Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i swear this forum had a thread for posting about books that suck but i lost or hid it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

oh.. this is it! thanks, lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

audiobooks are kinda cool in a sitting around the fire listening to an orator regale you and the tribe kinda way, but i still can't deal. i like to re-read passages too much--and maybe you should be paying more attention to the road than your critical analysis imo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i sure wish Goodreads was as hard on scores as a community like Rateyourmusic is. seriously there's something hosed up and evil in a world where Ready Player One holds a 4.2

at least on RYM if an album's over a 4, it's likely good. meanwhile i don't know what the hell to think of a book's score on Goodread

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

branedotorg posted:

if you see a book below 4-4.2 on goodreads, it's going to be bad, no matter how many geocities era animated gifs you see in the reviews.

The Man Who Was Thursday is a 3.83, Frankenstein a 3.86 and even Kafka's Metamorphosis's the same

that's not right

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Story time - There's a guy in my office that has been reading Lord of the Rings. He's never read Tolkien before and, even more baffling, he has never seen the LotR films.

It is wild to chat with someone who has zero clue about even the most general LotR plot points from just cultural osmosis.

He's currently on The Two Towers and today he came up to me with wide eyes and just said "Gandalf is alive!!!"

did he read the hobbit first?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well seeing as how it began as the bedtime stories he told his children

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

how many chapters did you even read?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

just lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

WHOA mentions of SA :wth:

we made it!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i think we'll be ok in spite of online dumbasses

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

they should save book backs for trope reveals

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mrenda posted:

Even more than this, writing serials, I find readers, some of them at least, are incredibly unwilling to go with the flow of a book or story. They want specific things from every chapter, even if the story demands other things. Once something doesn't deliver immediately, and hit precise expectations, they get pissy. Any ideas of setting things up long term, or showing something that's intended to be dealt with later, as a foundational aspect, is hotly rejected. That something might be unclear, for a little, is a sign to abandon something.

Even if you've built up goodwill people want a constant drive. And if it was even a demand for a constant drive that'd be one thing, it's more a demand for every need and whim to be satisified.

I think that goes back to your idea of "trope obsession." Readers being extremely uncharitable and not wanting any challenge. I feel like it's a particular problem highlighted with posting chapters and parts of serials every few days or once a week or so.

you arent a very good writer based on post history so im siding with the readers here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

yea im on the lookout for a kobo myself