/

1 . In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust <--- never heard of it
2 . Ulysses by James Joyce <---- tried reading it once, not for me
3 . Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes <---- OK valid this one can stay
4 . One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez <----- haven't read
5 . The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald <------ I will invent a time machine to go back to fitzgerald and stop him from writing this to save me from the most interminably boring high school semester (followed by preventing mark twain from writing huck finn. he may write everything else but not that one)

Great Gatsby is pretty good, just read it a couple years ago. Holds up well?

100 years of solitude fuckin sucks imo

The rest I haven’t read, but definitely heard about. probably essential books for “serious readers” whatever that means

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Remove Illiad, Poetry is not books

Oh I would usually agree 100% but I just got the Odyssey translated by Emily Wilson and I’m in love with the book, from the design to the binding to the font and of course the contents. It’s a triumph imo

She’s apparently been working on the Iliad for years and is now close to release, and I’m unreasonably hyped to read a thousands-years-old book

The odyssey audiobook on audible is really great too, read by Claire Danes and her voice is like a relaxing waterfall, great stuff

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Did anyone read the whole Wheel of Time? 14 books? :psyduck:

Was it worth it? I stopped at book 5-6 or so, when they were new and coming out. It just became too boring. But I heard it gets good again later, with Sanderson. Maybe I'll finish the story now, 20 years later.

Speaking of Sanderson, I finished Starsight, and what a letdown. I loved Skyward, one of my favorite books of that year, a great, fun adventure. Not perfect, but I thought it worked if you let some things slide. And I tried, but I just didn't believe the logistics of Starsight. So many nitpicks that took me out of the fantasy.

It went from decent, fun, young adult sci-fi to... like... Netflix anime-level with logic meant to move the plot along. JUST GO ALONG WITH IT OK, IT DOESN'T NEED TO MAKE SENSE. I'll ignore a lot for a story, I'm not a smart "find the plot holes" reader, yet I kept finding myself thinking "Nobody would react like that. No organization would let that happen. Perfect portable hologram disguise tech that nobody else in the universe owns, that's convenient."

He's not a bad writer, of course... I've only read those two books by Sanderson, so far seems like he's great at cliffhangers, ending chapters in a way that you want to read the next one RIGHT NOW, epic "I should've seen that coming, but it's awesome" moments, and action scenes in general. But the whole consistency of this universe just didn't convince me. I'd post more specific spoilers, but maybe it goes in the book review thread. Plus, I sort of enjoyed it anyway, some moments that I would've loved even more if they weren't surrounded by a bit of roll-eyes worldbuilding. I think it just needed a bit more polish, I don't expect like Iain Banks complexity here but just... a bit more realism in some parts.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Speaking of fast reading, I just sped through Gabriel Garcia Marquez "Erendira" book, it was super well written, such flowery language, and it only took me a few hours (short book, 160 pages including a few short stories). I thought it would take me much longer.

Now, the talent is undeniable, these are some wonderfully written sentences, perfect for magical realism.

But uhhhh how is this a respected classic, Erendira is 14. If you haven't read it, maybe look up the plot first lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.redcometpress.com/adult/101

Maybe you can still submit this one

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not gonna click anything with "adult" in it :thunk:

Probably a good way to go through life

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

So who is y'all's tip for this year's Nobel prize? I've seen some betting odds that seemed to claim the surefire bet is Murakami, which is a choice I'm honestly not a fan of.

Sheesh I read Norwegian Wood this year, what a depressing week

He’s a good writer for sure, just ahh make sure you’re in a good place, emotionally, when you start that one.

Oh I remember it also has an underage girl “seducing” an older person so.. bit of weirdness too, but probably normal for anime fans :dukedoge:

Edit: I forgot I came to mention that the Iliad translation by Emily Wilson is out, the audiobook preview sounds really great, reminds me a bit of the narration in Lord of the Rings :3:

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I randomly remember to seek updates on Gurrm and his unfinished book. Pretty funny at this point

https://www.nationalworld.com/cultu...es-book-4246753

Lol?

Along with Doors of Stone or whatever the Rothfuss book is

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

FPyat posted:

Google has become aggressively unwilling to pull up the Goodreads pages for books as results.

