Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?

Dr Scoofles posted:

What I love is when I go into a really nice second hand book shop that has an entire section dedicated to these Penguin books. Sadly all my local, small, Penguin friendly bookshops have closed and even more Waterstones have opened up.

Actually, in Norwich city centre you can stand at the entrance of one large, 2 floor Waterstones and look over the steet at another large, 2 floor Waterstones. They both stock the exact same books. I don't undestand the logic behind that.

If I remember correctly from my last visit there, doesn't Tombland Bookshop have a sizeable Penguin section? Or am I just misremembering?

Surely they would have some of the vintage editions. (Unless of course they're gone too :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

therattle posted:

Lords knows I've used them often enough but I fear for their effect on decent independent bookshops.

And it's hard for the indies to protest, too. "Start supporting independent shops again! This charitable organization is stealing our business!"

Sticky situation.

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I've got a number of older hardcovers with more fragile dustcovers. Could someone recommend some plastic outer dustcovers?

Brodart, a library archival products company (I think based in Pennsylvania?) is your best bet. They have myriad sizes, use plastics that don't have any corrosive materials in them (thus won't damage the jackets that they are supposed to be protecting), and are adjustible.

They are the only jacket covers we've ever used where protecting books at my shop.

http://www.brodart.ca/supplies/archival-products/book-and-pamphlet/book-jacket-covers/

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

It's because generally, Amazon is able to strong-arm publishers into mass quantity discounts that just plain aren't on offer for independents (or chains, for that matter). Publishers are by and large at Amazon's mercy as a result, as Amazon has made entire oeuvres of publishers unavailable before when disagreements occurred. Publishers like Ten Speed Press, Melville House, among others. Oh yeah, and a little start-up outlet by the name of Macmillan (was reversed shortly thereafter).

They get their books for comparatively cheaper than the others do, and don't have to really worry about any storage cost/rent issues that are the bane of the existence of your typical brick-and-mortar bookstore, so what is basically a nominal profit is trumped by effectively cornering the market.

There was an interesting read in the Boston Review a few months ago on the subject of Amazon's interactions with publishers:
http://bostonreview.net/BR35.6/roychoudhuri.php

EDIT: Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if this sort of trend was the same across the board as far other products Amazon sells, re: discounts available to Amazon v. those available to other retailers.

ColonelCurmudgeon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 21, 2011