Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ola posted:

That made me wonder too. There is quite a lot of glass fiber aircraft around, is it very different from carbon fiber?
Short answer: Glass fibre has lost of short, random threads all mish-mashed at different angles, whereas carbon fibres are in woven sheets like a cloth. To take advantage of CF construction, you pay attention to the direction the fibres are running in, as well as the thickness/number of layers. You can also "tune" a structure to behave in a certain way under different loading directions by having more fibres running in one direction than in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nerobro posted:

No. Every bit of structural fiberglass I have seen on an aircraft was done with cloth made exactly the same way as carbon...
*shrug* If someone's asking about the difference between glassfibre and carbon fibre, I figured a very, very simplified lie overview would be best. Maybe I went too far.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

The publisher is out of their minds not to reprint it.
It would seem that what they should really do is reprint it and not tell anyone. That "Only XX copies remaining" has got a lot of profitable life left in it before anyone cottons on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boomerjinks posted:

That's really, really loving cool. I'm still lobbying for a helicopter to fly me away from my ceremony in July.
I really hope you mean "us".

quote:

Currently the girl insists that her dress will be "too big" for a helicopter.
Well, search and rescue craft have the facility to carry loads underslung from the winch...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slo-Tek posted:

I just took a 26 hour each way flight, in coach, on DELTA, which means 30 year old Northwest aircraft. Movies projected on screens on the bulkheads, Remember those? From the 80's?
As long as the movies are also from the eighties, that sounds survivable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Manny posted:

The same company is selling a TSR2 engine, serial number 1 for £250,000.
Eagerly awaiting a job lot of Nimrod parts to be listed. £4,000,000,000 or best offer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

Oh thank gently caress, I was beginning to think I was the only person who thought this. Seriously, just reading the 9001 requirements as an intern, all I could think was "this is the vaguest, most useless 'no duh' bullshit I've ever read, are we seriously spending millions of dollars just to get certified for having common sense?"

Of course the answer was that companies don't have any loving common sense, that's why horribly vague rear end-covering requirements and certifications exist.
They say that the key to being smart is knowing what you're bad at - ISO 9001 just formalises that. You might still be making something that's crap, but it's measurably and repeatably crap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Random shuttle-related Googling leads me to this:
http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/december/178743/NASA-offers-space-shuttle-tiles-to-school-and-universities

So if you have any swing with your local educational establishment (USA only, I'd expect), get them to crack open their chequebooks to the tune of $24 and get a genuine shuttle heatshield tile for their science department. Or history department, as shall soon be equally appropriate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm guessing this is probably the best thread for marking the fiftieth anniversary of Gagarin's Vostok flight. :toot:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

You wouldn't even need the mate/demate tools when you get there, so it would probably be the cheapest to transfer!
I can see it now - all the kit to demount the orbiter is left behind, gets mothballed, and eventually either scrapped, lost or allowed to get into such a bad state it's unusable. And then the things are stuck like that, forever...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BonzoESC posted:

I've never been on a large ship that has wings.
You probably have, and don't realise it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

:science: Smokey Yunick had a hard card* for Eastern Airlines that allowed him to fly wherever he wanted to go at any time. It was issued to him personally by Eddie Rickenbacker.
:j: "Sir, you appear to have falsified your baggage weight by 250lbs over your permitted allowance, and customs want to know why you're drinking your duty-free through ten feet of garden hose"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can we get a :toot: for the 50th anniversary of Alan Shepard's Mercury flight?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's up to you, but it's just a generic Ti screw. We've probably got a few tubs of similar ones on the shop floor at the minute. If you attach significance to it, fair enough, but doing it to have "a wedding ring made with SR-71 components" would just be silly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They need to fit the nosecones with a pair of 130' whiskers. Works for cats...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

You just know there was at least one poor bastard in there when it happened.
That's make me go :gonk:. Not because of the foam itself, but because it instantly brings to mind the dissolving bubble weapon Thrush had in The Man From Uncle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saga posted:

By "uncool", do you mean screaming and making GBS threads yourself convulsively at 35,000 feet?
I was rather hoping he meant "Oh, I say, that's a bother" :wotwot:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Pallets don't bitch.
This, and the fact you're effectively looking at an airborne white van man. Besides a company/pool vehicle, of any kind, means you thrash it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Right Stuff for, well, everybody. It's still awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PatrickBateman posted:

NWA business class seats
They certainly seem to have enough room for you to express yourself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was always under the impression that you wear the type of footwear you'd want to run through burning flames or twisted metal should anything happen.
Well, if you're on a flight that stands a chance of being diverted to Detroit, I'm sure you'll dress appropriately.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BonzoESC posted:

Does Deltalina wagging her finger at you really get you that hot and bothered?
It just makes me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6EFotzBoY

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm sat in one of Rolls Royce's plants at the minute, but apparently the security guys will give me a kicking if I wander off to take photos of stuff. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, this is kind of aircraft-related, but mostly it's a question.

