Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Those pop up at Powell's Books here in Portland in the sale section every now and again. They are fantastic and I have a few of them now, I wish they would release them in the US.

It's interesting that their (lack of) cover art really makes them stand out on the shelves here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

To try and get people to read poo poo. poo poo shoveling if you will.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

Any tips on buying used books online that don't charge and arm and a leg for shipping? I managed to find a single book seller on Amazon marketplace that had like 10 books I've been wanting to buy, but their policy is $4 shipping per item, period. I'll be damned if I pay $4 to ship a book I'm buying for $.10.

I guess Half.com is a popular place to buy books, is there a way to easily search if a store has multiple titles, so I can see which sellers have the highest quantities of books I want to save on shipping? Any other good sellers?

biblio.com lets the individual sellers set prices. So sometimes it's still like amazon gouging, but some (betterworldbooks) have free shipping. Most of them give you discounts on multiple books shipping from them.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Op Oloop:
http://www.amazon.com/Op-Oloop-Latin-American-Literature/dp/1564784347/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I30C588X2GS9RK&colid=29BBUL28KLDDN

Wow no reviews.. hmmm

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Just ordered Cyclonopedia. Is there a thread about it somewhere? I have a pretty high expectation of wanting to discuss this one once I'm knee deep in it.

I found it pretty much unreadable garbage.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I'm betting if you put Borges in a poll on here nothing else is going to even come close. Might as well skip the poll and just do Ficciones. I'd love that thread and would comment on every story!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

What? No. Authors are going to be stoked you are there at all.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

The complete review guy has a pretty crazy rundown and analysis on odds of Nobel favorites:

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/archive/201009c.htm

He thinks it's going to be a poet over a novelist this time. I really don't think an American is going to get one anytime soon.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Julio Cortazar - Hopscotch

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

GZA Genius posted:

If by bad taste you mean 300+ pages of how a guy wants to fondle a 12 year old every chance he can get, than yes I guess my taste is bad.

I.. wait, what? Are you just learning English? are you severely autistic? I'm not sure how someone could misunderstand this book so much.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Reading 300 pages in an hour versus 25 an hour doesn't matter at all if you aren't retaining or really comprehending it though.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

pakman posted:

I finally bought a copy of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodline from Steam for $5 during the Halloween sale, and I have my copy of Vampire: The Requiem roleplaying book. I am finding myself looking for good vampire fiction. I read Interview with a Vampire several years ago, but never continued with the series. I really like the World of Darkness setting. I especially love books with a lot of politics and maneuvering for position. Are there any vampire novels that encapsulate this?

I hear this book "Dracula" is pretty good.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

politicorific posted:

I was hoping someone could clue me into some recent Asian American literature (novels, short stories, poetry) dealing with cultural issues or East Asia. English language, not translated works like Haruki Murakami.

I Hotel by Karen Tei Yamashita is about Asian Americans in San Fran in the 60s, lots of formats (including a comic book chapter).

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

z0331 posted:

Random question but...

Does anyone have a hardcopy of DeLillo's Cosmopolis? I got the Kindle version and it seems like there are two copies of the chapter "The Confessions of Benno Levin" in a row. I'm assuming this is just a screwup with the e-book version but I can't find anything online about people posting the same problem, so I thought I'd ask here on the off chance that it's actually supposed to be like this and maybe they are different somehow in a way I can't immediately figure out since flipping back and forth between them on a Kindle is difficult.

Definitely a mistake. There should be two Confessions chapters, one that starts "Night" and one that starts "Morning" about 50 or so pages apart.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I thought Song of Kali was boring and predictable in addition to being crazy horrible racist.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, and I really liked it. Now I'm reading his book Kafka on the Shore and liking it a lot less. It's not the magical stuff. I'm worried this is going to be one of those cases where I read one book by an author, love it, then read some more by him and just find samey stories littered with the author's fixations -- things I didn't know were fixations until they started reappearing. In Murakami's case (seemingly): introvert boy meets extrovert girl, one character relating to the narrator the long story of another character's traumatic past, Greek plays, college protests, mini book reviews from the narrator... This happened to me with John Irving (wrestling, sex with an older woman) and Paul Auster (Columbia University, 19th c. American lit, mini book/movie reviews).

Should I just finish this book and take a long break from Murakami, or am I wrong about him?

The only trope you seemed to have missed is jazz. I personally think that yeah Murakami is writing the same book over and over. The Wind-up Bird Chronicles is worth checking out because he executes his style most effectively there. But yeah, I'm not that into him.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Since I'm reading Don Quixote right now I'm curious: are there other works by Cervantes that are worth reading? He seems remembered on the strength of the one work for the most part. I'm aware of the titles of some of his other works but little else.

He actually didn't write that much. I've only read the Exemplary Stories that are translated into English and they were pretty entertaining, some of them are really weird.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

WoG posted:

e: Ooh, nice -- Sergio de la Pava (The Naked Singularity)'s other self-published book, Personae, is getting a reissue now, too.

I really liked Naked Singularity, but Personae is not very good at all.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Brian Evenson wrote two Dead Space tie-ins and the novel version of The Lords of Salem, the Rob Zombie movie, which I don't know why anyone would want to read. I assume he made many many times more money from these than from his indie press lit horror books.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i definitely trust the historical chops of the bald trotskyist who writes fantasy novels

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Annath posted:

RIP

Oh well, I guess I'll just designate a "Calibre input folder", which is the only way to make it delete the originals when you add them to the library, and then dump all my files into that.

No idea how long it'll take - the transfer itself wouldn't take long, but parsing the metadata will slow it down.

Yeah, I have an incoming folder that I drop stuff into and just forget about because Calibre takes care of it. It’s really easy, there’s not much point in attempting anything else.