Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

slidebite posted:

Curious Droid guy? He's pretty solid.

No, the regular sized one with all the click bait channels, "today i found out" was the one I remember him from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hadlock posted:

That thumbs down button exists for a reason

But since Youtube stopped showing the number of dislikes you can't tell which videos are total poo poo before you start watching them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No, the regular sized one with all the click bait channels, "today i found out" was the one I remember him from

I liked watching Today I found Out for a while but then got sick of it. Maybe it's the guy, idk.

And using an AI voice to narrate a video is a massive mistake. In my brain, it would put it in the same category as those channels that make AI narrated videos full of fake info about science and technology.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's Simon Whistler, he's in the worse-than-wikipedia tier from what I've seen of him. It's not that unexpected from someone who churns out content at that rate.

It's a general problem with YouTube channels that even if they're started with someone that has legitimate expertise in a particular field, sooner or later they run out of things to talk about and enshittification ensues. One of the many reasons to admire This Old Tony is that he never became "a youtuber".

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 30, 2024

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TheFluff posted:

That's Simon Whistler, he's in the worse-than-wikipedia tier from what I've seen of him. It's not that unexpected from someone who churns out content at that rate.

It's a general problem with YouTube channels that even if they're started with someone that has legitimate expertise in a particular field, sooner or later they run out of things to talk about and enshittification ensues. One of the many reasons to admire This Old Tony is that he never became "a youtuber".

This is why I Do Cars is the best youtuber. There’s no visible end to his content.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What is their channel about?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Water pumps

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Warbird posted:

What is their channel about?

Clearly LISP?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Water pump gaskets

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Oil dipsticks

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

This is why I Do Cars is the best youtuber. There’s no visible end to his content.

When I have overnight shifts I spend a large part of them watching his videos. It's such a great channel.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yeah I didn't know his name. Looks like simon whistler. I don't watch most of them but he puts out so much content he inevitably pops up. Can't miss ol baldy with the red brick background

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a patagonian cavy posted:

The hundreds of 737s stored at KMWH are there because their customers can’t take them- they’re largely Chinese-bound frames and China did not approve the 737 MAX for commercial service until a few months ago. Additionally, each frame will require rework to bring it up to the new approved standard (MCAS fixes plus a few other things).

This is correct, that tweet thread sucks

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

joat mon posted:

Oil dipsticks

Uncle Rodney and getting his lost bearings

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is wild

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_I.Ae_38

One of the Horton Bros in Argentina in the 1950s tried to adopt their flying wing work into an aircraft that could carry oranges from West Argentina to Buenos Aires. The railway took a long time, and the roads were not built up enough for trucks.

The aircraft took ten years to get flying, and proved poor at flying, so the subject was scrapped.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i like that they made it orange. thats a good color for the orange plane

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Plane posting, ama. Also if anyone has hot tips on squeezing extra free internet out of American lmk.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is wild

The aircraft took ten years to get flying, and proved poor at flying, so the subject was scrapped.

Cool swept-wing grand caravan, bro

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Couldn't they have just bought you know, second-hand DC-47's or something, rather than 'We have to design and build an experimental plane for this task'?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deptfordx posted:

Couldn't they have just bought you know, second-hand DC-47's or something, rather than 'We have to design and build an experimental plane for this task'?

Argentina wanted to build itself an aerospace industry and this was part of that effort.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

That wasn't Argentina's way in the late 1940s/early 1950s. The Peron regime had 1) a lot of money 2) burning desires for modernisation, self-sufficency and to make Argentina a world power 3) a lot of scientists and engineers who had recently emigrated from Germany for inexplicable reasons...

There was a lot of weird cutting edge stuff coming out of Argentina in that period - more accurately a lot of ideas for weird cutting edge stuff because you can have money and Kurt Tank and Reimar Horten but without an aeronautical industry you can't realistically bring any of their concepts to reality.

But that's why there's all these bizarre FMA projects like "build a giant flying wing to transport fruit" or a "five-engined regional jet airliner that's faster than a DH Comet".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah keep in mind Argentina is "built" a lot like Midwestern us. Big and flat. Argentina made most of their money feeding Europe during WW1 and 2. Italians and others flew there to be farm hands making 5x the European rate, sending most of it home. There was a big sense that, like Cuba, Argentina would be a major world power some day. Having their own aviation industry didn't seem out of the question

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Burying the lede to not mention "with an annular fuselage air intake" there

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hadlock posted:

Yeah keep in mind Argentina is "built" a lot like Midwestern us. Big and flat. Argentina made most of their money feeding Europe during WW1 and 2. Italians and others flew there to be farm hands making 5x the European rate, sending most of it home. There was a big sense that, like Cuba, Argentina would be a major world power some day. Having their own aviation industry didn't seem out of the question

Thinking about it, pre-ww2 many nations had their own aeronautical industry that you might not think of. I guess minus the superpower competition, having a domestic aircraft industry was more like having a domestic auto industry or a domestic shipbuilding industry.

