Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I HATE CARS posted:

This kinda fits here I guess.

http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html

Sweet mother of God! What is that thing?! :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
What are those tubes on the top for? Missiles of some kind I presume. God bless the Soviets' infinite amount of imagination.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Phy posted:

It's like they picked up building Weird poo poo right where the Nazis left off.

Someone had to do it. It makes me wonder what cybernetic/zombie Kim Jong-il has cooked up.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is the coolest photo ever taken.

Better res? Bigger?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

durabrand107 posted:

Burner runs (engine runs where you accelerate up to the fully open augmentor position) were pretty neat too. Nothing like strapping a jet down with it's tail hook and watching as it tries to get loose. Being about 20ft from a jet in full burner (outside) is cool as you really don't hear anything anymore it's just your whole skeleton kinda vibrates.

This is rad as gently caress.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Honestly, unless it is featured in this game, any jet built should be immediately scraped as a failure. :colbert:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

blambert posted:

More James May stuff. This one makes him officially the luckiest man on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6cZLfK4Zjk

Un-loving-real. :aaaaa:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Godholio posted:

Fake dogfights (BFM) is pretty standard training. It's a loving BLAST, too. There's also a lot of BVR (beyond visual range...ie, radar & missile work) too. I'm surprised it's low enough for you to actually see it. It's usually way too high.

That's just the way it is out here in Arizona I guess. Hell, I even get low altitude flybys with F-16's in lower Chandler, AZ (outside of Phoenix). On the flip side of technology I get to regularly see some vintage biplanes painted up in Blue Angels garb have fun right over my house. :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

silversiren posted:

Oh Jesus. :fap: No force on Earth could have kept me from running over and dry humping the poo poo out of those 2.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

azflyboy posted:

The problems with the engine on the Thunderscreech mostly came from the fact that it was too complex.

Allison created the T40 by taking two of their T38 turboprops, bolting them together and adding a hellishly complex clutched gearbox and propeller control system (which required 25 vacuum tubes to operate).

The idea was that one of the power sections could be shut down in flight to improve range, but the idea never worked that well, and the tendency for the gearboxes to fail spectacularly and the unreliability of the vacuum tubes in the prop control system doomed the engine.

Allison did make up for the J40 fiasco in the form of the T56, which has been reliably powering the C-130 fleet (among others) since 1954, with over 18,000 of the engines being delivered to date.

So it's an FD with wings.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Schindler's Fist posted:

Re: A-10 lifetime, iirc there is a fair quantity of A-10's still in storage in the big 'boneyard' next to Davis-Monthan. (I took the AMARC bus tour out of the Pima air museum, and I saw them) They are kept in such condition that they can be ready for flight in a couple of days - if Congress approves the money.

So, if too many get shot up or start hitting airframe limits, we'll probably still see some flying for a while.

Godholio posted:

The airframes at AMARC are the least-airworthy of the fleet, that's why they're there. These are the jets that have hit or are already close to the hours limit, have structural damage, etc. Pulling anything out of AMARC for service would require the most dire of circumstances.

For anyone not familiar with AMARC here's a satalite shot of the "bone yard". It's unreal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...067549&t=h&z=14

Zoom in and take a look around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

orange lime posted:

If they're being that anal about the legality of it all, I would think that they'd find some kind of abandoned-property law to allow them to be reclaimed.

Or they're justifying the exorbitant government budget for shrink wrap.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'd give anything to just walk that yard for a few days with a camera. So much history.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Have some of those B-52s had their noses removed? Or are they something else?

Removed. Everything in that yard is slowly getting cannibalized and hacked apart.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ApathyGifted posted:

They did.

Balls. Of. Steel. :aaaaa:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ozziegt posted:

I don't know why OptimusMatrix didn't post the link to that Gizmodo article:

His boner got in the way. We're lucky we got that much. :fap:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have the full-sized file and its been my wallpaper ever since.

Would you mind posting it? It's a drat good photo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Yeah, the original is here, its too big for waffleimage
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/080423-F-0523M-168.JPG

Awesome and thanks! It's now in my rotation. :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Used Sunlight sales posted:

An F-14D Upgrade at zone five burner sitting on the waist cats of a carrier, full war load of fuel and ammo getting shot off.

At night.

My crotch would have literally exploded.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Sterndotstern posted:

I saw a slide rule one once. They appear to be a weird relic from some ancient alien civilization, covered with cryptic writing and ratios. I quickly shielded my eyes with my TI-83 and continued playing Dope Wars.

:lol::lol:

I stole this for a FB status.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

My best friend from my last base got an incentive ride in my old jet. I'm happy so happy for him. He also got some amazing photos.

Hi res perchance? Those are some great shots.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Enter crappy cell phone pics...

Tooling around outside on Tuesday and I heard a bird that didn't sound like all the other ones (I live next to a small private air park). I was mostly just gawking wide eyed before I realized I wanted to take a picture and only managed to snap one non blurry one.

ENHANCE!

All silver plus the blue markings. After some light Googling I think I spotted Sentimental Journey, 1 of 11 operational B-17's. I could be wrong but the silver and blue were pretty distinct. My God she was beautiful.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Locator posted:

If you are only flying SouthWest or US Air it isn't bad, since you will be in Terminal 4. But if you get stuck in T2 or T3, or worse, need to transfer between terminals, ugh. The designers made no provision for transfer between terminals at all (not even a sidewalk for the intrepid that want to brave the heat), so you have to catch a shuttle bus.

They are in the (slow) process of tying everything together with a train system now, but of course step 1 wasn't tying the terminals together, or even connecting to the rental car facility. Nope, step 1 was connecting Terminal 4 to the east parking garage and the light rail north of the airport. The mind boggles.

The 'master plan' had both terminal 2 and 3 (and the old non-existent terminal 1) replaced with shiny new terminals nicer than terminal 4, but that plan has never materialized.

This. Terminal 4 isn't half bad and it's basically the most used one IIRC. If I have to pick up someone from SH I basically tell them to get to 4 or find a taxi because 1 (lol) 2 & 3 are crapshoots even externally.

I'm not well traveled like some of you but for worst airports I'd say it's a toss up between ATL and LAX. Both unique in how awful they were for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bugsmasher posted:

So this came to Calgary for the weekend:

B-17G Sentimental Journey by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

B-17G Sentimental Journey by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

So awesome, first time I've seen a B-17 in flight.

Calgary? drat, she gets around. She's stationed somewhat near my house and have had her fly over a few times.

:allears:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So loving mad about this shot I got. The first thing I notice was the noise, oh the noise. I look up and see a B-25 (Maid in the Shade) flying loose formation with Sentimental Journey coming right at me. I scramble for my camera bag but fumble the loving hood, the cap, the strap flies everywhere, etc. By the time I got situated the 25 had banked out of sight and I managed a single rear end shot of the 17.

DSC_3091 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Click through for hugeness.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This was a pleasant surprise at PHX. Always liked the old livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wombot posted:

Chopper 4 has gone down. First on the scene, Chopper 4!

Oh man, I haven't heard that bit in forever. :golfclap: