Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yep, if we could mine pure H2 and pure O2 to stick in the rockets, we could put everybody into orbit. Unfortunately, nobody has made a Hydrogen mine yet, so you have to create it yourself, either from water or from hydrocarbon based sources like natural gas. O2 you pretty much have to get from the air.

The Hydrocarbon based approach isn't green; and thanks to the pesky laws of thermodynamics you need to put even more energy into creating the H2 and O2 than you get out of it if you're cracking water. All of that energy costs money, lots of money for the quantities involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I can't imagine that the military really gets much from the ticket sales at an airshow. I think it's considered more of a recruiting/advertising expense. Plus, it's where old planes go right before they're to be retired. The Blue Angels will be the first to tell you that they fly the oldest FA-18s in the Navy.