The one I know from Argentina: FMA IA 58 Pucará

COIN aircraft that came disturbingly close to killing a lot of British dudes in the Falklands war.

There's also this Jet trainer:

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Burying the lede to not mention "with an annular fuselage air intake"

I dunno, I'd be impressed if it was one big turbofan back there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

The aircraft took ten years to get flying, and proved poor at flying

There was no way to know.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's also this Jet trainer:

I dunno, I'd be impressed if it was one big turbofan back there.

Is that the one with code name "mittens" or something?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Is that the one with code name "mittens" or something?

The 'Mitten' is a Yakovlev advanced trainer that looks like a Funko Pop F-16.

The FMA Pampa is effectively a straight-wing version of the Dornier Alphajet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It looks like an S-3 that lost a lot of weight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

The 'Mitten' is a Yakovlev advanced trainer that looks like a Funko Pop F-16.

I went down this rabbit hole last night and came across this made by the same argentine group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_A-4AR_Fightinghawk

quote:

The program was named Fightinghawk in recognition of the F-16 Fighting Falcon, which was the source of its new avionics.

Kind of nice to see this technology getting recycled into multiple aircraft :shobon:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hadlock posted:

I went down this rabbit hole last night and came across this made by the same argentine group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_A-4AR_Fightinghawk

Kind of nice to see this technology getting recycled into multiple aircraft :shobon:

Somewhere, the Canadian defense minister stops whatever he is doing and shouts uncontrollably "WAIT, WHAT IF WE PUT F-15 AVIONICS IN CF-101s?!"

He then passes out

Speaking of rabbit holes, I'm kinda amazed at how many people actually spent money modernizing the A-4.

quote:

Project Kahu was a major upgrade for the A-4K Skyhawk attack aircraft operated by the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) in the mid-1980s. (The project was named after the Māori-language name for the New Zealand swamp harrier.)

The Argentines also designed a double wasp powered...Mosquito copy, but it worked pretty well. They were even contemplating a Merlin-powered version, (which I guess is still less weird than Kurt Tank designing the Ta 154, making it out of wood, and calling it the Mosquito) but first they thought a succsessor aircraft would replace it

And it is basically a DH Hornet, but that was cancelled when Tank started building his jet fighter. (That didn't end well.)

Platystemon posted:

There was no way to know.

One problem with Horton in particular is that he wasn't an engineer; him and his brother were enthusiast amateurs. That doesn't necessarily knock the dudes; I forget the guy's name, but the A-4 was the last aircraft designed by a self-taught engineer who had high school and a drafting course under his belt. He was also the chief designer of the Dauntless dive bomber.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nebakenezzer posted:

One problem with Horton in particular is that he wasn't an engineer; him and his brother were enthusiast amateurs. That doesn't necessarily knock the dudes; I forget the guy's name, but the A-4 was the last aircraft designed by a self-taught engineer who had high school and a drafting course under his belt. He was also the chief designer of the Dauntless dive bomber.

Ed Heinemann of Douglas.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at it, it kind of looks like the A4 was sort of the first "export grade" fighter jet, probably because it was subsonic and only has three weapons pylons to start? Like a quarter step above a jet trainer with automatic weapons, or something

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Seems like they got 21 A4s for the cost of like 5 F-16s. Not a bad deal if your air force is pure deterrent/relationship token.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

Seems like they got 21 A4s for the cost of like 5 F-16s. Not a bad deal if your air force is pure deterrent/relationship token.

Big “Swiss and the F-5” energy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Looking at it, it kind of looks like the A4 was sort of the first "export grade" fighter jet,

Full Collapse posted:

Big “Swiss and the F-5” energy

Wikipedia posted:

the Kennedy Administration revived the requirement for a low-cost export fighter

:hmmyes:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Amusingly, those Swiss F-5s are coming back home.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aww, they finally get to be flown in anger.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Aww, they finally get to be flown in anger.

Well, they did get to take their aggression out on the sides of mountains at AXALP, one of the most unique "air shows" in the world, where people hike two hours up to watch said F-5s and F-18s dump cannon fire into targets.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any reason why they're shipping 70 year old airframes by ludicrously expensive air freight instead of by boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Hadlock posted:

Is there any reason why they're shipping 70 year old airframes by ludicrously expensive air freight instead of by boat

Is it particularly glib to think that perhaps they could have been flown over under their own power? Would have been a fun hop over the pond.