Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

What's the stall speed of a commercial jet liner in that sort of situation at that altitude? I'm sure extreme roll and pitch maneuvers bleed off some speed but I'm really struggling to imagine a 737+ sized jet entering a stall immediately after cruise speed and altitude, followed by a flat spin :wtc:

During training for my last two type ratings, we've gone up to FL410 and chopped the power and watch how long it takes for the speed to bleed off enough to stall, and how much altitude you lose during the recovery. We have to start considerably slower than our cruise speed because it takes so long, and even then we usually deploy the spoilers at some point just to speed up the process. We're talking 5+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Additionally, aircraft certified in the US under CFR Part 25 are subject to certain rules regarding maximum cabin altitude after a failure of an engine or pressurization system, and allowable time to descend in order to maintain the maximum continuous cabin altitude.

Practically, this limits most twin engine aircraft to FL410. Noted exception is the 787, since it has electrically-driven pressurization, and each engine has two engine driven starter generators.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Theris posted:

Admiral Cloudberg

Huh, this reminds me, it looks like (actual ex-B-52 pilot and now cargo pilot) Major Kong stopped posting to his blog on dailykos last year. Anyone know where he went to?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

During training for my last two type ratings, we've gone up to FL410 and chopped the power and watch how long it takes for the speed to bleed off enough to stall, and how much altitude you lose during the recovery. We have to start considerably slower than our cruise speed because it takes so long, and even then we usually deploy the spoilers at some point just to speed up the process. We're talking 5+ minutes.

Is that training Pinnacle 3701’s legacy?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that training Pinnacle 3701’s legacy?

Nope, the plane I'm on now can go up to FL510 so FL410 isn't pushing the limits of the plane in any way, plus we still have both engines running. The actual altitude isn't really important other than it's *high up* to show the desired effects. It's used as a way to show us the dangers of getting slow when you're that high up and how long it takes to actually recover both in terms of time and altitude.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

two_beer_bishes posted:

Nope, the plane I'm on now can go up to FL510 so FL410 isn't pushing the limits of the plane in any way, plus we still have both engines running. The actual altitude isn't really important other than it's *high up* to show the desired effects. It's used as a way to show us the dangers of getting slow when you're that high up and how long it takes to actually recover both in terms of time and altitude.

Are you sure it isn't? Because one of the causes of pinnacle 3701 was that the crew had only done low altitude stall training, where the focus was heavily on minimizing altitude loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMmCekKO_c&t=1860s

Petter posted:

So as a consequence of this accident, airlines all over the world started to practice more high altitude stalls and to emphasize on the importance of really getting the nose down and keeping the nose down until the speed has recovered, using the engines nice and slowly and smoothly to get the speed up. And only once the speed is back up and the aircraft is unstalled can you start thinking about regaining altitude, not before that.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Xakura posted:

Are you sure it isn't?

No I'm not sure, that sounds a lot like what we did, I just don't remember 3701 being part of the sim brief for this maneuver. When I do it again later this year I'll try to pay attention to any mentions of it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

two_beer_bishes posted:

No I'm not sure, that sounds a lot like what we did, I just don't remember 3701 being part of the sim brief for this maneuver. When I do it again later this year I'll try to pay attention to any mentions of it.

Now I'm not sure either, because the article that he shows on video when he says that the training got changed only mentions AF447 and Colgan 3407, which happened later.

https://apstraining.com/resource/faa-improvements-to-upgrade-stall-training-in-the-future/

Of course that doesn't mean 3701 didn't contribute to the change.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Bit of a coincidence, I just saw this show up in my Twitter feed. Stall recovery in a 717:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a question about ILS and the practical implementation of at airports.

I've noticed some airports are equipped with ILS are not in the direction of the normal, expected prevailing local weather.

For example, an airport near me (CYQL) has the "normally" active used in an expected E-W configuration (06-24), with 24 being used, probably (pulling this outta my rear end) 95 times out of 100. Westerly winds are going to be typically the norm, and they can often be quite strong. As in, sustained 40-50 kts with 60+ gusts is not unusual, especially as the seasons turn.

That said, the ILS is set up on 06, not 24.

What would the reasoning for that be?