Can someone tell me what the ever-living gently caress is going on here?

http://light-eternal.com/theairbuscodes/the_hudson_airbus_crash.htm

It's like :tinfoil::catdrugs: and about eight other smilies all in one page of :bahgawd: ranting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much do you think they want for an A10?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a game. You have to guess which one contains Winston Churchill.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Useless trivia: When the Paris gun was used to shell, well, Paris, the first assumption made by those at the receiving end was that it was a very high-altitude Zeppelin dropping bombs.

Also, those shells were supposedly the first manmade objects to hit the stratosphere. Only tenuously related to this thread, but I find stuff like that interesting...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Not always :scotland:

e: info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Glasgow_International_Airport_attack

quote:

Smeaton, a bag handler, was off duty when he saw the incident start to develop. He later recalled his first thoughts on being confronted by the two desperate suspects who drove a burning jeep filled with explosives into the airport entrance. He heard three explosions as he smoked a cigarette during his break: "What's the score? I've got to get this sorted."

He added "I thought, 'That's not right,' and ran over to assist. All that was going through my mind was I've got to help the policeman, I'm not letting these guys get away with this."

It was reported that Smeaton shouted "fuckin' mon, then" and aimed a kick in the testicles at Kafeel Ahmed
Glasgow.txt

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Alpine Mustache posted:

For the first pass we were inside since it was windy as gently caress and we figured it would go up the river. But no, it went RIGHT OVER OUR BUILDING. For the return pass we all went up on the roof.

There were people on the Gizmodo article's comments talking about how, you know, things flying over NYC only remind them of September 11th, and that makes them sad, and the whole thing was terribly misjudged.

:fuckoff: isn't strong enough.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

as soon as I scrolled to this image the Airwolf theme started playing in my head like someone flipped a goddamn switch.
Oh, you bastard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I motion a permaban for Nebakenezzer if it isn't within the next couple of months.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dr JonboyG posted:

Interesting article on American Airlines trying to get out of having sold people unlimited passes back in the 80s and 90s: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0506-golden-ticket-20120506,0,3094073,full.story
They should have just sucked it up and accepted they made a bad decision. I genuinely view having the "lifetime ticket" fliers as being a positive PR thing for them, especially given that they "fixed" the pricing issue.

On the other hand, the article does note Jacques Vroom as wearing Crocs in public, which does not endear him to me greatly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Welp, looks like the UK is going back to ordering F-35Bs rather than F-35Cs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18008171

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:3: That's adorable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

These guys would like to have a word with you :colbert:

:golfclap:

Hopefully we can repatriate it and restore it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mlmp08 posted:

But yeah, I love the idea of a big stealth insane aircraft carrier airship for the purpose of transporting around some antiquated Harriers.
The UK MOD would do it if they could.

CommieGIR posted:

Yep. And I think most Airliners also carry GCAS (Ground Collision Avoidance System) which, in conjunction with Radar Altimeter's would keep you from hitting the ground. And GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System)
Yes, but you forget that Chief Engineer Moiles O'Blimey was involved. It was probably hosed, and he couldn't find anyone to crawl through the Jefferies Tube to fix it.

Phanatic posted:

Also, you can't just switch between blanks and real rounds with a machine gun by swapping magazines;
:words:
You missed the part where it's John loving McClane.

I do understand, though. That episode of CSI where they have a bus crash because of a bolt breaking? I was practically throwing things at the TV in rage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I let films like Avengers Assemble* get away with a hell of a lot, because my suspension of disbelief is directly proportional to how much I'm enjoying myself.

* The UK gets a different title, to prevent us thinking that Black Widow is Emma Peel, and wondering why John Steed is now a black cyclops.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

I see how paint weight can affect fuel economy but never thought it would be drastic enough to determine the paint job! I love learning fun facts like this.
That's how Mercedes ended up with a tradition of silver racing cars: Not painting aluminium bodies.

movax posted:

Look at some pictures of older FedEx jets (before the damned arrow logo), they were big purple jets instead of white. If I recall correctly, either the purple paint ended up costing more because it got degraded by UV quicker (meaning more frequent repaints) or the white paint was cheaper/lighter.
Of course it's lighter, it's titanium white! :rolleye:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 21, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not like they were going to be in the air long enough for it to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This did not end well. See that F-104N with the orange flash on the tail? It's about to hit the XB-70.

Supposedly caused largely by the wingtip votices from the larger plane just dragging the thing in.

Useless trivia: The plane that photograph was taken from was Frank Sinatra's Learjet.