Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

You Am I posted:

Cessna A37 Dragonfly. This was captured by the NVA during the Vietnam War, but somehow got back to the West. Still used by the Chilean Air Force, and GE still makes new jet engines for it

Sex on the tarmac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Freaquency posted:

Boeing has selected a new CEO

quote:

And Stan Deal, president and chief executive of Boeing’s commercial airplanes unit, is leaving the company effective immediately. Moving into his job is Stephanie Pope, who recently became Boeing’s chief operating officer after previously running Boeing Global Services.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

You Am I posted:

I was doing a road trip a couple of weeks ago and came across an aviation museum in Temora in NSW, Australia.

drat.

I might have to visit this place in August. It looks like one hell of a drive from Sydney, though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

You Am I posted:

CAC CA-27 Sabre. Based off the F86, it used a Rolls Royce jet engine instead of the GE in the F86. This is the only plane that can not fly in the collection, as the propellant to eject the ejector seat is no longer made, and the RAAF won't allow a single engine jet to fly without an operational ejector seat.
Shame because they still had it flying for Avalon Air-show in 2015

Image source

Wikipedia link for the Air Force Heritage Squadron which is based at Temora and Point Cook.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

The chemtrail machine is only supposed to be run at altitude

Speaking of which:

https://www.loweringthebar.net/2024/03/tennessee-senate-votes-to-ineffectively-ban-something-that-doesnt-exist.html

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Freaquency posted:

Boeing has selected a new CEO

I think that’s green smoke

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The text of the bill explicitly calls out geoengineering, which is a topic of real debate, but the article only talks about chemtrails.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

even if they do convict them of anything it won't matter. they'll be pissant sentences in white collar resorts and the pricks will still be rich when they get out

how many hundreds of millions of dollars did they get paid to leave

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Xenoborg posted:

The text of the bill explicitly calls out geoengineering, which is a topic of real debate, but the article only talks about chemtrails.

Well, the plain text of it certainly bans cloud-seeding as well. Not sure if they still do any of that in TN though, probably not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cactus Ghost posted:

even if they do convict them of anything it won't matter. they'll be pissant sentences in white collar resorts and the pricks will still be rich when they get out

how many hundreds of millions of dollars did they get paid to leave

Ah but will the pricks be inflated with saline?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

no that's much more dangerous

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I hear tell that Jerry stopped flying and took up being a cargo ship captain.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Full Collapse posted:

Thread title

This thread currently has generated the most reports this year.

And it's only "Thread title pls" which is awesome, they have been great suggestions even if they havent been taken up

Warbird posted:

I hear tell that Jerry stopped flying and took up being a cargo ship captain.

LMAO

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's a LOT of smoke, right? Even for a cold oil start?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Xenoborg posted:

the dude who brought it forward is a complete wingnut that has posted pictures of contrails on his social media with interesting statements. it's absolutely fair to read between the lines cause the dude is a loon.

"While the wording of the bill may have a veneer of legitimacy, Mastriano’s past behavior suggests he believes there’s more going on here. In addition to saying his bill “will mirror” a Tennessee bill that claims the government is conducting “geoengineering experiments by intentionally dispersing chemicals into the atmosphere,” he also has a history of posting overt nods to the long-debunked chemtrail conspiracy theory.

After losing the governor’s race back in 2022, he posted four photos of contrails along with the caption “Over Franklin County today” before linking to a post about solar geoengineering. And back in November, he posted another photo of contrails with the caption “I have legislation to stop this. I took this at 4:15pm Monday in Chambersburg. Normal contrails dissolve / evaporate within 30-90 seconds.” "

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And it's only "Thread title pls" which is awesome, they have been great suggestions even if they havent been taken up

LMAO

WE’RE NUMBER ONE

WE’RE NUMBER ONE

WE’RE NUMBER ONE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I think Snoop Dogg might be piloting that thing.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Like, SA-wide, orrr?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

vessbot posted:

Like, SA-wide, orrr?

My god no, the Ukraine thread in D&D generates more reports in a week than all of AI does in a year, I'd wager.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Safety Dance posted:

My god no, the Ukraine thread in D&D generates more reports in a week than all of AI does in a year, I'd wager.

How does that work? People would have to be reading that thread for the rep...

Oh no. Oh god no.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cable Guy posted:

Shame because they still had it flying for Avalon Air-show in 2015

Image source

Wikipedia link for the Air Force Heritage Squadron which is based at Temora and Point Cook.

