Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Rolo posted:

Yes hello aviation industry NC thread person here, I was told someone was talking poo poo about vinegar sauce in here what the heck.

White Meat salad with bbq themed vinaigrette. It's not even cooked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It tastes good when I eat it though

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm binging this whole blog now thanks

Yeah seriously; since I've read most of Fear of Landing, I now have something else in between F5ing Sylvia's blog on fridays

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

lol.

It’s a gently caress-off-huge castle nut that gets torqued to something like 150ft-lbs. Most of the main and nose wheel sockets I’ve seen fit a 3/4in drive breaker bar and torque wrench. Secondary retention past that varies.

I checked my manuals. I don't have anything really big, but I do have Gulfstream IV and Challenger 300. The procedure is broadly thus:

Tighten to A Bunch (300-500 in-lb), loosen to zero, tighten to Not Much (15-150 in-lb), rotate to next locking feature (do not exceed XXX in-lb). insert locking mechanism (bolts, cotter pins, flanged washer, etc). The main axle nut is tightened to seat the bearings, then tightened just enough to preload the bearings. It doesn't get godawful amounts of torque to hold it on.

Some casual googling indicates that widebody airliners are much the same; main nut torque in the 15ft-lb range.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BonoMan posted:

As a Mississippi native... NC BBQ is an absolute joke. Poorly cooked, wet meat. Ugh. Honestly food in general here is.. not great when compared to the deep south belt.

Git they rear end

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
People, people, people, I'm sure we can all agree on one thing: Alabama barbecue sauce sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rubs are ace. Sweet sauces are gross. Vinegar sauces are amazing on wings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Full Collapse posted:

Rubs are ace. Sweet sauces are gross. Vinegar sauces are amazing on wings.

I never understand why people like vinegar things so much. I can't stand places that sell hot wings because the whole place stinks of vinegar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

All of your regional barbeques pale in comparison to Brooklyn style

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Phanatic posted:

People, people, people, I'm sure we can all agree on one thing: Alabama barbecue sauce sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

White sauce is great on poultry you fool. You absolute imbecile.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I never understand why people like vinegar things so much.

I have seasonal allergies and vinegar hot sauces help clear the sinuses.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Warbird posted:

White sauce is great on poultry you fool. You absolute imbecile.

Cornell chicken ftw

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

All of your regional barbeques pale in comparison to Brooklyn style

That really was a fun day on the internet.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
This has been a fun derail, especially when you consider that sauce is the refuge of the inadequate pitmaster and that the addition of mayonnaise into anything creates an abomination unto the lord. These are facts.

Despite that, United got to reset their Incidents Reported In The News But Were Not News counter to 0 today, so that's nice.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

This has been a fun derail, especially when you consider that sauce is the refuge of the inadequate pitmaster and that the addition of mayonnaise into anything creates an abomination unto the lord. These are facts.

This sentence should be on the front cover of every aviation manual.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

the addition of mayonnaise into anything creates an abomination unto the lord. This is fact.

Thread title?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’d stump for ‘sauce is the refuge of the inadequate pitmaster’ because it’s a stone cold fact; the rest a bit less so.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

For an aviation-related sauce anecdote, I had a coworker who made his "BBQ SAUCE" for a hangar cookout. He started with 4L of Big Red and 2L of Dr Pepper and boiled that down. Other things apparently happened after that, but I wasn't listening anymore.

It looked and smelled like Skydrol; I wasn't about to taste it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

That really was a fun day on the internet.

Could someone explain this for the unable to Google lens properly

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Could someone explain this for the unable to Google lens properly

Vice published a breathless article about good barbecue joints in Brooklyn, New York. For some reason they included the photo above. While I'm sure that meat is tasty, they managed to make it look like prison food. People made a lot of jokes on Twitter that day.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Cornell chicken ftw

best chicken I've ever made, after making it on a whim

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Warbird posted:

I’d stump for ‘sauce is the refuge of the inadequate pitmaster’ because it’s a stone cold fact; the rest a bit less so.

For all the guff I got for being not-so-on-the-side-of-NC-BBQ, this was my point from the get go. The meat is the star!

I'm also not against the white bbq sauce on pollo either.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
AvWeb has been putting out some boring podcasts, and it made me wonder what happened to Paul Bertorelli. Turns out he retired. Good for him.
https://www.avweb.com/insider/i-could-never-get-away-with-this-again/

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 21, 2024

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Beef Of Ages posted:

On the contrary, mayonnaise is excellent

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

the rare "he's right" quote.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You can easily defeat mayonnaise with a ww2 5 inch gun

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Generation α is killing seafood! my two year old doesn't like shrimp

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shrimp are way better once you discover their true natural habitat: cocktail sauce.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Buffalo shrimp are pretty good too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I would pay stupid amount of money to see a Neil Breen film about Boeing.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Neil Breen pulling out a laptop from a dc10 wheelwell, presses a button, says "I've uploaded Boeing's corruption to the news network. Evil is falling."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Neil Breen pulling out a laptop from a dc10 wheelwell, presses a button, says "I've uploaded Boeing's corruption to the news network. Evil is falling."

I RESIGN AS PRESIDENT OF THE BOEING

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Salami Surgeon posted:

AvWeb has been putting out some boring podcasts, and it made me wonder what happened to Paul Bertorelli. Turns out he retired. Good for him.
https://www.avweb.com/insider/i-could-never-get-away-with-this-again/

Oh no, his YouTube videos for avweb were great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I loved the one where he kept adding more and more shoulder epaulets as the video kept going until they were almost going down his arm.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just cross-pollinating this:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn, the hits keep coming for Boeing.

The FBI sent letters to all the people on the Alaska Air flight that had the blowout to inform them that they may be victims of a crime. The letters also confirmed that the FBI is conducting a criminal investigation into the blowout. This is after the Justice Department opened up a criminal probe into it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of robber barons, honestly.

We need to nationalize someone to make an example. May as well be Boeing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of robber barons, honestly.

We need to nationalize someone to make an example. May as well be Boeing.

You’ve got a red dot on you

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The United States Government would launch nuclear weapons at its population centers if its citizens tried to make it nationalize anything, let alone Boeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Spaced God posted:

Capitalists would launch nuclear weapons at its population centers if its citizens tried to make it nationalize anything, let alone Boeing

Reminder that the USG is largely a fetish--a fall guy--that's too often and too easily blamed for problems created/sponsored outside government. The buck doesn't necessarily stop there. There's circumstances where the clear road to improvement actually lies in government, such as this instance where improved oversight, reversal of regulatory capture, and a deterrent of criminal convictions are likely going to be important components of any good solution to the Boeing and airline maintenance problem.