Google in general has become trash for searching. News seems to give me the worst articles first. I’ve switched to DuckDuckGo as my default, no regrets

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

:siren:

https://terrypratchett.com/news/a-stroke-of-the-pen-published/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bought a copy of Les Miserables, lol it’s so thick it looks like a loving cube, 1300 pages

I think I’m gonna give it away, this translation for some reason does not use full town names? Or is that faithful to the original. I skimmed a bit and it goes “and then so and so went to D….., and they stayed there” what the gently caress is that. I’d ran across this with Crime and Punishment before, “he walked the streets of K…..”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

I think that was just a writing convention of the era that was supposed to lend it more authenticity, like "oh dang, I bet author is referring to my town of Kenwich but can't say it outright due to legal reasons!"

I checked the Gutenberg project Les Mis and it does the same thing, so I'm guessing this is the intended, original experience :shrug: Not crazy about this decision, but it's a classic for a reason, I'll live.

I'm currently working on Yi Yun Li's "The Vagrants", it's really good, but a hard read. Themes of extreme poverty in totalitarian China in 1979. Some of these details, they seem taken from real life, describes really specific stuff. Not in a Stephen King "I'll think of hosed up poo poo and be entertaining about it" way, more like "This person either heard this first hand, or lived it".

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Last time I went shopping I saw a few copies of Ulysses, thumbed through a few pages and noped out

Looks interesting but one version has no notes and it seemed rambling, and the other version had notes practically for every sentence and sometimes multiple times in a sentence, so it was half page text and half page notes in tiniest font

Props to anyone who read that and actually enjoyed it

I might get to it one day, but it seems like it will be like decoding a personal geocities page on some esoteric subject back in the day, but for hundreds of pages

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

That was Joyce, Napoleon just preferred Josephine to not bathe for three days before he met her again and Franklin was a horndog and proponent of the paper bag theory.

Mozart wrote letters about poop too!

https://lettersofnote.com/2012/07/05/oh-my-rear end-burns-like-fire/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

I think what you're describing is going to be the new normal for many titles. The drawbacks and benefits of POD are the same for the big publishers as for self-publishers: the unit costs are much higher but they don't have to pay to store thousands of copies in warehouses, they don't print in the thousands to make it economical, and they don't have to eat the cost of the print run when they overprint.

The readability of the interior text is often a low priority for them.

this is awful. I was just thinking about the niceness of a well-printed book.

I really hope this doesn't catch on...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Not sure if right thread, but my iOS comic book app died at some point. Anyone know of a good CBR reader that still works on iOS 17?

I used ComicZeal and then that stopped working, switched to Chunky and it also died. So maybe it's me killing these apps

edit: I'm wondering if the dev actually died, because their last update was on 2020 and it was pretty regular before that :ohdear:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

101 posted:

Panels is great and actively developed/maintained.

I hope the ComicZeal dev/devs are alright. I used to love that app.

Panels looks neat, cheers fellow goon :cheers:

To clarify, the Chunky app is the one that stopped updating in 2020, not sure when ComicZeal stopped working but it must've been earlier than that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/doom-guy-john-romero/1140973076

The John Romero biography is really good so far, I'm in the first few chapters. First chapter is :catstare:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIW5jBrrsS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIW5jBrrsS0

Pretty neat video, but he goes into some beautiful libraries. Belgium might be worth visiting for those!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I fukn love books

wonder how expensive it would be to start a bookstore ? I could be working and reading all day :allears:

I regret buying so many ebooks these past few years instead of physical copies. Not life-regret, just a little regret, because to be fair reading in the dark is great, e-readers have their advantages. I skipped BluRays and went all digital and it was the right choice, and I figured I'd do the same when the Kindles came out.

But some physical copies have wonderful design lately, they really invite you to read. Bought Norse Mythology by Gaiman and it's a gorgeous design, black and gold :love: Also bought Mythos by Stephen Fry, based on the cover design, and the definitive Anne Frank diary edition in some wonderful shade of yellow. Ivory and Bone bought too, no idea what it is, but it was on sale, and the cover was very nice. I think I would've enjoyed Infinite Jest a lot more in a physical version. Oh, and the new Odyssey translations, just gorgeous design all around.

It doesn't really capture the shininess and niceness tbh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Look at how hosed the spine of Monte Cristo is from one reading of it compared to the Mann collection which is decades older. Look at how much better the hardcover of An Evil Guest has held up compared to the paperback. A book should last centuries, ain't no paperback gonna be doing that without help.

