Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Npr, sunday book review, and publishers weekly all don't have any scoring system at all.

well publishers weekly just has something called a "starred review" which means they think the book is particularly good or they need to promote it for some political reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure starred reviews are a bad thing when it's a reputable source. People get to know certain reviewers likes and dislikes and sometimes a quick glance at what that person thought about it without having to read a wall of text is what you want. The problem is when dobbyfan2002's rating holds as much weight as an English literature Professor.

It doesn't, though. Few readers are going to give any individual customer review the same weight as a published review by a professional book critic - however they may give that much weight to the aggregate score of all the customer reviews, of which dobbyfan2002's score will make up only a percentage.. depending of course on how well known the book is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Based on Goodread's Best of 2015 awards I'm guessing that their entire active user base is made of the sort of middle aged suburban white women who watch a lot of morning talk shows and are convinced that they are allergic to both gluten and msg.

actually, that is a description of the average American book consumer. Goodreads skews slightly younger.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I don't know how some people manage to turn a computer on tbh. The sheer quantity of drama fallout from goodreads changing the navigation bar at the top and shifting some of the options round today has been staggering. It's not exactly shocking that all the whining is coming from people over 50. There are also a fair few people who are utterly convinced that the site is now "too white" and it is giving them headaches - a number of them hold the unshakable belief that the site has turned the brightness up on their monitor. They are DEMANDING! DEMANDING, I SAY, that it is put back to how it was before.

I used to manage a lot of the online community / review sections of the B&N.com website and this sort of thing is routine. We once did a very slight redesign, and in spite of the fact that there was absolutely no change to the font size or style as part of the redesign, a faction of the old&loud contingent were OUTRAGED about the "new font size" and demanding that we make the font bigger in addition to reversing all of the other changes. Some of these people would write several page long hand-written letters to the CEO of Barnes&Noble about this stuff, which would inevitably make their way to my desk months after whatever change they were whining about had gone through.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The best about this is that the font size can be manually adjusted by just holding alt and spinning the mouse wheel

AND NOW I HAVE TO BUY A "MOUSE WHEEL" TO USE THIS WEB-SITE. I GOOGLED THE "MOUSE WHEEL" AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF MOUSE!! YOU SHOULD NOT ASK YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO BUY A NEW MOUSE AND WE ARE DEMANDING AGAIN THAT YOU CHANGE THE FONT SIZE BACK TO BEING READABLE. I AM GOING TO RETURN THE BOOK I GAVE TO MY DAUGHTER WHICH I LOYALLY PURCHASED AT YOUR STORE IN APRIL OF 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Anyone actually know someone who is an active Goodreads user? It seems like an unrewarding chore to constantly be adding titles and reviews to your page.

I am semi-active in that I upload a batch of titles every couple months or so, mostly just to keep track of what I've read and when and maybe get a couple recommendations.