Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

jmaze posted:

What do you guys use it for?

I'm basically using it as a reading journal, but it's fun to see and comment on what other people are reading too.

http://www.goodreads.com/daveski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

This isnt entirely the right thread for this but I didnt feel confident, or see a big enough demand, in starting a new one just for this.

I've recently started buying books and setting aside the time to read them and I'm on the lookout for new authors. I remember one sci-fi author that was recommended in a sci-fi thread here long ago, it was an "Asian" sounding name which I think was in the format of "A.A. Aaaaaaa" although I could be wrong. He had written a series, possibly hard sci-fi, everybody was raving about how awesome it was. At the time I even went into a local bookstore and asked for it by name but I cant for the life of me remember it or the books title and its driving me up the wall.

Your description is pretty vague, but are you possibly talking about the Mars series (Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson? I guess Kim is sorta Asian sounding although he's not Asian as far as I know.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

I dont remember anything of the names, just the format I think was two initials then a surname, although I may be wrong and it was a three name affair.

All I can think of now is R.B. BAPPERCHAPS from that sci-fi book photoshop thread.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

FakeHipster posted:

I'm about 75 pages into Gravitys Rainbow, and I have no loving clue what is going on. How many drugs was Pynchon on? I read Against the Day, but at least that book had a semi coherent plot.

Definitely stick with it, it becomes much easier to read after the first section. There really is a plot in there, I swear.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I love Pale Fire. Make sure you read the whole thing, including the index - it's part of the book. Also, if you get the Everyman's Library version, pay attention to their warning and skip the introduction until you've finished the rest of the book.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I'm reading them right now too and was planning on splitting them up, but I enjoyed the first one so much that I dove right into the second, and will probably do the same for the third.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Nice, I didn't realize she had a new book coming. I pre-ordered it because I'll probably forget about it and it'll be a nice surprise when it comes in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
A lot of people in the "52 books this year" thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377849) use Goodreads, so check in there.