Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I've been excited about the book.. but then I read this:

http://jezebel.com/be-suspicious-of-the-new-harper-lee-novel-1683488258

I've read other criticisms online about her basically being senile and signing whatever gets put in front of her. I really hope this isn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I thought this article was cool

http://medievalbooks.nl/2015/03/27/dirty-medieval-books/

It shows some of the stuff that ends up in old books. My favorite is definitely the cat paw marks.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Kvlt! posted:

Couldn't find a better thread to post this in, thought I'd ask around.

I'm looking for the name of a book that an old friend of mine (who I can't contact and ask anymore) was reading that I read the first few chapters of. It was very well written, about basically this overweight neckbeard fat disgusting dude. It was written very complexly, sophisticated maybe is the word? I remember there being a scene where he goes out to a mall or supermarket or maybe clothes shopping in the first few chapters? Sorry I don't have much to go on.
A Confederacy of Dunces?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Depressing, but interesting read about Harper Lee.

What Does Harper Lee Want?
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-harper-lee-go-set-a-watchman/

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Anybody know good online spots for listing and selling books? Already got them in SA-Mart, and I've done a few local buy/sell Facebook groups without much success. Wondering if there are any big book selling groups that I haven't been able to find on Facebook.

Because of time, I can't afford to list these individually on eBay. And the topics/genre are a little broad to do "lots of" on eBay.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

The Grey posted:

Have you tried half.com? It's owned by ebay and you'll have to list them individually, but it's pretty easy to setup and unlike ebay, the listings just stay out there until they are sold.
Thanks for the suggestion. I remember using half.com back in college to sell all of my textbooks. It was pretty nice.

I'm moving in less than a month, so trying to just get rid of books in larger quantities now. I've had some success in SA-Mart, but that's pretty much it. Nobody at all has followed through on Facebook for books.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Franchescanado posted:

Tim and Eric's latest book Tim and Eric's Zone Theory: 7 Easy Steps to Achieve a Perfect Life is getting some fantastic reviews on Amazon. You should take a minute to read through a few.
Ha, those editorial reviews are fantastic.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I once ordered a pizza online where they hadn't put a limit on any of the extras, one of them just being "slice it please" (which cost nothing) so i ordered it sliced like 23 times or something like that but it was still only sliced like a regular and the delivery guy was annoyed cause it took a lot of their thermal paper to print out my dumb order.
I'd throw a fit if I were paying for a pizza that I wanted sliced 23 times, and didn't get exactly that. What happened to the customer is always right? :mad:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

How do you guys decide what books to cull when you need to?

I have like 7-800 books now and it's getting loving ridiculous. Especially as I just moved in with my boyfriend who has at least half that himself.

I can get rid of crappy paperback novels and get the kindle edition, but my hoarder instinct kicks in for anything I bought in hardcover or spent more than $10 on in the last few years.
I just went through this process, since I was moving overseas. First, I added all of my books into LibraryThing.com so that I can always remember what books I'd owned.

Something that made it easier was finding good homes for the books that I really liked (but didn't need to keep). I gave lots of books to family, and a few friends. Only when I knew that they'd appreciate it, and if I thought they'd enjoy it. I enjoyed doing this.

Another thing that helped me to detach was to remind myself that I could easily purchase a copy of the book again the future if and when I decide I want to read it again. It's hard to do this when you're attached to your books, but ultimately it's true with most. I kept some books that I know I couldn't repurchase, some old books that have sentimental value, and some things that are harder to get (for me, treasure hunting books). I was able to cull my collection from over 400 books to less than 50, that fit in the space of a small Uhaul box, and a shoebox.

I was able to sell some in the forums here, to recover a bit of money. But I ended up donating a bunch to the library.

Now that that whole painful process is over with, I'm very happy that I did it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really need to find more time and motivation to read books, but for the last couple of years my reading has been dwindling a lot – far more than I’d like. I used to read easily a couple of books a week, and that predictably enough dropped off a few years ago when I started my law degree and got a semi-healthy social life, but now I’m working 9-5 in a reasonably challenging job, and I feel like when I get home I just never find the time or the concentration to read as much as I want. When I do feel like reading I’ll sit down and plow through a book in one sitting, but most of the time even a relatively unchallenging read (North and South, recently) takes like a month, and I don’t know why. If you'd told me a few years ago that by 2015 I'd be reading a maximum of 10-12 books a year I'd be horrified. I know the answer here is to just set aside an hour or so a night as reading time, but I’ve never been good at that sort of thing. This is stupid and kind of pathetic when I type it out, just wondering if anyone’s done the same thing and how they got their reading back on track.
I had this happen after my daughter was born a few years ago. It got me off track.

