Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I know some of you guys have probably seen this before - but this is our 1947 Cessna 140. My dad bought for $1500 out of Utah where a guy had groundlooped the living poo poo out of it. My dad and I rebuilt it in our garage. It was painted this gawdawful haphazard arrangement of white, black, red, and yellow - so Dad quickly rectified that.

It's an ex-bush plane, and has a larger 108 hp engine on it, an upgrade that was apparently done in the field, as the cowling has been beat to poo poo and back, then rivited to poo poo, then riveted so hard that it's no longer poo poo. Unfortunately, the end product is a beat-to-poo poo cowling, earning the plane it's nickname of Wrinkle-Dent One.

The wingtip is red because one night an owl struck it and obliterated it, and Dad replaced it a piece off a red plane. Everyone thought he did it on purpose and proclaimed my Dad an aesthetic genius, so he kept it. Anyways, pictures.
I don't like the checker on the vertical stabilizer, but it makes my Dad happy, so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

LobsterboyX posted:

Its beautiful!

Is something like that affordable?

I bet you could get about 18-25k for ours - somewhere around there - maybe more, maybe less. The polished aluminum, larger engine and bush-plane background may appeal to some. I don't know if that's affordable, but you don't have to be a Mr.Moneybags to own one.

Boy it would help though.

EDIT: Actually, after looking around online, I would guess ours would only fetch sub-20k prices. It's nice, but it's nice in that tough-guy way, where it's rough around the edges but functions better than most others. My dad is an A&P, so every little part on this plane is either up to spec or significantly improved - it just may not look so great.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 9, 2010

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

DerDestroyer posted:

It's just there's always this talk about capabilities about how XYZ soviet fighter is more maneuverable or can do nice things. A common person with no experience would see them pull a cobra maneuver at an airshow and think that means the fighter is amazing.

But if we look at the raw facts I don't think a single F-15 or F-16 has ever been lost in battle to a Mig-29. It's pretty much a lopsided 170-0 kill ratio. The Russians lost like 6 planes to a dinky little country like Georgia alone. Maybe the sad truth is that as much as we'd like to think the Russian planes are "good" in some way, in actual war they're just target practice. The common armament for most Mig-29s and SU-27s consists of R-27s and R-73s. The R-73 might be able to do something at short range, but most engagements are BVR. An F-15 just fires (and forgets) and AMRAAM and starts maneuvering to evade any R-27s the Russians fire. You need to maintain a radar lock on your target for an R-27 to hit and if you got a AMRAAM on you, you're gonna be running for your dear life to evade those missiles losing the lock and causing your R-27 to fall harmlessly to the ground. Not to mention R-27s are supposedly notoriously unreliable. Meanwhile that AMRAAM doesn't need a radar lock from the F-15 that fired it which means while that missile is chasing you and you're trying really hard to avoid it, the F-15 pilot can sit back and have a coffee.

I honestly don't think American pilots have had a real challenge since Vietnam. Only thing to really worry about nowadays are SAMs.

We talkin' planes or missles here?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

VikingSkull posted:

That's entirely true, but let's not pretend that Russian aerospace engineers are loving retards.

Russian Aerospace engineers are awesome. Period.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

oxbrain posted:

Rotary engines are far more insane than radials. I don't mean those silly triangle engines, I mean the ones where you hold the crank still and spin the engine around it.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/oberursel-engine/oberursel-ur-ii-rotary-engine-build-history

Also, they are ear-splittingly loud - and there is no throttle, it's either full on or full off - so you control your speed by 'blipping' the magnetos.

Also, total loss oil system!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Um, I think you are forgetting about the An-124. 20% bigger then the C-5, world's largest mass produced airplane.
Thanks for this, that "gently caress you, Antonov" statement bugged me too.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Forum Hussy posted:

Why not one of those Embraer Super Tucanos or whatever they're called? They make an armed version that would be perfect for close range ground support.

Fake edit: wiki says the Air Force and the Navy are (were?) both evaluating the aircraft for this exact purpose.

I really think that the Super Tucano is a beautiful, badass looking little airplane - maybe it's that P-51 tail.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
I've been putting off this post since the thread was formed, as you all know I have the tendency to megapost - well, here's a megapost of my favorite aircraft. I have a lot of favorite aircraft.

BV-141

Do-335A

An-2 Colt
"A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions (blind flying when you can't see the ground) or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft (it won't stall) and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground."

gently caress everyone, I like Fairey Fireflies and Gannets

Beech Staggerwing. I've been lucky enough to spend quite a long time in one of these.

My favorite WWII fighter, the Seafury.

Yak-9. Really classy little airplane with a beautiful wing shape.

The Gloster Meteor is another gorgeous early jet fighter:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I'm also partial to SAAB designs.
I love the Tunnan

The Drakken

The SAAB B-17.

Click here for the full 1024x695 image.

The SAAB B-18

Click here for the full 1023x666 image.

The SAAB A/J-21

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Oh and of course the Viggen, Gripen and all that other newfangled gobledegook. :)

If you don't love the F-7 Tigercat, throw yourself into a lake because you're a loving retard and we all hate you.

Click here for the full 1980x1323 image.

Click here for the full 1546x1546 image.

Things I will post soon.
B-25 Mitchell, B-24 Libby, A-26 Invader, XF-12 Rainbow, etc.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Boat posted:

Weren't those things really really difficult to land?

Wow. That thing looks all kinds of :downs:. I don't think I've ever seen double-folded wings before either.

It's definitely a goofy looking little aircraft. I like to think that third bubble canopy was just a joke some engineer pulled as they were submitting their final blueprints.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

sigtrap posted:

Unless I'm very mistaken, I've been lucky enough to ride in that very Staggerwing. It was owned by a guy named Addison Pemberton, who did the second restoration on it. One of the benefits of working at an airfield was getting friendly with these guys and getting rides.

Once, he was up flying, a friend of his was flying his Navy Stearman, and another friend was flying a Staudacher (or was it a Pitts?). Someone called us up to ask if there was an airshow going on. "Well, yes and no."

Also, there's nothing like watching an AN-2 take off into a headwind. They just kinda lift straight off the ground, like someone's flying a kite.

I'm not sure if I've been in this particular airplane or not. To be honest, I'm just that slackjawed but quiet kid that you see being pulled around by a pilot dad - cargo shorts, camera, and a signed 'RARE BEAR' shirt or something. As a result, some piloty Mom or Dad will see me and offer me a ride. I've been stuffed into Stearmans, Meyer OTWs, Stardusters - once even a de Havilland Tigermoth. Every highwing Cessna you can imagine - from 120s to 208Bs, and a few warbirds too, B-17, B-24, and a B-25s.

My dad used to be part of the pit crew for a racing Mong (single seat racing biplane) out at the Reno Air Races - so my and my sister were rung through the ringer of complimentary flights, almost like how a mom-type would give some nice kids some sweets, we'd get rides.

Now I'm this big hairy man and my little sister is still cute, so she got a ride in this Lockheed.

Luckily we are really tight with the owners, so if I even so much as asked, I'm sure I could get a ride.
Here's some pictures she took:

I think she was 12 at the time.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Delivery McGee posted:

I own three, and I was born well after the advent of the electronic calculator. A 10" Pickett, a 6" pocket Sun Hemmi, and an E6B on the bezel of my Seiko.

I actually used the slide rule on my watch while taking pictures of the Hornet -- somebody asked how much gas it carried, pilot gave a figure in pounds (because that's what they use in the military), I did the math and told the kid what it was in gallons. :smug:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

This is probably going to be a racer at the Reno Nationals. I'd bet you anything. Possibly in the unlimited class?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Sterndotstern posted:

Aside: speaking of Hughes, he certainly had an eye for aesthetics:

H-1 Racer, an almost unbelievably pretty airplane.

My dad was good friends with this airplane's builder and pilot. Sadly he crashed it in a state park after an engine failure, and in an effort to miss - i poo poo you not - a family of campers, he stalled it out at the last minute, rolled it in and was killed. The airplane burned to the ground.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

82Daion posted:

Eh?

