Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Which one of you recommended the novel Wanderers by Chuck Wendig? I know for a fact it was someone on this message board who told me to read it. I'm 9% of the way through and this is just terrible. I paid money for this book! I mean I'm still going to read the whole thing, I just want to warn people away from it.

How bad? The premise sounds close Stephen King's The Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That post was based on 9% of a very long book and let me tell you, it got a lot better. Some interesting twists and turns, some fun ideas. However, there was far too much cliche nonsense. Some of the characters were complete caricatures. I wouldn't recommend it and I rather wish I hadn't read/paid money for it.

It actually got better but still ended up ducking? That's a shame. That book is a hefty time investment.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Is there a thread for indie bookstores to buy books from? I'd want to wean myself off of Amazon but they are just a big and known seller of books.

Try bookshop.org

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Xanderkish posted:

So I recently found out, to my shock, that the Unabomber's manifesto, Industrial Society and its Future, is apparently something that non-fringe people read and discuss.

For the nutjobs, the bible comes first; this is a close second. And, they take "Uncle Ted's" word as gospel.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

roomtone posted:

Read Normal People by Sally Rooney yesterday.
Consider watching the show. I've seen countless takes that, in a rare occurrence, the adaption enhances the book greatly.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

BigRed0427 posted:

I downloaded a free audiobook and added it to my Spotify account.

Why use Spotify when there are better audiobook players out there?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

What are they, incidentally?

For iOS:

MP3AudiobookPlayer (the paid version is worth it)

BookPlayer (free)

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Proust Malone posted:

is there a good way to get zlib epub books onto a kindle?

Calibre helps you do this.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Annath posted:

Is there some software that is completely identical to Calibre

If there was a program that is identical or better than Calibre, we'd all be using it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a Letterboxd but for books? (Well other than this forum) It’d be cool to see all the books I’ve finished in a year and be able to review them.

pre:
books.txt

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

eightysixed posted:

Just curious, what is books.txt and why is it made in NotePad?

Some benefits: It's available offline, you can format it however you want, you own the data, absolutely no tracking, no one needs to know you read the entirety of A Crown of Thorns and Roses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I always wonder about why they "annotate" their books so much.

To satisfy a compulsion.