Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Pretty much this:

And nerds like stuff like grrm.

You selectively cut the most important part of Grum's post

Grum posted:

with terrible taste

I like talking about nerd books but even there tbb falls short, threads that aren't about grrm or a couple other hugely-popular series die quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

This isnt entirely the right thread for this but I didnt feel confident, or see a big enough demand, in starting a new one just for this.

I've recently started buying books and setting aside the time to read them and I'm on the lookout for new authors. I remember one sci-fi author that was recommended in a sci-fi thread here long ago, it was an "Asian" sounding name which I think was in the format of "A.A. Aaaaaaa" although I could be wrong. He had written a series, possibly hard sci-fi, everybody was raving about how awesome it was. At the time I even went into a local bookstore and asked for it by name but I cant for the life of me remember it or the books title and its driving me up the wall.

name like that has to be A. A. Attanasio

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Chinaski posted:

How well has Snow Crash aged?

Not at all.

fritz fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2010

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

Is there a specific thread in The Book Barn where I can post for help finding a book I once read, or do I start a new thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Darth Ronson posted:

Is there a thread that's an equivalent to GBS's post the film you can't remember the name of thread? There's a short story in a horror book I read a while ago and I can't remember where the hell I read it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ABFA00 posted:

The only other story I remember was about a guy who escaped being executed, but then it turns out it was a dream and actually the execution went through just fine.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I sort all my books by date of purchase or other acquisition (marked discretely in pencil inside the front cover of course). This obviously presents a problem with things like amazon orders, so I number them in the order I take them out of the box. Book sales are more difficult but I've gotten pretty good about remembering what order I pick things up in.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Benagain posted:

Looking for the author of a series of short stories about two con men in a weird future, one of whom is a talking dog-man. Can't remember the name or anything about it other than that but the stories were good enough that anyone who's read them should be able to recognize that instantly.

Wild guess the Darger-and-Surplus stories by Michael Swanwick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

Could anyone recommend a good book on Greek deities (and perhaps their respective cults)? Alternatively, something that digs into the the theological beliefs of lesser-known religions - say, for example early Mesopotamian religious beliefs?

This is a really good book: http://www.amazon.com/Marriage-Cadmus-Harmony-Roberto-Calasso/dp/0679733485
but might not be 100% what you're after (read it anyway).