Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Where do you guys read book reviews? :3:

Looking for something that would have a large mix of new/old books (that isn't just Amazon user reviews).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

The worst is when the book you have to buy is written by your own professor.

Then when they leave for a new job, the book has no resale value because they're the only people who set that book :(

My school has a computer class cowritten by the professor with tear-out homework assignments. You also need the original code in the back of the book to do assignments online.

This is a freshman computer class thousands of people take every semester because it counts as a science/math requirement for pretty much every major.

The guy is fuckin' loaded I bet.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Viconia posted:

An E/N on books... I wonder how an E/N thread would work here relating to books. Someone make a thread and let's see how it goes!

"I read the whole Twilight series and I keep dropping hints to my man that he should be more like Edward. He just doesn't understand! I need man who is possessive, threatening, dangerous, and literally not a human! Please help, I might kill myself!!!!"

God please no...

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

knees of putty posted:

I would advise reading Atwood or Chabon or PD James type take on the genre, unless you're determined to go for some space opera type schtick. It's far more rewarding then revisiting Snow Crash, which was horribly flawed when it first came out, never mind now.

How so? I just read it for the first time barely three months ago and nothing about was any less "rewarding" than the last Atwood or Chabon novel I read. There's twenty pages about Sumeria, but it's hardly a slog and aside from that the whole thing is extremely well put together.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

maxnmona posted:

Lick around the Outside of my Anus and also on the Inside of my Anus by Nietzsche

I can't find this on Amazon or AbeBooks. :argh:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Okay guys, pick the order I read the rest of summer reading please. I'll be finishing up A Clash of Kings and From the Left Hand of Darkness this week.

Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
Carrie - Stephen King
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Perdido Street Station - China Miéville
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

I feel like that's a solid amount to finish in the next month and a half before school. DECIDE MY FATE: what's first?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Oh gently caress it, I'll just skip to reading New Moon and Atlas Shrugged. Was saving 'em for when I kill myself, but...

(thanks, going with Kesey first)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
What should my next Nabokov be after Lolita?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Aw gently caress, Barnes & Noble didn't have a copy of Pale Fire so I'm going to just get it off Amazon. Thanks!

Cool Mathlete, gonna check it out. :)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
The new Gibson books drops in a couple weeks. Should I try and blast through Pattern Recognition and Spook Country til then?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
The gently caress is a squiz?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I still cannot believe the "The Beatles, but ZOMBIES! :haw:" book was published.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
The irony... it kills me! :negative:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

How about mentally unbalanced poets?

So like, all of em? :viggo:

You'd have to include Plath, possibly just The Collected Poems or The Colossus and Other Poems... something by her.

A lot of Poe's stuff is easy to get for free, but I don't actually know if he was mentally unbalanced or just his work.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
"He hosed all the gas out of her."

I like this terrible F/SF theme you've got going on. I vote for a pointless recent movie novelization, like "Iron Man" by Eisner Award winner Peter David.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Something by Alan Dean Foster is a must. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen or Terminator Salvation would probably be good (terrible) picks.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Don't forget the novelization of the screenplay of the movie of the epic Beowulf.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've still got to read Storm of Swords, but I was reading about how GRRM's A Dance With Dragons and Feast For Crows will intersect a lot. Should I expect some fan to compile a "proper" chapter order, splicing together both books? I'm assuming the answer is "yes, about 24 hours after ADWD hits the shelves," but I wanted to make sure.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I used to go to Barnes & Noble to read some books I wanted to pick up, and choose the one I felt I needed the most. I would usually sit behind the romance section because it was a little nook with tables hidden away from the main thoroughfare. Often, a large, older woman with hair like a grey, wispy shower cap and wearing a paisley dress that fit her girthy form a little too tightly would come lumbering over to the romance section from a table across from me, holding what looked like receipt tape, and eyeing various titles in the romance section, carefully checking off items on her long lists. She would come back to her table, which was otherwise empty except for a large Polar Pop mug, with these huge armfulls of romance paperbacks and stack them up until she evidently had what she needed before lumbering away, out of sight. I like to imagine she just placed them all around the store like she was part of a conspiracy, and then left the store with nothing but her list and her giant Polar Pop mug. I saw her consistently for about six months, but I haven't been back to B&N recently.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
That sounds like the best addiction ever. I love reading, but I also love film and music and video games, so sometimes those things distract me from my 700 strong collection of books.

I'm curious though, how do you get the books? Do you go to the library or buy them used or what? :allears:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've recently found that the fewer books I'm reading, the slower I get through them - and not in a "I'm trying to get the most out of this book as possible" kind of way, but such a way that I actually get bored only reading one thing so my mind wanders while I read. For me, it's best to keep 3-4 books on my night stand that I can switch between night after night. This also helps me get through huge short story collections, if I can read a story and then a few chapters from an novel or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I'd like to own a Kindle, but don't necessarily need one right now. Should I just wait to see what the next iteration adds? Or is the Kindle Touch pretty much all I need when it comes to e-book reading?