Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Model S seals well enough to turn it into a spaceship for short periods of time. Thrust via wheel rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Potato Salad posted:

Reminder that the USG is largely a fetish--a fall guy--that's too often and too easily blamed for problems created/sponsored outside government. The buck doesn't necessarily stop there. There's circumstances where the clear road to improvement actually lies in government, such as this instance where improved oversight, reversal of regulatory capture, and a deterrent of criminal convictions are likely going to be important components of any good solution to the Boeing and airline maintenance problem.

drat and here I was trying to not get too anticap outside cspam but yes :d2a:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also like, Chrysler was nationalized in 2009. that was not that long ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also like, Chrysler was nationalized in 2009. that was not that long ago.

And Government Motors. How soon we forget.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang they use a legit-looking one and not a small embroidered version for keychains.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Duality of FedEx

https://twitter.com/Benzinga/status/1770919528639131779

https://twitter.com/WhatLayoff/status/1771203728474804378

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

I loved the one where he kept adding more and more shoulder epaulets as the video kept going until they were almost going down his arm.

Don't sleep on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Boom XB-1 apparently flew for the first time yesterday.

https://youtu.be/ON2_9XFjKl4?si=3g0xr6ZPb6RWUeNC

I remain sure that a production version will remain forever vaporware, but I am guardedly hopeful.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

The Boom XB-1 apparently flew for the first time yesterday.

https://youtu.be/ON2_9XFjKl4?si=3g0xr6ZPb6RWUeNC

I remain sure that a production version will remain forever vaporware, but I am guardedly hopeful.

A private company developed a (presumably) supersonic jet. Pretty amazing.

The demo is using J85s though, still gotta make their own engine. They’re doing this at the right time though with Boeing’s rep in the shitter for the foreseeable future there was never a better time to launch a new airline.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The engine is the hard part

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

They have a long way to go but any vc backed moneypit sure knows when to time a press event.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

The engine is the hard part

Hence the fact that despite intensive espionage efforts, the Chinese are still trying to make Russian engine designs more efficient because even if you had the plans/schematics for the F119 and/or F135, if your manufacturing quality and metallurgy aren't up to snuff, nothing's going to work reliably enough.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Spaced God posted:

The United States Government would launch nuclear weapons at its population centers if its citizens tried to make it nationalize anything, let alone Boeing

Force privatization and force Lockheed and GD to each buy half.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

A private company developed a (presumably) supersonic jet. Pretty amazing.

The demo is using J85s though, still gotta make their own engine. They’re doing this at the right time though with Boeing’s rep in the shitter for the foreseeable future there was never a better time to launch a new airline.

Lol, did you, like, look at the thing?

E: that was mean, but they have a ways to go before that thing goes supersonic, much less they make it into a passenger jet.

quote:

XB-1 met all of its test objectives, including safely and successfully achieving an altitude of 7,120 feet and speeds up to 238 knots (273 mph).  

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 23, 2024

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Lol, did you, like, look at the thing?

E: that was mean, but they have a ways to go before that thing goes supersonic, much less they make it into a passenger jet.

in fairness if I was a VC looking at funding a project and they said "yeah for our first test vehicle we're going to build a full scale aircraft and send it" I would give them zero money

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mad.radhu posted:

in fairness if I was a VC looking at funding a project and they said "yeah for our first test vehicle we're going to build a full scale aircraft and send it" I would give them zero money

You're not a VC-brained moron, though.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Beef Of Ages posted:

You're not a VC-brained moron, though.

no but i'm definitely a moron

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

It's a sensible move from an R&D perspective yes, I was responding mainly to "A private company developed a (presumably) supersonic jet. Pretty amazing." Which, I'll hold off on being amazed until they work through the massive hurdles they have in from of them.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

"Now I've been quite hard on flight instructors in this video, and if you are one I hope you'll take it in the spirit it was intended...which was to give you crap about flying large patterns!"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Elviscat posted:

It's a sensible move from an R&D perspective yes, I was responding mainly to "A private company developed a (presumably) supersonic jet. Pretty amazing." Which, I'll hold off on being amazed until they work through the massive hurdles they have in from of them.