Something that helped me was just getting off my computer before I'm completely exhausted and ready to crash. So 30-60 minutes before I'd usually crash, I'll head to bed, and I've got some energy to do some reading. Make sure you've got things set up.. charged ebook reader, or lamp and book already by your bed, so you don't get distracted.

Then make sure your phone/tablet/laptop is not within reach when you start to read so that you aren't tempted to check it. I always put my phone on mute at night, so I'd do that so you don't hear any notifications while you read.

Also, pick something that you're really excited about reading. Don't pick something that is sort of a chore, or it'll be easy to keep putting it off.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Pound_Coin posted:

Can anyone remember the title of a book that came out in 2014? I believe around the same time as the Goldfinch, it was about a family history told around small porcelain figures passed through the family? it had I think a white rabbit on the cover and it's driving me crazy not being able to remember the title.
The Hare with the Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I gave up on Infinite Jest a few years ago. I'll try again it again, when it's available as a brain implant, or a suppository.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

boom boom boom posted:

20% off day at the HPB got some good stuff for, like, ten bucks

The Running Man is good. Not as good as The Long Walk, but still really good.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

gwaarrk posted:

I just finished reading Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it was a pretty good creepy horror book, but in the epilogue he says that he changed stuff for the american version including the ending. And so far I can not find the original dutch ending online, does anyone have a link to it or could just spoil it for me?
I just finished HEX, and I need to know. :mad:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and really, really liked it. It does have a lot of Spanish though. I remember thinking that if I weren't fluent in Spanish, I wouldn't be enjoying it as much.

There is an awesome resource that I discovered, after reading the book.

http://www.annotated-oscar-wao.com/

It has explanations of all of the references that get used, including all the Spanish terms.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
My personal favorite of Grisham is The Rainmaker, but The Client and A Time to Kill are good, and probably his most popular. The Firm and The Runaway Jury were fun reads. Growing up, I don't think there were any that I really didn't like, except for The Chamber.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

zeldadude posted:

Hey guys, quick question, my girlfriend is trying to order the Discworld series and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best place to order them new. She's been able to find them separately on different websites but wasn't sure if there was one place she could get all of them for cheaper. Cheers :)

Edit: never mind, found them! Thanks anyways!
So what's the best place?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Bongo Bill posted:

Who is a whiz at finding rare books at reasonable prices? I am looking for Pharaoh by Boleslaw Prus, in particular the Christopher Kasparek translation (not the old public-domain Jeremiah Curtin one, which I dislike), but I don't see it anywhere for less than ninety-two dollars.
Not seeing anything cheap out there. I'd set up notifications from abebooks.com, and eBay. Someone might put up a copy at some point. You could get a good deal on it that way... someday.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
The top of the page also says it is out of stock. Really not clear..

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I used to like reading about serial killers, etc. But just finished Confession of a Serial Killer: The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer. I was familiar with the guy, knew he was really bad. But dang, he was way more hosed up and conniving then I had thought. He also had a ton of targets that thankfully never panned out. I think I'm done with books about serial killers.

I've read a few books since, but still can't get Dennis Rader out of my mind.

The book is very good, if you're interested in serial killers and/or Dennis Rader. I've decided that I'm not.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Franchescanado posted:

For those that enjoyed Wolf In White Van, Darnielle has a new novel coming out in four months called Universal Harvester, and it sounds more like a horror novel.
Sounds cool. I really enjoyed Wolf in White Van. Although now I'm annoyed about having to wait until February. :mad:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
My TBB secret santa experiences were generally mediocre. Especially the year when I got a $15 Amazon GC. I don't know why someone would even join a Secret Santa, and send a gift card that was even less than the gift value was supposed to be.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

WickedHate posted:

I've been feeling really bad recently. There are so, so many books I want to read, but I have trouble getting through a short story I really wanna. If I could I'd do nothing but read until the heat death of the universe, but right now I'm paralyzed with choice. I'm not asking for recommendations; I already know what I want to read, but how can I pick one over the other? It's distressing.

