Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
buy a deck of cards

1 or 2 bucks, 52 bookmarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

The Machine posted:

I still cannot believe the "The Beatles, but ZOMBIES! :haw:" book was published.

A friend recommended that book to me and so I stopped talking to him.

It also didn't help that he said modern fiction was not as good as what the comics industry was producing

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LooseChanj posted:

I liked that black authors idea. Off the top of my head, I want to put The Color Purple and The Invisible Man by Ellison on the poll, as well as something by Richard Wright. So that leaves two nominations open, suggest away.

I really really want to recommend either The Intutionist by Colson Whitehead or A Visitation of Spirits by Randall Kenan

Both are great black novels of this era, are less well known, and deal with more modern themes and issues that might appeal to the TBB reader more easily.

EDIT: For background...

The Intutionist is a Modern Noir story based around a female elevator inspector investigating the crash of a brand new super-elevator and the conspiracy that unravels behind it. Wrapped around this entire narrative is the theme of race and modernity. It invokes a lot of the thematic elements of the noir genre while utilizing them in a pretty radical way. It manages to be a novel about race through the incredible craftsmanship of metaphor and evocation.

A Visitation of Spirits is modern American magical realism. The story revolves around a gay teenage comic book and DnD nerd, the pride of his family and community, who becomes possessed by Demons after trying to escape his oppressive homelife. The story rebounds between the night of his possession and the aftermath. The most provocative idea in the novel is the concept of the evolution of the needs of black society. What were once seen as foundations of great strength in the past start to become new methods of oppression and restriction as society moves forever onward.

El Axo Grande fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 16, 2010

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Valkyn posted:

Can anyone recommend some good R-rated (if you will) fantasy? I'm sick of all the fantasy books being written for 12 year olds. I dont want erotica but some themes that are abit darker would be cool.

The GRRM books are about right I think.

The thread you want is literally right below you dude