Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

LooseChanj posted:

I think it only appears that way. What people are going to discuss on an internet forum they use for recreation is going to give a skewed impression, because who the hell wants to talk about the poo poo they read in lit class when they get home?

many readers of literature do so outside of an institutional setting in which they are forced to read good writing in exchange for a paper they believe will get them money and social standing. many of these readers have even graduated from college and are no longer in any sort of academic institution at all (I went to college.).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Lolita is one of the classic American roadtrip novels.

Since you like Bryson anyway, and you're passing through Des Moines, you might try his relatively recent memoir about his childhood there. It's not as funny as his travel stuff, but I liked it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Rotten Punk posted:

Here is a question I've been asking myself.. How can I read more? Back when I didn't have internet access, or cable TV, or video games I could get through huge books in no time flat. In fact I think I read every Hitchhiker's Guide book in like 4 days or something.

But now it seems like I can only read when I'm either a passenger in a car or when I'm laying down to go to bed. I only get a couple chapters of whatever I'm reading a day and it's taking me like half a month to get through a single paperback.

Also while I'm asking questions, are the Dune books written by Brian Herbet any good?

At certain points during the day, choose to read instead of watching tv or playing a video game or posting questions about how to read. Good luck.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

So, wanna hook a brother up with a few links to other book discussion sites you visit?

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

therattle posted:

Choose a better book, buddy. Sheesh. (Book shops closing makes me sad).

Vacation is one of the best books of the last decade.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

The Leenane Trilogy by Martin McDonagh

also yeah tropic of cancer is really good

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

*scans book barn* What the? Doesn't anyone read fantasy in this place??

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

Need some book of the month suggestions. So far I've got Ragged Dick and Super Fetus, so weird titles I guess.

Jurgen by James Branch Cabell
Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
Sunnyside by Glen David Gold
Lick around the Outside of my Anus and also on the Inside of my Anus by Nietzsche

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The Machine posted:

DECIDE MY FATE: what's first?

Going to a library and getting a selection of better books.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I use some basic calculus formulas combined with the output of a constantly running random number generator to let me know which piece of writing I should point my eyes at next.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Story D: Hallowe’en incident—mirror in cellar—face seen therein—death (claw-mark?).

Story E: Vampire dog.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

ideas for poll themes:

-cool books about dicks

-musician tell-all books (written by former body guard level or higher ONLY, no tour bus driver memoirs!!)

-books with just pictures (maybe two because it'll only take two weeks to read one???)

-newest issue of newsweek and time

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Underflow posted:

Ah yes, I think I remember seeing that one. But LooseChanj, really, is that list diverse enough to be resurrected in this day and age? It lacks Rosa Luxemburg, Sappho, Shireen Lewis, and Nikolai Gogol (funny name minority).

It was never meant to be a list of good books, just books people wouldn't stop recommending so they could finally shut up about them.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

gently caress prescriptive grammar,

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hi, everyone. Here's a thing:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350961

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

What method of book purchasing puts the most money into the author's hands? Is there any difference between B&M, Amazon, eBook, etc?

Really depends on the situation. If they are published with a small publishing house, then buying directly from the publisher would be best. If they are published by one of the giants, I don't think it really makes a difference.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

It's really about time Pynchon got one.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I would like to read Prairie Pimp: Westward Hos! as well.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I can't wait for this http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Year-Fell-Love-Went/dp/0805093230/

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

kapalama posted:

Has anyone read "War is a Force That Gives us Meaning"?

No, but I saw the guy give the lecture version of it once. It was pretty intense.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

A book of nudie pictures what are printed off the internet.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

it's me. I'm the goon author.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I was on twitter and one of my absolute favorite writers suddenly started arguing with me. And I wasn't even talking to her or aware she was on twitter.

The internet is weird.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Juanito posted:

We need juicy details. Who was the author, and what had you said? :)

@planetoffinks read all about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I dunno, maybe you could actually do the readings for your Modern American Religion class.