Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...

Mobius1B7R posted:

Work on the ramp can be pretty lame, but I get to see 757s every day.

IMHO, the 757 is the Constellation of our age. Beautiful aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Pretty sick vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPxk_A5YcxY&feature=related
So pissed im color blind.

The Thunderbird pilot swatting at debris floating in the cockpit while doing an 8 point roll is *awesome*.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

cloudstrife2993 posted:

How's this for aeronautical insanity?

The Piasecki Helistat

Bonus crash video

Just a little bit short of computational horsepower required:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBsJwapanWI&feature=player_embedded

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Phy posted:

These just get more and more terrifying. It's bad enough that one of them sounds like a swarm of flies all on its own. Then we found out they could flip themselves through a moving window like a goddamn flying Wallenda. Now they can gang up on you and pick you up by your head?

I'll take a pursuing swam of flies over this any day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBMU6l6GsdM

Scarier than flying monkeys, if you ask me.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

That image grabbed me, too. Thanks for the desktop!

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

(error!)

galliumscan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 23, 2011

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

co199 posted:

That's cause it's not a Spitfire! Looks like a Sea Fury if I ever saw one.

Yep, and it's THIS ONE:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Uh, THIS ONE

(poo poo - the internet is not being kind to me and my images today - apologies)

galliumscan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 23, 2011

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

(re-post from GBS, to a forum where there might be more enlightened comments)

Re: earlier comment about "airplanes lose their trim tabs all the time"...

Early P-51's were delivered with cloth covered elevators (the moving surface, not the fixed horizontal stabilizer); later versions were retrofitted with metal covered elevators. Cloth covered were used to reduce the incidence of aerodynamic flutter, as they were more naturally damped. The loss of the tab could have indicated that there was a failure due to flutter.

It's also possible (any others know more about this?) that this was a booster tab, used to actually drive the elevator - the control linkage moves the tab down, the elevator moves up in reaction, the plane goes up in response to that. No booster, no elevator.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Lucky enough to get to see (and hear and feel) this fly over every month or so...

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Where do you live?

Since last summer, FiFi has a new home at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum at Addison Airport in north Dallas. I live about 1/4 mile south, and about one mile east of the end of the runway, right under the departure path for winds from the south (about 80% of the time).

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

The NTSB released the proximate cause of the crash of the Galloping Ghost as high speed flutter due to loosening fasteners in the elevator trip tab assembly. There is an amazing amount of data (ie, science) in the docket:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=51746&CFID=256561&CFTOKEN=82086778

with a final report synopsis here:

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/2012/reno_nv/index.html

The most damming quote from the report summary is:

“In Reno, the fine line between observing risk and being impacted by the consequences when something goes wrong was crossed,” said NTSB Chairman Deborah A. P. Hersman. “The pilots understood the risks they assumed; the spectators assumed their safety had been assessed and addressed.”

galliumscan posted:

(re-post from GBS, to a forum where there might be more enlightened comments)

Re: earlier comment about "airplanes lose their trim tabs all the time"...

Early P-51's were delivered with cloth covered elevators (the moving surface, not the fixed horizontal stabilizer); later versions were retrofitted with metal covered elevators. Cloth covered were used to reduce the incidence of aerodynamic flutter, as they were more naturally damped. The loss of the tab could have indicated that there was a failure due to flutter.

It's also possible (any others know more about this?) that this was a booster tab, used to actually drive the elevator - the control linkage moves the tab down, the elevator moves up in reaction, the plane goes up in response to that. No booster, no elevator.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

At Alliance Airport, north of Ft. Worth, TX. Crappy zoomed phone image, but as close as I could get.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Magugu posted:

One of my Favorite aircraft Is the F-82 Twin Mustang. Take one of the most epic aircraft in history and double it. There is one on static display at Lackland AFB in San Antonio (along with an sr-71).

Way back when, it was easy for anyone to just drive on base to see this display. Is that even possible today?

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Nice example of keeping your head and flying the plane (helicopter).

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

To add a bit of quantitation to the discussion:

http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Laser-hazard-distance-chart.pdf

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Saw Burt Rutan doing a Q&A on the White Knight II mothership, claiming that it was the largest, and best, aerobatics aircraft the world had ever known...

Seeing a football field doing snap rolls is my poo poo.

Barrel rolls, maybe. Snap, no. You still have to deal with inertia along the thrust axis, and that thing has football fields worth of inertia.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

That's a cold solder joint if ever I've seen one. It was bad from birth, cracking or no. I blame lead-free solder.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Timmy Cruise posted:

What would that be used for? Research?

It would be really good for this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...3ba3_story.html

tl;dr: orbit an ultra-high resolution camera over a crime-ridden area of the city, DVR'ing the action. Crime happens, play forward and backward from the event to know where the perps came from, where they went. Nab the bastards. Privacy violation? Maybe, or not.

galliumscan fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

You gotta be thirteen to be the remote pilot in charge, so I think you need to have an adult on a buddy box. Either that, or maybe you just have to have an adult nearby making sure you don't fly your Super Cub into a 747. Consult your lawyer / your local AMA field's rules.

Tell that to this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJs1gBLiuQ

There are videos of him just "flying" at 4.