Yeah. They made a Plane. And I mean that’s legit good for them, there’s a whole graveyard of companies that have very much failed to make a Plane. But a Plane is not a supersonic certified passenger jet with commercially viable turnaround times and maintenance windows.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would just like to point out that lockheed, northrop, general dynamics, mcdonnell-douglas, grumman, convair, and dassault are just some of the private companies that have developed supersonic aircraft.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was doing a road trip a couple of weeks ago and came across an aviation museum in Temora in NSW, Australia.

I knew nothing about this museum, other than the fact that they had two Spitfires there, and all the planes are still in flying condition, except for one.

This museum covers both WWII and Vietnam era warbirds

A CAC Boomerang. Sadly it had lunched its engine recently so being stripped down for repairs

A Ryan trainer

Cessna A37 Dragonfly. This was captured by the NVA during the Vietnam War, but somehow got back to the West. Still used by the Chilean Air Force, and GE still makes new jet engines for it

The last original flying English Electric Canberra bomber in the world. NASA has two heavily modified Canberras for high altitude weather work. This was flying over the town when I arrived.

Cockpit of the Canberra

Cool little Tiger Moth

The last flying example of a Lockheed Hudson bomber in the world

Since it was based off a passenger aircraft, it could be used to bomb the Japanese then take casualties out of the battlefield

CAC Wirraway, a well used WWII trainer in Australia

Spitfire. This one was used for ground attacks, mainly going for trains that were supplying V2 bomber sites. This Spitfire was used as a parts plane for the 1969 Battle of Britain movie, then got rebuilt in the 80s. It was getting some maintenance before flying out for an air show later that week.

The second Spitfire. Known as the Grey Nurse, it was flown by RAAF crews in the European theatre

Gloister Meteor

Bird Dog, used for Forward Control work in Vietnam

CAC CA-27 Sabre. Based off the F86, it used a Rolls Royce jet engine instead of the GE in the F86. This is the only plane that can not fly in the collection, as the propellant to eject the ejector seat is no longer made, and the RAAF won't allow a single engine jet to fly without an operational ejector seat.

The engine that made sure the Allies stuck it to the Axis

Beep Beep Jeep

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Awesome photos from a Canberra

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Nice photos

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Calhoun is out at Boeing.

Chairman of the Board is also departing, and the president of Boeing Commercial Aircraft is gone effective immediately.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

This is the literal purpose of a CEO.
Get blamed, get paid, get another job as CEO

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are Calhoun and Deal part of the McDonnell Douglas group that was ruining everything?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Are Calhoun and Deal part of the McDonnell Douglas group that was ruining everything?

Calhoun has a background first with GE coming out of college up through senior leadership on all kinds of projects. From 2005 onward, he basically worked in marketing and private equity firms until joining Boeing, over a decade after the McDD / Boeing merger.

Deal is a career Boeing guy, pre-merger.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
A quality escape has occurred in Boeing managment

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lot more institutional rot has to be cleared up. Let's see if it happens & to what extent.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sagebrush posted:

I would just like to point out that lockheed, northrop, general dynamics, mcdonnell-douglas, grumman, convair, and dassault are just some of the private companies that have developed supersonic aircraft.

I don’t mean to move the goalposts here but the surprising part is not the private ownership, it’s the private funding and lack of a government contract. Even Concorde had an intergovernmental treaty.

The percentage of Boom funding that has come from the govt is seemingly less than 10% instead of 75-100%.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

I don’t mean to move the goalposts here but the surprising part is not the private ownership, it’s the private funding and lack of a government contract. Even Concorde had an intergovernmental treaty.

The percentage of Boom funding that has come from the govt is seemingly less than 10% instead of 75-100%.

I don't think you are moving the goalposts at all.

None of those companies would have produced supersonic aircraft had it not been for government contracts or at least competition for a government contract.

I guess if Howard Hughes was alive he might have funded it for shits and giggles?

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2024

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Reading through some of the Cloudberg stuff and I enjoyed this:

"Of course, being weird isn’t a crime, but he had committed actual crimes as well:"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1769368900909629625

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We get it, APU; you vape

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I survived flying on an Alaska Max 9 today, but my rear end about fell off after 5 hours in those goddamn new seats - even in first.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The chemtrail machine is only supposed to be run at altitude

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

The chemtrail machine is only supposed to be run at altitude

Thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"