Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does anyone use Audible.com?

I'm thinking about getting a membership, but I'm reluctant because I don't understand why I would need to pay a monthly membership fee just to have the opportunity to spend more money.

Is it worth it? You get free Wall Street Journal and New York Times access. And a free book each month.

(I have some vision problems, and suffer headaches and dizziness when I read small type in books, so the audiobook is a legitimate physiological preference.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just started House of Leaves, what do people here generally think about this?

I have to say, the footnotes are more exhausting than David Foster Wallace's. Every time I turn a page and see no footnotes, I breathe a sigh of relief, which only lasts until the next page. I'm only on page 45, so I imagine they're just going to get more complex and labyrinthian as I get farther into it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I've decided to read The Mothman Prophecies with House of Leaves. I need something light to balance the heavy, which isn't to say I'm not very much enjoying House of Leaves, because I am. I can see why it is a polarizing book, but I finished The Pale King prior to it, and that book was even more fragmented and disjointed than House of Leaves, and I really enjoyed the former, so the latter is more than tolerable-- it is quite enjoyable.

Could anyone link me to a thread on it, House of Leaves that is? I'll perform thread necromancy if I have to, but I've searched through all the archives and still can't find a thread devoted entirely to House of Leaves.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there a historical fiction thread?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am really enjoying Ahab's Return or The Last Voyage by Jeffrey Ford. Anyone else like? What are some other good books in this vein? These classic literary re-imaginings. Anyone else check it?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Post your wanted books list. "Wish List" on Amazon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there a John Milton thread anywhere? or where would the best place be to discuss him? New thread maybe?

I am working up to Paradise Lost and just finished Lycidas and was blown away, what an incredible poem. I'd also like to be able to discuss Paradise Lost as I go through it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gaius Marius posted:

There is a literature thread I suppose it goes there

The "quit being a loving child" thread? Okay, I thought there might be one more narrow in scope. I was surprised it was never a book of the month - I went through like 15 years of archives.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
any recommendations on grief / dealing with it?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Year of Magical Thinking is the definitive book on grief IMO. Might be too close for comfort if you’re not asking out of curiosity but actually need to deal with personal grief right now.

I need something that will immediately help me deal with personal grief

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

StumblyWumbly posted:

I wish I had a recommendation for you, good luck.

Thank you.

Something about people dealing with the death of a parent would be nice. No, no Jennette McCurdy please :lol:

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 30, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bilirubin posted:

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hahn has written a book entitled "How To Live When A Loved One Dies", I find his teachings quite comforting and accessible. If you are concerned about the Buddhist thing, I'm an atheist and still do many of his mindfulness meditations, which I find help me a great deal

There are loads of his talks available on youtube as well for immediate comfort.

Sorry for your loss

I actually adore Thich Nhat Hahn but didn't know of this title, so thank you for the recommendation and for the condolence

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Appreciate y'all

edit: I somehow stumbled on Matthew Lyons' A Black and Endless Sky. I read a teaser about there being an ancient door in the desert, and that was enough to get me in. It's okay so far.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 2, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
edit: wrong thread

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Megazver posted:

I wish I could afford, like, a massage table with a hole for my face in a special room so I could read something below it with my head and neck supported.

Holy poo poo... you just gave me a light bulb moment. I have a massage table in storage. Have been hardly able to pick up a book in a year because of my neck, switched to audio.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Since it's spooky month, I am thinking about delving into some William Hope Hodgson. I've heard that he's got some decent, how do I call it, nautical horror? Goons like books about ships... I have thalassophobia.

With all that in mind, what's a good starting point?

edit:

I teed you up for that one didn't I?

vvv :lol: vvv

escape artist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 3, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i only read house on the borderland & night land. possibly night land 2? don't remember i think there was a sequel

Eh, kinda archaic, probably worth the time to read, kinda interesting mysterious vibe, but not super incredible mind boggling stuff. Idk 6 or maybe 7/10 if you wanna just sorta focus on the feel of situation. Worth it but not worth going completely out of your way to get to it for those ones i guess.

He's got a ton of stuff on Scribd, and I am on my fourth month of a one month free trial. It's a weird little business model they have. If you read too much, they lock up your TBR selections til the next payment cycle. So I keep trying to cancel and they keep kicking me another 30 days. Our current book of the month, Camp Damascus by Chuck Tingle, is on there too.

Thanks for the recommendations

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am having a hard time starting and finishing anything these days, not just books.

Gonna try to listen to The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce's Ulysses tonight, as I think it will be far more enjoyable than trying to read Ulysses (again)

re: Nobel Prize

I only started reading Cormac last year but I have read a lot of his books. What's the best entrypoint for Fosse?

I owe the book of the month club 1,000 words on Whitley Strieber's Communion. It's hard to even make it through the introduction.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sheesh I read Norwegian Wood this year, what a depressing week

He’s a good writer for sure, just ahh make sure you’re in a good place, emotionally, when you start that one.

Oh I remember it also has an underage girl “seducing” an older person so.. bit of weirdness too, but probably normal for anime fans :dukedoge:

Yikes. I was waiting for something like that to happen during The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and it didn't. Disappointing, I would expect he would be wiser than to write something like that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

what happened to the horror thread?

It's now in the Halloween subforum. I still find myself wandering around TBB looking for it, because I am stuck in my strangely bookmarked ways.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Nice, $4.86 on sale for Audible. Thanks, just the thing for listening to while doing chores today.

Everything has been on sale on Audible. Good time to stock up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am listening to the audiobook of Mythos by Stephen Fry and holy poo poo. I just put a hold on the other two books in the series - Heroes and Troy. 2 month wait for those. It's unbelievably good, so accessible. I've never enjoyed the Greek myths like I have with this book.