Granted, on days that it would be very foggy or *very* low cloud it's probably not going to be crazy windy like the speeds above, but usually a west wind is what's expected so wanting an ILS but getting a tailwind in the process sounds a little strange to me. I understand RNAV/GPS approaches nowdays make that not as much of an issue, but before the days of that what would be the reasoning having it opposite what you would expect?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

illectro posted:

Teenage boy in left seat, girl in right seat. Boy applied some force to the yoke, overriding the autopilot which disengaged control of the ailerons. The plane slowly rolled and nobody noticed until it reached about 45 degrees, by which point the autopilot was pulling up to maintain altitude, so people were feeling extra G loading. Few tried to get kids out of the seats, and get in, but g loads made this harder.
Aircraft slowed, disengaged autopilot, went into a steep dive, the co-pilot got into his seat and pulled out of the dive, but he overcompensated, ended up nose high, stalled, spun and failed to recover.

One gem that I remember was that if they’d just let go of the controls during the spin the aircraft would have recovered naturally.

based on the cloudberg write up, it was the boy and the first officer, the girl had already gotten up:

quote:

https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/painted-into-a-corner-the-crash-of-xl-airways-germany-flight-888t-04257538ac3b

The insidious aspect of this feature on the A310 was that the disconnection of one channel but not the other would fail to trigger either the visual or aural autopilot disconnect warnings. If, for example, only the lateral channel was disconnected, then not only would the autopilot remain engaged, but the selected lateral mode would continue to be displayed on the autopilot control panel, even though the autopilot actually no longer possessed any lateral control authority.

In the event, the lateral channel disconnected when the roll force on the control columns reached 11–13 kilograms, and did so with no warning whatsoever. Flight data showed that Eldar alone was not responsible for the disconnection — First Officer Piskaryov was holding onto his control column as well, presumably in order to react if Eldar made any sudden inputs. Because the control columns were linked, he could feel every input which Eldar made. He might therefore have been unaware that it was the autopilot which was trying to turn back to the left, and not Eldar.

Furthermore, the disconnection threshold was met when the cumulative force on both control columns reached 11–13 kilograms, meaning that Eldar and Piskaryov might each have been applying as little as 5–6 kilograms of force when the disconnection occurred.

As the lateral channel disconnected, a torque limiter engaged to physically declutch the autopilot’s aileron actuator, preventing it from making any roll inputs. This would have caused a change in the feedback forces on the control columns as the resistance put up by the autopilot abruptly vanished, but Eldar could not have been expected to notice, and Piskaryov probably thought the change in feedback was because of an input by Eldar. As a result, no one noticed that the autopilot was no longer steering the plane — in fact, Piskaryov and Eldar were.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

slidebite posted:

I've noticed some airports are equipped with ILS are not in the direction of the normal, expected prevailing local weather.

For example, an airport near me (CYQL) has the "normally" active used in an expected E-W configuration (06-24), with 24 being used, probably (pulling this outta my rear end) 95 times out of 100. Westerly winds are going to be typically the norm, and they can often be quite strong. As in, sustained 40-50 kts with 60+ gusts is not unusual, especially as the seasons turn.

Granted, on days that it would be very foggy or *very* low cloud it's probably not going to be crazy windy like the speeds above, but usually a west wind is what's expected so wanting an ILS but getting a tailwind in the process sounds a little strange to me. I understand RNAV/GPS approaches nowdays make that not as much of an issue, but before the days of that what would be the reasoning having it opposite what you would expect?

ILS has some limitations that may prohibit its use in certain situations. For example, it requires a straight in approach at a reasonable slope (around 3 degrees). Terrain or other obstruction might make it impossible to use on a runway.

Another limitation is the physical hardware. It has to be possible to install it and have the beams clear of objects.

Not knowing anything about that airport except looking at Google Maps I would guess it's not terrain but if might be the airport layout that makes an ILS on 24 difficult. The 24 arrival end is right on the 13/31 and taxiway A.

Finally, small airports also have cost considerations. ILS systems are expensive. It might be be they are happy with modern SBAS RNAV approaches (which exist for all 4 runways) so they don't need to maintain multiple ILS systems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems the Air Force is trialing new wheel chocks

https://x.com/ryankakiuchan/status/1782456759107584392?s=46

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hobbesmaster posted:

There appears to be a rat in the photo where the gator is between the wheels

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kesper North posted:

There appears to be a rat in the photo where the gator is between the wheels

The ram air turbine isn't even near that part of the plane :confused:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I found something for Mr. Yenko: in Britain in the 1960s they made a series about British Air Traffic Control. The series is called British Air Traffic Control.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Elviscat posted:

The ram air turbine isn't even near that part of the plane :confused:

Haha, no I mean rattus norvegicus. Ballsy of it to just run right past a gator like that.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2024/04/23/rescue-effort-underway-after-plane-crashes-in-tanana-river-near-fairbanks/

I believe this makes the eighth DC-4 or derivative (two Carvairs) the owner/PIC has wrecked.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Norway rats can chew through concrete. Cats avoid the adults. If swallowed whole, I have no doubt it could eat its way out of a gator, and the gator knows it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

god I looked it up and found at least three without even looking too hard. Last one was in 2020. This company should change from a fuel company to a scrapyard

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Phanatic posted:

Bit of a coincidence, I just saw this show up in my Twitter feed. Stall recovery in a 717:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2CsO-Vu7oc

I dunno what’s worse, watching that and hearing the atari 2600 pac-man game, or hearing it while being the guy recovering from a stall. Actually I do know

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a croc chock.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Spaced God posted:

god I looked it up and found at least three without even looking too hard. Last one was in 2020. This company should change from a fuel company to a scrapyard

When I clicked, the story had updated. Seems likely that this crash wiped out the company altogether - there were no survivors. Someone on twitter posted ground security cam footage of the flight's last moments, showing a catastrophic engine failure that seems to have developed into a stall-spin. The wing with the failed engine was the one which stalled, suggesting that the prop seized as that would cause an immediate increase in drag on that side.

https://twitter.com/keremaliinal/status/1782949604083798517

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

Having flown into Lethbridge and throughout Southern Alberta fairly frequently, there's only one possible motivation I can come up with, because you're correct about the crazy winds (I've only used something other than 24 twice). If I were to try and come up with a reason why the ILS is set up for 06, the only thing I can come up with is that the ceilings and visibility are usually completely fine in this area with strong westerly winds, but frequently poo poo due to upslope when the winds are out of the east. Therefore, you are more likely to need or benefit from the ILS when the wind is out of the east, even though it's incredibly infrequent that it happens.

Practically speaking, I love that 24 is set up with the VOR approach, because it means we can almost always do the full-procedure VOR 24 for training. In terms of airports that are practical to reach from Calgary on a training flight, it's either the VOR 24 in Lethbridge or the NDB/DME 35 in Red Deer if you want to do something other than an RNAV or ILS. Possibly you could do the NDB A in Cranbrook around a similar distance, but then you need oxygen, you're more concerned about the weather since you're going into the mountains, and there's enough traffic in Cranbrook that they might tell you to pound sand if you want to fly the rather challenging NDB-to-circling-minima approach.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for that post.

That's the only thing I can think of too, as if the weather is bad with low ceiling or outright fog, it's not going to be very windy, but I've always thought it a little odd. There are never really "strong" winds from the east... North would be even more likely than that, and probably more likely to blow in the bad weather.

That said, maybe the earlier poster was right - when they set it up "back in the day" when they were installing it there was a physical reason (some WW2 era structure?) as to why they couldn't facing west. Some buildings which have been removed/burned since then. It's always made me wonder, but I suppose now wit it's largely moot. More of a curiosity than anything.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The installation of ground infrastructure to publish IFR approach procedures in the states can often come down to localities or municipalities blocking installation, or refusing to grant the land easements required. If traffic requires, it can sometimes result in a suboptimal set of procedures.

One of the best parts of RNAV approaches is that (within reason,) you can ignore everyone surrounding the airport. We currently have a similar issues with a pair of airports in Florida that are in rather desperate need of amended arrival and departure procedures and aren’t going to get them because some rich rear end in a top hat doesn’t want other rich assholes flying their airplanes near his vacation home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BobHoward posted:

When I clicked, the story had updated. Seems likely that this crash wiped out the company altogether - there were no survivors. Someone on twitter posted ground security cam footage of the flight's last moments, showing a catastrophic engine failure that seems to have developed into a stall-spin. The wing with the failed engine was the one which stalled, suggesting that the prop seized as that would cause an immediate increase in drag on that side.

https://twitter.com/keremaliinal/status/1782949604083798517

This video on the Flight Records channel overlays the exchange between ATC and the pilot and it appears the engine was giving them signs of trouble well before the explosion, which happens just a few seconds before the plane goes down. They called in that they had an issue and were returning to the field long before that point.

The video does show the explosion and the plane falling but you don't see the actual impact which occurs just out of frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Y0TlD1068&t=190s