So instead I've been rereading a book I already read, which, I know, isn't exactly helping, but it's less daunting. The Screwtape Letters is one of my all time favorites and I'm not even Christian. I want to write a fan sequel concerning recent world news and I may actually do it.
Grab any book, and just agree that you'll read 2 chapters, and if it sucks, you'll find something else. You'll either be hooked, or move on to another book. It'll get easier once you get back into constant reading.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

ravenkult posted:

Is there a historical non-fiction thread somewhere?
Yep!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458502

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Is there a dedicated thread for magazines? Specifically the longer sort that only come out a handful of times a year? Wasn't able to find one, but I figured this is the right subforum.

Actually, hell, I might as well ask what I was going to ask that thread anyway: Anybody read Current Affairs magazine (https://www.currentaffairs.org)? Is it any good? I've quite liked a lot of the articles I've read that are on their site and as I understand it a huge amount of their content is only available in the magazine itself. I'm considering a subscription, but the cost is $60 for just a year which basically twice the price I've seen for any comparable magazine in that niche, and that makes me rather hesitant.
Anybody recommend it? Or ideally know where I might be able to get a back issue or two to see for myself? Done some searching around and have only been able to find subscriptions or copies of a British magazine of the same name that went defunct sometime in the 60's-70's.
Any college libraries around you? Maybe they've got copies of it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Joe Eszterhas' Facebook page just shared this image.

I'm amazed that Joe got an advance of 300k for website content. I would have enjoyed reading more Hollywood dirt from him. Too bad it didn't pan out.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I've always assumed that getting a copy of The Turner Diaries will get you put on a watchlist.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
While in college, I worked at the library, in the Fine Arts department. We shared the floor with the Health department.

Our floor's bathroom shared books from both departments, that were recovered from the bathroom stalls. People liked jerking off to the fine arts (nude photography), and using the health books to ID whatever latest STD they had picked up.

Those books were probably too dangerous to handle. Thankfully, students workers never had to deal with those books directly. Although who knows how many books I handled where a patron had taken it to the bathroom, and then left it outside of the bathroom for us to pick up.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

xwing posted:

Is there any antiquarian chat around here? I'm an Architect with a healthy love of "how it used to be done" and how we were builders as well. So I have a few older editions of books and ultimately would like to have some firsts, but aside from googling I haven't had much luck even finding anything to know what ballpark of cost I'd be playing in to get a first edition/printing copy of the ones I'm interested in.
I haven't used them in years, but abebooks.com is used by a lot of booksellers to sell their books, and often you'll find rare/first/autographed copies. I'd use this to get an idea on the prices. It doesn't mean that you won't find a much better price somewhere else. But you could use it to do some research, and then know when you should jump on something on eBay or elsewhere.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

xwing posted:

g for are:

1)Architectural Graphic Standards. I have a 3rd edition. The problem is that Wiley that own the Architectural world for books and magazines did a reproduction. I've never seen a legit 1st edition in my searches... same with a 2nd edition.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?fe=on&kn=1st&sortby=17&tn=architectural+graphic+standards

There appear to be 2 first editions from 1932. $850 and $1,025

quote:

2)Kidder's Architects' and Builder' Handbook. I got a deal at a book sale for a few dollars for a 17th edition. It's older than the copy my office had from our original firm partner. But good Lord 17th and it was printed in the 20's? Where's edition 1-16? I haven't seen anything older.
Not seeing old copies of this on AbeBooks.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
A lot of unknowledgeable sellers use Amazon to sell books because it's easy/convenient. If you find something that might be good, it is worth following up with them, just in case. There is trash, and there are scams, but there are also deals because many sellers don't always know what they're selling, they just know that it had some resell value when they picked it up cheap at a yard sale, or thrift store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure I'm smart enough for this... I'm missing out on a lot .... I don't know who guys.. are ... I get confused
This was my experience reading Cryptonomicon.

I thought Snow Crash, and Reamde were a lot easier. Haven't really felt like reading more Stephenson.