I didn't see the de Havilland Vampire T.35 when I visited. I am not sure if it was off somewhere else that day, but there didn't seem to be a spot for it in the main hanger

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Reported drone strike out of SFO the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZ_eCEulwo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So does reporting work similar to reddit insofar as it results in an anonymous notification with a reason for said report and the referenced post? I don't think I've ever reported a post.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Warbird posted:

So does reporting work similar to reddit insofar as it results in an anonymous notification with a reason for said report and the referenced post? I don't think I've ever reported a post.

reporting to who, the FAA?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Warbird posted:

iirc it creates a special post/thread in a queue that only the mods can see and yeah it includes the username of whoever clicked report along with whatever you type in the reason box

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

SAD thread with lots of information about how it all works: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047861

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

slidebite posted:

thanks obama

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AD 2024-03-27

Thread closed for shitposting.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

slidebite posted:

For a secomd I thought someone ate a knife missile.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

That’d be a lot if it were -40 degrees out.

It does not look that cold there, so that’s a fucktonne of smoke.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

slidebite posted:

Turned out to only be "reported", VASAviaton commented and pinned this on their own video:

quote:

The FAA later reported: "Aircraft struck a bird on departure damaging the pilot side window"

Guess they found the blood streaks after landing.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The CEO of Ryanair says the airline would regularly find missing seat handles and tools under floorboards on Boeing planes

quote:

The boss of Europe's largest airline told CNN last week that it would regularly find leftover tools under the floorboards of Boeing planes, as well as missing seat handles.

Michael O'Leary, the CEO of Ryanair, Europe's biggest airline by passenger numbers, told the news network that the issues were "nothing big, nothing major," but added that it wasn't up to standard.

"In 2022 and 2023, we were finding little things like spanners under the floorboards, in some cases, seat handles missing, things like that," O'Leary told CNN on March 20.

"This shows a a lack of attention to detail, quality issues in Boeing," O'Leary added.

Ryanair spends 48 hours checking new planes in Dublin after taking delivery, said O'Leary. The Ireland-based low-cost carrier only flies Boeing aircraft and is one of the aircraft manufacturers' biggest customers.

This isn't the first time O'Leary has said there's a lack of quality control on Boeing planes.

At a press conference in January, he said he found a wrench under the floor of one plane in such checks.

"It is not acceptable that aircraft get delivered at less than 100%," O'Leary said at the time.

However, the situation had also improved by then, as the 12 planes Ryanair took delivery from October to December were "the best deliveries we've taken from Boeing," said O'Leary.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

boeing was just giving ryanair some of their own medicine

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Grim lol at Ryanair complaining about quality control.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

Turned out to only be "reported", VASAviaton commented and pinned this on their own video:

Guess they found the blood streaks after landing.

Note to self: tape some fake blood packets to drone

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Here's a pretty infuriating story about the Boeing whistleblower who allegedly committed suicide the other week: Suicide Mission: What Boeing did to all the guys who remember how to build a plane

I could quote the entire thing, but here's a few sentences that stood out to me:

quote:

Like most neoliberal institutions, Boeing had come under the spell of a seductive new theory of “knowledge” that essentially reduced the whole concept to a combination of intellectual property, trade secrets, and data, discarding “thought” and “understanding” and “complex reasoning” possessed by a skilled and experienced workforce as essentially not worth the increased health care costs. CEO Jim McNerney, who joined Boeing in 2005, had last helmed 3M, where management as he saw it had “overvalued experience and undervalued leadership” before he purged the veterans into early retirement.
(...)
Those who cared too much about the integrity of the planes and not enough about the stock price were “phenomenally talented assholes,” and he encouraged his deputies to ostracize them into leaving the company.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Googles “when did 3M buy that company that made the bad earplugs that gave all the veterans hearing loss?”

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
3M famously has almost as many products as it does employees.

So, I am sure that each roll of tape has its specific production ‘knowledge’ of IP and processes written down in a way that when they need another million rolls of this or that particular version they just pop open the recipe book and make it. They probably also have a pretty good set of steps to make a new type of tape with slightly different characteristics.

Rolls of tape or sheets of plastic aren’t an aircraft though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reading that is extremely creepy because it explains what my employer (a multinational property/casualty/financial insurance company) put me & my colleagues through between 2008-2017.

We had no idea what was going on. Folks lost to attrition (quit to find other jobs or careers) were not replaced, and the workload became untenable. Our division dealt with the public, and while this was going on, they were running very public campaigns stressing customer service, grading us severely on such service, getting JD Powers & other surveys, etc. all the while being stone-deaf to our complaints that what they were saying was in no way matched by what they were doing. It was insane & we couldn't figure it out. We were the field staff. We had literally centuries of experience on offer. They clearly had no idea how to do our jobs (let alone manage us), and it was apparent that they didn't give a poo poo.

It had to be some species of this. The micro version of this is sitting on hold on a robot voicemail tree while a non-human voice comes on every 15-seconds to apologize, hey, you're actually Very Important To Us, You Matter, and We Care.

What's sad and a little frightening is the death of meritocracy in this country. Once all the people that know how to actually do and make things are 'eliminated,' what then?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2024