Unless you're talking about the replica that was built much, much later and which crashed in Yellowstone...

That would be the one, obviously - right?. We still have the lawn chairs he let us borrow when we met by chance in Oregon. I saw it a few times in person when he was building it, then only once after it was flying. It was beyond beautiful, perfectly constructed.

Edit: And yes, Yellowstone is a National Park, not a State - my bad.

And double edit: This bugged me, so I had to come back to this post. It somehow annoys me that it's referred to just as a "replica". It wasn't just a replica, at was an H1 Racer. It was a Hughes H1. It wasn't built by Hughes, but for all intents and purposes, it was simply the second one built. The picture above is of that replica. I only got to see if fly once at the Reno Air Races.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 22, 2010

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

"Bear", "Freestyle", "Foxhound", and "Flanker" make up for those. Though it's too bad the Freestyle went nowhere.

I wish they had even cooler stuff like "TankTop" and "Dropkick".

T-87c Booyah. Mi-62 Lolcat.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Delivery McGee posted:

Question: How do you start a rotary (Clerget, not Wankel) engine? I know you've got the mechanical-era equivalent of a squire out front cranking the thing over by hand, but what's the procedure inside the cockpit? As much detail as possible, please. I've been asked about this, and I'm not sure. I know the startup procedure for a WWII-era radial down to the number of blades you count going by in each step, but the Great War engines are beyond my knowledge (and probably far simpler).

I already posted this, but this is the best video I can find on rotary engines. It's not going to answer your question, but it has a lot of neat information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

EDIT: about a minute in, the unbelievably interesting pilot starts talking about the engine itself.

There is definitely something interesting going on inside the cockpit, as the pilot is obviously paying quite a bit of attention to whatever gauges are in the cockpit, and making the 'squire' push the propeller forward and back.

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 23, 2010

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

ApathyGifted posted:

But that got canceled because assholes don't know the value of building kickass poo poo.

This could be applied to so, so many things.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

MrChips posted:

I know it's an abbreviation. And if you can show me an abstract or a paper that refers to this engine as a "SCRamjet" instead of "scramjet", then I'll believe you.

Jesus christ you pedantic, intolerable weenies. Look at what you're arguing about. LOOK.

Shut up and post hot radial engines.

Whoops!

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

LOO posted:

Yeah it is.

I'm sure you guys already knew all about this - but some guys have been building replicas up in Washington, and they are GORGEOUS.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

CommieGIR posted:

Click here for the full 980x667 image.

Anyone else notice the nose on that one looks DISTINCTLY like a B-17 nose?

HAhahah, yes - and there is a very good reason for this.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Colonel K posted:

Gabriel is back at it. Prepare for a somewhat dissapointing test run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-_dsNTZch0&

Oh dear god. I love they rough they are with is - tossed haphazardly into the back of a truck.
Also, 800kg? Dear god!

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 4, 2010

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Manny posted:

If it's the same thing I see, I think its a RB-57/WB-57 which is a heavily upgraded Canberra, with the wing tips lopped off and tail feathers removed.

Click here for the full 1715x1445 image.

This is correct.
I'd love to get my hands on the little T-37 Tweet next to it.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Ola posted:

I tawt I taw an F-14 Puddytat!

Daaaaaaaaad, you're embarassing me.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Over in the History thread in GBS, Phanatic posted this utterly glorious story of a SR-71 pilot Brian Shul from his book Sled Driver.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that everyone reads it all the way through.

Goddamnit - My dad has a signed copy of this book, and I think this is the excerpt that is finally going to make me go snag it from him.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

rcman50166 posted:

Is it just me or did that Mustang still look flyable? I don't question the pilot's choice to eject but still, it would be a shame if it could have been landed.

I think if maybe if he took time to assess the situation at such a low level, problems could have compounded very quickly - and there was no way for him to know exactly what was damaged or how badly it was damaged. As sad as it is, he did the right thing, and did it very well.

