Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
The mosquito is my favourite plane of all time. I might make an effort post about it later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I seem to recall reading that the Tipsy Nipper is really prone to flat spins and is near unrecoverable once in one. I remember seeing that video a while back, it's pretty :aaaaa: I can only imagine his thoughts when he clipped the barbed wire fence after putting her down, I reckon something along the lines of 'Oh for fucks sake, really?'.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I seem to recall that he really calmly says 'Well, looks like that's it then' a few seconds before he recovers it. Kind of surprising how a pilot can become so locked into flying the plane that their obvious fear of iminent death is a quiet and frank statement.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

An open cockpit plane is the only time I've ever bee both too hot and too cold at once (the planes exhaust vented right at the forward cockpit). Also breathing in exhaust for 45 minutes is unpleasant.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I always love the 'eyewitness' and passenger reports in these kinds of cases.

quote:

Others have spoken of seeing one of the wings "broken", or with a hole in it, but this has not been confirmed.

Yes. I'm sure you did.

I also love the picture of a 'smoking' engine which is actually a perfectly functional engine that is sucking in a bit of fire retardant foam.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I couldn't find any pictures of the wing - fair enough. I knew that it was #1 that was sucking foam and #2 that died, it just seemed a bit misleading to show the picture of #1.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Not mentioned in that article, but #1 also had a fuckup. Once the pilot got the plane on the ground he couldn't shut #1 off.

They really weren't having a good day.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I've found that sometimes it's nicer not to be able too having seen an altimeter unwind a few hundred feet in a couple of seconds. I near enough shat.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Not to mention the dropbears.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Heavy attack is when Lenin rises from his grave, punches you in the face and starts full communism.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Turns out you can fly a helicopter directly over the top of Heathrow and central London, so for our joint birthdays my Dad hired an R44 from Redhill and we did exactly that. It was loving amazing.

Looking down the runway at heathrow as an Air Canada rolls out

Air Canada touching down

Heathrow overview

Concorde :smith:

747 starting takeoff roll

747 rotating

There are something like 5 380s in this picture

Picadilly line train

The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace (unbelievably lucky timing here)

Central London

House of Parliament, Downing Street, Westminster Abbey

Docklands and Canary Wharf

The R44 in question

I have more pictures, albeit not as good, if anyone is interested.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was in the region of £600 for a little over an hour. That was with my dad flying (he has his PPL(H), PPL etc) but an instructor onboard due to my dads license being FAA not European. You could probably do it cheaper in an R22 rather than an R44.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Brovine posted:

If you've got anything around City Airport I'd like to see.

Probably the best I've got unfortunately, and I only have this smaller copy not the original because it was on my dads camera.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

A very good friend of mine has pictures of himself in the left seat of The Collings Foundation's B-24J over Marathon and the rest of the Keys. Apparently, if you're a pilot, it can't hurt to mention it and politely pester the crew. (The guy in question can talk his way into or out of anything, but that one tops them all.) They even let him log it, and signed it off as type-familiarization.

My dad has between 30 and 60 minutes logged in a handful of different warbirds by doing exactly this.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

When I was a kid my sister and me used to fly unaccompanied a lot, and every single time I asked to be taken to the cockpit. I amassed a pretty good collection of free plane stuff - postcards, badges, foot long models of the plane, that kind of thing. I suspect the pilot was liberating the stuff we were given from the in flight shop, in hindsight. It was cool as gently caress though.

Nothing interesting planes wise though, just BA and BM 737s, 757s, maybe the odd 767 I guess.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

This is a photographer in I assume the same compartment. Doesn't look great.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

priznat posted:

RIP Pebbles

I’m not pro hamster flushing but airlines taking a hard line on “emotional support whatevers” is the right call.

Also at first I thought she had to flush it on the plane which would be even worse, poor blue hamster.

What an utter piece of poo poo.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

It's a white hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Quickest & best hack I was told about, for transoceanic flights, was to pre-order off of the special "proscribed" menu through the airline's website. Ate halal on the way to Zurich, and kosher on the way back. Best airline food I'd had in awhile, especially from AA.

Yeah I completely agree with that, I always order the vegan meals and they're pretty ok - if I paid 5 quid for it at a cheap cafe I would be fairly happy. Worth noting though that this is on European airlines. I've not flown an American carrier since starting to order special meals but some of the worst food I have ever been presented with has been on their flights (I'm looking at you, United long haul breakfasts).