Yeah this is correct, if you want a book to last decades, get the hardcover :shrug: the dust jackets are expendable

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Got my Goodreads end of year summary, I’m in the top 25% of readers :sun:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

i went in hard on goodreads for some reason & set a challenge and then kept doubling it until year's end and then i burnt out completely and now i just read stuff but i still have an urge to track what i read & when i did so (it pisses me off when some cloud sync destroys my ebook "finished reading" dates, as if anyone cares incl me)

and i had that urge before. it was always there & it was why i signed up, but now i also hate the thought of tracking what i read, while still wanting to do it "for posterity"? i dont think i actually care, but its still there

such is life, bon courage

I mark goodreads when I can and I’m pretty diligent about it, but I also keep a Numbers spreadsheet, because autism I guess

Both are fun to me, but if it causes you any hassle definitely let it go imo :cheers:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Today's drama: if you consume audiobooks, are you still considered to be "reading" the book?

This spawned from a TikTok creator who said "I read 40 books last year. I have a bit of a commute and work a lot, so half of those were audiobooks." To which, a bunch of people got huffy and stitched the TikTok and said "SO YOU ONLY READ 20 BOOKS."

I mean, reading is interpreting written symbols or whatever the dictionary says, as opposed to listening. You don't read a podcast either :goonsay:

I don't think one is inherently more "respectable", for me it's easier to read than to listen to an audiobook. I get lost/distracted too easily in audio, have to go back if I miss something, etc. I would love to listen to more audiobooks but I just miss too much.

It probably engages different parts of your brain too, definitely a different activity. I do enjoy listening to the audiobook version if I've read the book.

that said, I have a really hard time caring about whether you read or listened to it tho, you do you

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Forcing u all to absorb and experience my bad posts :smugdog:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Reading Stephen King's THE OUTSIDER, and he gives a big shout-out to Harlan Coben (??). A character is a big fan, and says he's great etc etc.

I don't know if that's the highest honour one could receive in modern literature but it's close

Anyone read that guy? Apparently he's very famous and had a bunch of his stories adapted for Netflix. Is he any good, which one of his books should I read?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

rollick posted:

The Outsider is funny because it really tries to sell you at the start that it's this big locked room mystery story...but it's a Stephen King novel, so you already know the solution is some supernatural gremlin dude and won't be remotely satisfying.

I’m about 30% in but that was my first guess just from the synopsis. I don’t mind tbh, he’s drat good at keeping you entertained. Easy to read and fun dialogue, nothing too deep or life changing

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Randomly found some Infinite Jest fan art (!)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YBoLwY

Pretty cool tbh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

The audiobook for Antkind was very good and honestly probably the best way to experience that book. If it wasn't an audiobook I probably would have tapped out during the pages and pages and pages about the war between Donald Trunk and Slammy's in a cave

Ah I just bought Antkind! I guess I’m a Charlie Kaufman fan, checked his IMDb and every movie he’s written has been special for me, decided to buy it. How’s the book anyway?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

eightysixed posted:

Dang, I guess I'll be stuck with Calibre 6.29.0 until I feel like shelling out thousands on a MacBook Air that will update past Monterey :saddowns:

hah, yeah I had the same problem, don't buy it now though, it's due for a refresh with their new processors (the 13" version)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I didn’t see one in any pinned OP, but is there a website for no-frills browsing through titles and summaries by genre? Amazon and Apple Books and B&N are all fine, but I feel like I have to do a lot of fruitless digging to get past best sellers, new releases and promoted books before it starts showing me something that’s not also on the front page.

Or maybe tell me how you browse those stores and found some hidden gems.

Goodreads?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

cumpantry posted:

i sure wish Goodreads was as hard on scores as a community like Rateyourmusic is. seriously there's something hosed up and evil in a world where Ready Player One holds a 4.2

at least on RYM if an album's over a 4, it's likely good. meanwhile i don't know what the hell to think of a book's score on Goodread

This is the will of the people and you will respect it

But it's pretty easy to find someone who likes the same books you do and follow them, and check out their recommendations.

I quite like Goodreads, it's just so freakin slow sometimes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

lifg posted:

* - Better known for other work.

Painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Started reading Chain Gang All Stars because, not knowing anything about it, I thought it was some serious, poignant novel about black life in the gang world or something

It’s not that, but uhhh I’m pleasantly surprised because it owns, lots of action

One or those books where I seemed to notice it everywhere and once I saw it in person I had to get a copy, marketing works