It really did look flyable, and I bet it was - but there aren't many options at such a low altitude. A less professional pilot probably would have tried to save the plane - as weird as that logic may seem.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

iyaayas01 posted:

Given the situation he was in, he could've run out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas pretty quickly had something (else) gone wrong. Doing a manual bailout at that altitude is pretty impressive.

Especially considering the parachute deployed about 2 seconds before he hit the ground. He must be some old military pilot or something, to just go into that fearless, mechanical self-preservation mode.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Revolvyerom posted:

edit: I'm an idiot, he had to actually pull himself out of the cockpit, didn't he? Even more :clint: then, jesus.

He pops the canopy almost immediately, you can see it fluttering behind the Mustang - and then yeah, old cat had to physically stand up and jump out of a rapidly falling airplane, only a few hundred feet off the ground. The more I really try to put myself into that position, the more :clint: it gets.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Cygni posted:

I don't care how inefficient that pusher prop on the Arrow was, its such a loving awesome design.

Was it inefficient? I thought it was one of the fastest prop-driven planes of the day? But yes it's loving awesome beyond belief.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
My Dad was there today. I spent a good half hour panicked before I got a hold of him.
There will be a lot of deaths.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Viggen posted:

I'm listening to it now Reno Scanner; let me put it this way - they're trying to find parts to try to perform identification when possible.

Yeah.

This is where he went in:

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

VikingSkull posted:

I know some of you were wondering, so.... Strega was in first, the Galloping Ghost and Rare Bear were fighting for 2nd.

:(

Goddamnit. He had Galloping Ghost in contention with Rare Bear? It really was a beautiful airplane.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

http://youtu.be/qs98xkTIBQU

This video is amazing. The sound of the aircraft approaching is horrendous, and this guy was really close to the crash. He didn't get the impact on camera really, but you can definitely see just how fast the plane disintegrated. There is a puff, then almost nothing.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Advent Horizon posted:

Goddamnit. The plan was to go next year. I've wanted to go all my freaking life!

I really hope they make an announcement about next year soon, we'll be buying our tickets in less than a month if they're on.

This sucks in so many ways, hopefully nobody else dies.

Despite what happened today, if you're a gearhead, it's basically heaven.
The noises those planes make when they go by is not only impossible to record and really capture, but it also defies description. You FEEL them go by.

I really hope it's still going next year.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

InterceptorV8 posted:

That picture is huge, and is that body parts riding the shockwave?

I've self-banned myself from posting in GBS, but really, some people in that thread.

If you look for the parachute, you can see what is probably his torso and disconnected head. His legs probably are 15 feet or so in front of him.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Captain Postal posted:

Have a look at reports on the physical effects to those within 10km of the thunderscreech on startup. Rotating shockwaves are not a good thing.

This exactly. We don't have supersonic prop-driven airplanes for reasons other than "we simply aren't capable of making them."

ursa_minor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 17, 2011

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Revolvyerom posted:

Can we seriously stop posting pictures of the gore? please?

None of it is really gore. You can tell there may be something, but it also might not be.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

OptimusMatrix posted:

haven't seen this one yet of the crash.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=68d_1316458488

Holy poo poo.

Look, I feel really terrible for everyone hurt or killed.

I also feel really terrible because The Galloping Ghost was so goddamned beautiful. This fucks with me a bit, because the sound it makes before crashing isn't terrifying to me, in fact it sounds beautiful. It sounds REALLY GOOD. It's after the crash where the audio is no longer beautiful.

I don't want to feel like a dick for being so bummed out about the demise of the GG, but c'mon, it really bums me out.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
JIMMY LEEWARD: HATE KLANIKAZE?

http://youtu.be/pFnRTGyVqAM

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

InterceptorV8 posted:

That is such a lovely joke, I'm loving reporting it.

Eh, he's allowed to make his lovely jokes, and we're allowed to hate and troll him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

The Locator posted:

From Popular Mechanics - http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...click=pm_latest

Dear GOD. 22 Gs? He was a puddle.